• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic closed for the day

gmcunni

I'm a big fan of the warm weather, love skiing in it but there are consequences:

Magic Mtn. Snow Report

For Thursday February 12 we have decided to hold off operating the lifts for the day. There was some overnight rain and warm temperatures, but the East side of the mountain has held up quite well, especially on the snow making trails. In an effort to preserve snow and to get a chance to groom when it gets colder later in the day, we thought it best to wait out the remainder of the rain and warm weather and refrain from opening. We will re-open tomorrow after grooming out the slopes. Stay tuned for updates on the conditions, and we'll see you on Friday.

drjeff

My guess is that based on today's weather forcast and the timing of when the front/precip was going to blow through and turn on the wind machine, that there's a decent chance that Magic may very well have had more employees at the mountain today than customers - Today is looking like it's just not going to be a pretty one across New England

freezorburn

It's a good idea to close. Much better for long term snow retention. Don't worry this is not the end...(I hope)

Will there be skiable snow left at Magic after todays warmth, wind and rain??? Magic is on my list of places to hit this season..hopefully they can recover by the time I visit VT in late March..

sledhaulingmedic

Historically, Magic in Late March is hit or miss. If it's on, it's absolutely worth the trip.

I spoke with a very good friend on the patrol yesterday, and the East side was holding up OK. I wouldn't read too much into their being closed today. WIth poor weather and limited skier visits, it's a good decision to save the snow and the electric bill and take a break.

Beetlenut

It would be a last minute trip..maybe combined with another mountain..actually planning a ski trip to Vermont isn't gonna happen for GSS...I'm not driving 5-7 hours for the same conditions we have here in PA

Maybe the same conditions, but way better terrain! I have two tickets to use up at Magic this year, so I'm going one way or the other.