• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bump skiing pants

Grassi21

I'll ask the dumb question:dunce:-- and I apologize if its answered in the thread and I missed it-- what makes patches or knee pads important for bump skiing other than "steaziness". Flame away..... but I simply must know...perhaps my bump struggles are due to my patchless pants :wink:? I thought I had narrowed the issues to either skis or bindings (having purchased both new short poles and better fitting boots this year). If I need new pants too, I will definitely have to get a better deal on Greg's cabrawlers....

I believe it helps observe/grade a bump skier's turns. I think the patches make the motion of the turn stand out more.

Greg

Staff member
I'll ask the dumb question:dunce:-- and I apologize if its answered in the thread and I missed it-- what makes patches or knee pads important for bump skiing other than "steaziness". Flame away..... but I simply must know...perhaps my bump struggles are due to my patchless pants :wink:? I thought I had narrowed the issues to either skis or bindings (having purchased both new short poles and better fitting boots this year). If I need new pants too, I will definitely have to get a better deal on Greg's cabrawlers....

Looking steezy is for park rats. Mogul pants make bump skiers look RADICAL. You have a lot to learn...

;)

powbmps

Something to do with making the knees (and their movements) more visible to the judges.

Also adds a little extra durability for working around the house.

SkiDork

its really for the judges benefit if you're competing. If you're not competing, its simply for Steeeeeze!!!

Madroch

Live and learn.. thanks! Actually makes sense, I guess... I'll stick with my pants and hope the "blur" fools em...

gmcunni

here is an example where knee patches show the judges the quality of your turns:
gregsnowplowresize.JPG

:flame::wink::wink::wink:

mondeo

It's a visual cue to help analyze the quality of turns. With solid color pants, you can be bringing your knees up to your waist and it won't necessarily look like you're absorbing. Put a different color on the knees (actually, top half of the shin,) and the relative motion between the knees and upper body becomes much more apparent. The other thing it helps is to identify is how tight the stance is. There's probably a few more things, but basically it's to help judge turns.

One of the reasons I want them is because I spend a good amount of time watching any video of me that gets posted here trying to pick apart my turns. If my feet and skis are hidden behind bumps, it's hard to tell if I'm using A&E or just turning. The pants would help that.

Grassi21

here is an example where knee patches show the judges the quality of your turns:
gregsnowplowresize.JPG

why does he have his bib # all the way up on his thigh.... its not a garter for pete's sake...

Greg

Staff member
Stills can be so cruel. I just got owned. :lol:

2knees

gregsnowplowresize.JPG

i've heard of an iron cross, hell i've even thrown a few, but i've never heard of the iron cross TURN.

Greg

Staff member
I got no good defense for that gaperific display. Keep it coming. It's well deserved... :oops: :lol:

Greg

Staff member
why does he have his bib # all the way up on his thigh.... its not a garter for pete's sake...

Hmm. Actually, if I'm not mistaken I think that whole display (tag up on the thigh, pizza wedge goose stompin' turn) is known as "The Grassi":

focusresize.JPG

I need to pick up some baggy houndstooth pants to complete the look. :lol:

2knees

One of the reasons I want them is because I spend a good amount of time watching any video of me that gets posted here trying to pick apart my turns. If my feet and skis are hidden behind bumps, it's hard to tell if I'm using A&E or just turning. The pants would help that.

thats a load of crap. you want them cause you think they make you look super dope.

Grassi21

Hmm. Actually, if I'm not mistaken I think that whole display (tag up on the thigh, pizza wedge goose stompin' turn) is known as "The Grassi":

focusresize.JPG

Ugh. I can take my lumps man. I also just realized how crappy those goggles look...

Grassi21

focusresize.JPG

Another thing to note is that my muscular thighs broke the red string used to tie the bib on. I think Greg's kept slipping down his puny chicken legs. ;-)

2knees

mondeo_2.jpg

i still like this one.

It looks like he's trying to blow himself.