• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sun vs. Snow

Geoff

In Vermont, I like April way better'n January. Vermont powder days are very overrated. I much prefer big mountain powder days where you have no frenzy because there's no sense that it's going to be tracked out in the obvious spots by 11:00 and in all but the most obscure spots by the end of the day. All my truly memorable powder days have been away from the east coast where I've encountered true top to bottom bottomless conditions many times. The best ones were in Chile or snowcat & heliskiing where I had absolutely no competition for the powder. Snowbird when the LCC road is closed all day. The Canyons in early April in waist deep blower with nobody there. Deer Valley in January when the Bogner people weren't skiing because it wasn't groomed and the Californians & Texans don't make trips because it's too cold. The aspen trees of Shadows at Steamboat in frozen smoke. The midmountain trees at Blackcomb when it's snowing 4" per hour all day.

In Vermont, I like April way better'n January. Vermont powder days are very overrated. I much prefer big mountain powder days where you have no frenzy because there's no sense that it's going to be tracked out in the obvious spots by 11:00 and in all but the most obscure spots by the end of the day. All my truly memorable powder days have been away from the east coast where I've encountered true top to bottom bottomless conditions many times. The best ones were in Chile or snowcat & heliskiing where I had absolutely no competition for the powder. Snowbird when the LCC road is closed all day. The Canyons in early April in waist deep blower with nobody there. Deer Valley in January when the Bogner people weren't skiing because it wasn't groomed and the Californians & Texans don't make trips because it's too cold. The aspen trees of Shadows at Steamboat in frozen smoke. The midmountain trees at Blackcomb when it's snowing 4" per hour all day.

I've had some sweet powder days at Stowe and Sugarbush..and tracked out by 11AM isn't a problem for me..that means powder from 8AM-11AM..I'll take it..I enjoy the frantic nature of powder days..

eatskisleep

Powder is where it's at, but Soft Spring Bumps are a close second...

RENO

Powder is #1! Tracked or untracked, it's all fun! As long as it's not below 0 and the winds aren't howling...
Spring corn is close 2nd. March and April are our favorite time to ski/ride...