• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fix up the clunker or get a new bike?

bvibert

Staff member
It's my fault. We've been talking about fixing his bike, to which I responded that since he's likely to spend nearly as much as to get a new bike anyway, why not just get a new one. The bike he's on now is his Dad's and quite old; even his Dad said it's not likely to last much longer.

That said, sub-1K is the goal, otherwise it won't happen this year. Don't know how reasonable that is, but he managed before on the other Specialized before being given the better bike; that was somewhere around $500 or $600, IIRC.

Well sub-1K isn't likely to happen for a full bike, so I guess I'm buying parts...

Greg

Staff member
unfortunatly thats a very good frame with crappy components. If it was someone smaller than Brian that stuff may last a while. But at his size he would be replacing most of that stuff very soon. Its always alot cheaper to buy a bike with good components than one with junk and upgrading as stuff breaks.

I get it, but it's not like they are all going to fall apart on him right away. Just looking at it as a way to get him on something for relative cheap that's probably a million times better than what he's on now. Of course if the budget allows for it, buy better up front, but it sounds like sub $1K is the goal. I know the $700 frame and build up over the summer would result in a better bike in the end, but if Brian is anything like me, instant gratification is a requirement. :lol:

MR. evil

bvibert

Staff member
Brian is anything like me, instant gratification is a requirement. :lol:

Yes, that is normally true. In this case though it might make more sense to piece something together as I have the money.

What I'll most likely end up doing is buying wheels, fork and brakes for my current bike that would also work on a new frame down the road. I may be able to get by with the fork I have on there now for a little while, but I think it's on it's last legs.

bvibert

Staff member
Frame - $699
http://www.rscycle.com/2008-Iron-Horse-MKIII-Frame-All-Mountain?sc=11&category=27532

Build kit - $330
http://greenfishsports.com/product/...ce-Face-Evolve-Sram-X9-All-MTN-Build-Kit.html

Fork - $279
http://www.bicyclebuys.com/item/1665487

Wheels - $50
Mr.evil special

Total - $1358

My advice still stands – pick up that frame soon if you can, & get the rest of the parts when you can afford them over the season

Definitely an intriguing idea. That fork looks like a pretty good deal, do you know anything about it?

Jisch

I have one of those forks on my son's bike. It seems pretty solid and being a coil its pretty bombproof. We've had it about 4 years and its been really smooth throughout.

John

MR. evil

Definitely an intriguing idea. That fork looks like a pretty good deal, do you know anything about it?

Its a pretty good fork. The only thing I don't like about it is the SPV dampening platform. Its kind of like propedal in a fork. I prefer Manitou's TPC dampening that I have in my Nixon. But your also pretty mechanically inclined. There are detailedinstructions online for how to remove the SPV valve in that shock and make it more plush. I am a big fan or Manitou forks, they are a very good value compared to Fox and RS

MR. evil

The good thing about the fork suggested it that it has adjustable travel. So you could set it for around 100mm of travel and use it on your current bike, and also use it on a new ride at full travel. You just need to make sure you don't cut the steerer tube too short

bvibert

Staff member
The good thing about the fork suggested it that it has adjustable travel. So you could set it for around 100mm of travel and use it on your current bike, and also use it on a new ride at full travel. You just need to make sure you don't cut the steerer tube too short

Yup, that adjustability wasn't lost on me. I'd probably have to crank it all the way down to 90mm to keep the geometry from getting too effed up. The head tube on my current bike is pretty long, and I use a bunch of spacers, so I doubt that I'd cut the steerer tube too short. I'd probably leave it a bit long and put a spacer on top of the stem just to be on the safe side though.

Greg

Staff member
So....any decisions here? You have ~ 2 months... :lol:

bvibert

Staff member
Brian

You wouldn’t happen to need a new front Der? I just ordered one for my bike only to realize it’s the wrong one. If I can avoid having to return it that would be nice.

This is the one I ordered by accident, it cost me $35
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=25203&category=76

I don't need one for my current bike, and that one wouldn't work anyway since it uses an E-type derailleur.

If I get a new frame then I'll need one then, but I'm not entirely committed to that idea yet.