• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for some hiking/slackcountry this weekend

urban07sti

Seeing as though I think most resorts I ski at will be packed and with somewhat marginal conditions, I was thinking of hiking with a buddy this weekend. Looking for a place where I can hike and then ski/board down. Driving out of Boston, something within a 2-2.5 hr window would be ideal. Not trying to poach some super secret stash, just want to head up and do something a little different.

I'm waiting for the spring to do Tucks, unless Tuck's avy danger is low right now. Thanks!

icedtea

I hiked last Sunday a mountain by Killington. The snow was real heavy and slabular. The hike up was more fun than the ride down.

PM me if you want some info.

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Seeing as though I think most resorts I ski at will be packed and with somewhat marginal conditions, I was thinking of hiking with a buddy this weekend. Looking for a place where I can hike and then ski/board down. Driving out of Boston, something within a 2-2.5 hr window would be ideal. Not trying to poach some super secret stash, just want to head up and do something a little different.

I'm waiting for the spring to do Tucks, unless Tuck's avy danger is low right now. Thanks!

I was thinking the same thing, but having second thoughts cause it might be all iced up.
If not, do THUNDERBOLT TRAIL!!!

rsf0000001

Go Big A

When I used to live in Maine we used to ski Agamenticus in York Maine. It's only an hour north of Boston and from what my family tells me they have had a great snow year this year. You can either hike or take turns driving to the summit. Check the NELSAP website for some more info.

powers

Mt. Cardigan is an easy hike/skin to the top of the Alexandrea trail. Mellow ride down as long as it isn't frozen death cookies. It's in the Newfound Lake region and an easy drive from Boston. Search it on here for trail reports and such. I might go on this sunday with the wife and dog. My 2 cents.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Cardigan is indeed a good close option to Boston but the Alexandria and Dukes trails are very mellow. Not very long either. Multiple laps would be needed to make it worth the drive.

You don't have to do Tucks to ski Mount Washington. Both the Gulf of Slides Ski Trail and the Sherburne Ski Trail are good options. You say "hike" so I don't know if you have skins, slow shoes, or boots. But the Sherburne gives you the option of a packed down Tuckerman Ravine Trail for the ascent if you don't have skins. Which if you don't and you do Cardigan, you should bring snow shoes.

Conditions right now in the BC are teh suck. Wet snow that is constantly switching between soft and ice depending on time of day. Hit it just right and you might have some corn. Hit it just wrong and it will be not good skiing.

For slack country, you could park a car and do Tuckerbrook.

urban07sti

Not sure where Tuckerbrook is? No skins, was planning on just hiking in decent snow boots or ski boots. Not an ideal backcountry setup I know...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Not sure where Tuckerbrook is? No skins, was planning on just hiking in decent snow boots or ski boots. Not an ideal backcountry setup I know...
Cannon.

Please get some snow shoes if you intend on hiking up any BC trails and probably most hiking trails. If you post hole the ski or hiking trail, your fellow BC'ers and snow enthusiasts will not look kindly upon you nor will you enjoy an easy hike up. Snow up here is DEEP. We are talking post holing crotch deep in many places. Without snow shoes, I strongly urge BC options that are accessible via a packed hiking trail. Tuckerman Ravine Trail to the Sherburne Ski Trail would be your best option, IMO.

urban07sti

I realize the courtesy of making holes. May just wait for better snow conditions and finally do Tuck's, we'll see.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
terrain that you can get to after taking the lift up, but requireing some minor hiking or traversing out of resort bounderies.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Slack as in slacker. As in slacking it on the lift instead of earning turns but still skiing away from the resort boundaries. A gateway a lot of skiers and riders start with before progressing to touring and earning turns.