• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

brainwashing your kids

gmcunni

My son and i were skiing sundown yesterday (yes, sorry, another sundown thread and yes, bumps are involved). I was quite pleased that my son was really getting into skiing the bumps. He skies pretty good now and to be fair when we ski we alternate picking the trails. At sundown my choice is always the same but Jake historically didn't like bumps. The last two times we've been out he's starting liking bumps more and more to the point where most of his picks yesterday were to ski temptor. I was psyched, he was having fun and i got to practice more.

The last chair ride we're going up and NASTAR had just started. I pointed out the the course and that i'd have paid for him to take runs if we had more time. He turned to me and said, if that was the case he'd have spent his day on the course instead of in the moguls!! :-o i've obviously failed to complete his mental conditioning :lol:

bvibert

Staff member
My son and i were skiing sundown yesterday (yes, sorry, another sundown thread and yes, bumps are involved). I was quite pleased that my son was really getting into skiing the bumps. He skies pretty good now and to be fair when we ski we alternate picking the trails. At sundown my choice is always the same but Jake historically didn't like bumps. The last two times we've been out he's starting liking bumps more and more to the point where most of his picks yesterday were to ski temptor. I was psyched, he was having fun and i got to practice more.

The last chair ride we're going up and NASTAR had just started. I pointed out the the course and that i'd have paid for him to take runs if we had more time. He turned to me and said, if that was the case he'd have spent his day on the course instead of in the moguls!! :-o i've obviously failed to complete his mental conditioning :lol:

You almost had him, but then you had to mention NASTAR. Next time keep your mouth shut. ;)

Greg

Staff member
Wait until Jake gets a few warm sunny days on a bumped up Gunbarrel under his belt. Those NASTAR gates will be a distant memory. :lol: :razz:

I've been brain washing my kids since they were both 18 months old. Now they both ski and seem to really love it. Not sure they'll eventually take to ripping bumps or not, but seeing Paul's and your daughter ski them is encouraging. Sundown is going to create a lot of little rippers in the years to come.

jack97

Not sure they'll eventually take to ripping bumps or not, but seeing Paul's and your daughter ski them is encouraging. Sundown is going to create a lot of little rippers in the years to come.

Tell your kids they won't have a puppy until they can rip a zipperline.... gotta find the right motivation.

powhunter

yep me and Tim were riding up the lift yesterday watching the kids in the ex bumps and I was saying yep the future of the C.L.I.T.S is right there lol

steveo

Grassi21

Our son is being brainwashed on two fronts. He already has 4 lacrosse sticks and has watched ton of college lax games with me on the couch. Every time he sees a stick or an article of clothing with a stick on it he get excited. If he is walking this Spring I will have him at HS lax practice when I'm coaching.

While I was watching a college lax scrimmage on Saturday my wife took our little guy to the ski jumps in CT. At home he sees my skis or boots and he looses his mind. They watched the jumps near the area where the skiers land. When the jumpers would pop their skis off he would start yelling at them. He even obtained his first cow bell. The boy has watched every Meathead film we own, some Warren Miller, and one from TGR. He has also watched every Sundown bump video that gets posted.

Dr Skimeister

I'm trying to think of good ways to brainwash my kid into skiing and not snowboarding. And I don't even have a kid yet.

Battling peer pressure is one of parenting's biggest challenges.

Both my daughters snowboard, but at least my son still skis.

gmcunni

i hope yo say that with jest

i'll be honest, when i first got my son started i really pushed him toward skiing over snowboarding. in my mind i felt it would be easier on both of us for him to take up the same "style" as his father. besides, i took him to Mohawk in CT for his first lessons and they had a "rule" that you had to be 8 for riding lessons vs. any age for skiing (i think he was 6 or 7).

i made a deal with him, he would start on skis and then when he turned 8 he could try snowboarding. around the time he turned 10 he remembered the offer but at that time said he was happy to stick with skiing. a few years later he tried snowboarding on his own, a neighbor was taking her kids to Southtington to try riding and my son tagged along. he didn't like it and has never asked to try again.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
i hope you say that with jest

Yes, I mean it with tongue-in-cheek. I'm sure I will want him/her to ski so I can help him/her learn and share something in common with him/her, but it's not like I'm going to refuse to pay for a lift ticket if he/she chooses boarding over skiing. Obviously he/she will be able to choose any style he/she wants.

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
I'm trying to think of good ways to brainwash my kid into skiing and not snowboarding. And I don't even have a kid yet.

Here is what worked for my kids - take them to ski where most of the skiers are good and most of the snowboarders just sit around in groups blocking the skiers and fall or sideslip down anything remotely challenging. Also, point out how the skiers throw bigger & better tricks in the parks than the boarders. Add observations about those goofy patterned jackets so many are wearing these days and you have it knocked!

:grin:

drjeff

Here is what worked for my kids - take them to ski where most of the skiers are good and most of the snowboarders just sit around in groups blocking the skiers and fall or sideslip down anything remotely challenging. Also, point out how the skiers throw bigger & better tricks in the parks than the boarders. Add observations about those goofy patterned jackets so many are wearing these days and you have it knocked!

Nice, I'll have to remember that one ;) ;) :lol: I just tell mine now that whatever they want to do on SKIS as they grow up(racing/bumps/parks/whatever) is fine and that me and my wife will provide them with their gear. But, if they snowboard, then all their gear comes from their allowance :eek: ;) :lol: ;)

Seriously though, as long as I see a smile on my kids faces and hear that they're having a good time and are excited about being on the hill, thats all that matters to me and my wife

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside

that is untill they meet a boarder like me and say "daddy i wana be cool like him" 5 kids on my lake have made the switch in the last 2 years.

SkiDork

Iceman knows... If and when the time comes for him to get on a board and ride.. He'll be well able to handle it with a few days practice.. Starting out skiing gave him those skillz

hardline

Iceman knows... If and when the time comes for him to get on a board and ride.. He'll be well able to handle it with a few days practice.. Starting out skiing gave him those skillz

hey i agree i spent 8 years on ski's before i droped a plank. it gices you and understanding of how to use edges. granted my ski's where as straight as a 2x4 but experiance is experiance.

SkiDork

hey i agree i spent 8 years on ski's before i droped a plank. it gices you and understanding of how to use edges. granted my ski's where as straight as a 2x4 but experiance is experiance.

nice reply...

I'm a little overweight these days, and my knees sorta suck..

I'm seriously considering taking up snowboarding to compensate for those things..

For all the naysayers - I've been on a snowboard 3 times... Lets just say the 3rd time I was able to make it all the way down Snowshed without falling...

hardline

nice reply...

I'm a little overweight these days, and my knees sorta suck..

I'm seriously considering taking up snowboarding to compensate for those things..

For all the naysayers - I've been on a snowboard 3 times... Lets just say the 3rd time I was able to make it all the way down Snowshed without falling...

thats great and this is in no way directed at you but i hate it when someone says o i was riding for 3 days and i could go down any black i wanted. sure ya can but does it look gracefull or have any style. it took me 10 years to be able to ride the way i do and to quote will smith "i make it look good" what some people actually call a carve is a joke. they skid into the turn, set an edge, then skid out of the turn and unweight to the other edge. its one thing when your riding down the side of the trail in the suger throwing surf slash turns because its fun but when on open groomer it should be half circles with a 1 or 2 foot gap between them. you can ask anyone that i have rode with when i am carving there is no mistaking it.