• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

brainwashing your kids

SkiDork

thats great and this is in no way directed at you but i hate it when someone says o i was riding for 3 days and i could go down any black i wanted. sure ya can but does it look gracefull or have any style. it took me 10 years to be able to ride the way i do and to quote will smith "i make it look good" what some people actually call a carve is a joke. they skid into the turn, set an edge, then skid out of the turn and unweight to the other edge. its one thing when your riding down the side of the trail in the suger throwing surf slash turns because its fun but when on open groomer it should be half circles with a 1 or 2 foot gap between them. you can ask anyone that i have rode with when i am carving there is no mistaking it.

I agree . I wouldn't go near blacks without a few years under my belt.

madskier6

My wife & I started all 4 of our children out on skis. It's what we know & we figured it would be a good foundation for either skiing or snowboarding. 2 stayed on skis & 2 switched over to snowboarding. I didn't do anything to sway them either way. They made up their own minds after observing the mountain culture over the years.

While I might have preferred that they all stay on skis, as long as they're sliding on snow & having fun, I don't care what form it takes. At least we all get to be together on the mountain on winter family outings (except at MRG of course :wink:).

jaywbigred

Here is what worked for my kids - take them to ski where most of the skiers are good and most of the snowboarders just sit around in groups blocking the skiers and fall or sideslip down anything remotely challenging. :grin:
You mean almost everywhere??????

thats great and this is in no way directed at you but i hate it when someone says o i was riding for 3 days and i could go down any black i wanted. sure ya can but does it look gracefull or have any style. it took me 10 years to be able to ride the way i do and to quote will smith "i make it look good" what some people actually call a carve is a joke. they skid into the turn, set an edge, then skid out of the turn and unweight to the other edge. its one thing when your riding down the side of the trail in the suger throwing surf slash turns because its fun but when on open groomer it should be half circles with a 1 or 2 foot gap between them. you can ask anyone that i have rode with when i am carving there is no mistaking it.

Hardline, I wish every snowboarder had your sensibilities, skill and attitude. Watching someone like you ripping linked, carved snowboard turns is as pure as it gets; to me, a skier, it is better than watching a similarly skilled person do the same on skis. Unfortunately, it is my opinion (which of course could be wrong) that on your average black trail, you are much more likely to find the skiers linking carved turns than the snowboarders/sideslippers.

4aprice

i'll be honest, when i first got my son started i really pushed him toward skiing over snowboarding. in my mind i felt it would be easier on both of us for him to take up the same "style" as his father. besides, i took him to Mohawk in CT for his first lessons and they had a "rule" that you had to be 8 for riding lessons vs. any age for skiing (i think he was 6 or 7).

i made a deal with him, he would start on skis and then when he turned 8 he could try snowboarding. around the time he turned 10 he remembered the offer but at that time said he was happy to stick with skiing. a few years later he tried snowboarding on his own, a neighbor was taking her kids to Southtington to try riding and my son tagged along. he didn't like it and has never asked to try again.

We had the same situation and the same outcome. Daughter now 15 teaches skiing and my son now 12 is a J4 Racer. Niether have any interest in Snowboarding.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

the only thing that will not be excepted in my house snowlerblades.

This past summer, I briefly dated a girl who was a snowlerblader..or skiboarder..anyway if things would have worked out..maybe I would have joined the darkside and get on some blades...and the snowlerbladers on the tram at Jackson Hole were a trip without a suitcase..

If I ever spread my seed..I hope my offspring are into Basketball..much cheaper than Skiing..how am I going to afford uber deluxe heli-skiing adventures if I have to buy my kid skis..

Paul

I agree . I wouldn't go near blacks without a few years under my belt.

thatsracistgm751224856460.gif

Are you really this big of a dipshit, or is it an act?

not everybody gets my sense of humor..but the ones who do think I'm funny..you set that up posting the video...

See you tried to be sarcastic..and I pretended like I didn't get it..even though I did..and now you're like WTF..GSS is cooler than me..

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
You mean almost everywhere??????

Hardline, I wish every snowboarder had your sensibilities, skill and attitude. Watching someone like you ripping linked, carved snowboard turns is as pure as it gets; to me, a skier, it is better than watching a similarly skilled person do the same on skis. Unfortunately, it is my opinion (which of course could be wrong) that on your average black trail, you are much more likely to find the skiers linking carved turns than the snowboarders/sideslippers.

thanks and unfortunatly your 100% right. most kids that start riding now dont take the time to learn the basics of riding. learning how to carve is the base skill that allows you to progress on to riding anything. with the younger kids i ride with i work really hard with them to get the do very deliberate carves so the can keep their speed in check. i have noticed that the smallers boards do not carve as well as the larger length boards but it good practice for when the step up to a longer ride. in a few years time these kids will be chasing me all over the mountain with uber steeze. what really need is to find someother people i can ride with that push me. it really has not been the case in the last few years. one of the reasons i really want to get out of the city and back into the mountains for a few years.