• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Great Big FANY ride

Stache

Website
WWW.SKIWITHSTACHE.COM
Reviving (and editing) thread for 2011.
Signups are open and limited.
Shameless plug by the (Volunteer) driver of the gear truck.
FANY_2008_097.jpg

Five hundred miles Accross NY.

By all rider reports the best value, best organized, best loved, bike tour around.

www.Fanyride.com

PS. It is a Fund Raiser for the Double H Ranch for Kids with serious illnesses.

Last edited:

mlctvt

My wife and I will do this ride but probably not this year. A few years ago we were on the Bonton Roulet ride in the Finger Lakes that raqn the same week that year, there was a group on the Fany ride staying in the same hotel. They were all having a great time. Many of them had done the ride multiple times.
Thanks for volunteering, these types of rides couldn’t exist with people like you!

Stache

Website
WWW.SKIWITHSTACHE.COM
2010 = 10th Annual

Well, I just signed up for my fifth year as the Gear Truck Driver.
This is the TENTH year for the FANY
I will have been on half of them!!! :flag:
Five hundred miles Accross NY.
Check it out for yourself.
www.FANYride.com.

Last edited:

Stache

Website
WWW.SKIWITHSTACHE.COM
Trip Report FANY 2010

The tenth (my 5th) was the best one yet!!!!!

And because all the others were so awesome that is truly saying something.

143 riders, 6 support staff, 500 miles, too many celebration cakes, a gadjillion smiles and views and laughs and just soooooo much fun. It is kinda like when you were a kid and for a couple years you looked forward to the same week at summer camp to see those same friends again. That is what the FANY ride has become for me.

Photos here:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery...321803&cm_mmc=eMail-_-Share-_-Photos-_-Sharee

I still have to edit and caption them and delete some of the "undesireables". My daughter went crazy taking pictures in Watkins Glen with some of them being unbelievable captures of water and rocks and sky.

Last edited:

mlctvt

After talking about doing this ride for years my wife and I and some friends are signed up for Fany 2011! We'll be staying in the hotels.

Will you be driving in 2011 Stache?

Stache

Website
WWW.SKIWITHSTACHE.COM
I was gonna wait until May 2nd to bump this but.....

Got an email from the organizer today saying they are way ahead on signups (ytd) so if you are on the fence I would jump before you can only look at the greener grass from the other side. Sign ups are limited.

mlctvt

Stache- We just had 2 more sign up before the May 1 price increase.
Our group is now up to 8 riders. 2 will be on a Tandem.
My wife and I decided to ride our single bikes instead of our tandem for this ride. We've done several century rides on the tandem last year but not multiple 75 mile days yet. Plus the singles are easier to get into hotels each night.

Now we've got to keep the rain away. Every organized ride we've ever done in the state of New York it rained. 7 days staright on the BonTon Roulet (in 2004 I think).

Stache

Website
WWW.SKIWITHSTACHE.COM
TR - FANY 2011 the "Best" Ever?

So what makes a ride the "Best"?
Is it the route? The weather? the campsites? the food? Well, the one reason, or should I say the one hundred plus reasons, I keep coming back each year is the People. The old friends I get to be with again and the new friends I get to make along the way. While every FANY as been Fantastic, I honestly think this years group was the best ever. Thanks to all the FANY riders who made my week special again. I hope to see you all back next year (but without those oversized bags, you know who you are).