• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where did the snow go??

Love to Ski

Ok so I am feeling a bit of frustraitions here! It has been in the 40's-60's here lately and all the snow is melting away!! :angry:

I am hoping it starts cooling back down and we get a few good blizzards again here soon, :snow: so we can finish up feburary with some good skiing and perhaps even march!

So everybody, start doing your snow dance to the snow gods!!

drjeff

If we stay in the overall big picture weather pattern that we've basically been in for the past year plus, we've been getting these 1-3 week episodes of warmer than usual temps, followed by a 4 to 6 week run of colder than usual temps. The entire time, the Northeast has been normal to above normal in precip. Once we get the pattern shift back in our favor, I'm pretty sure that we'll be in for a GREAT March/April spring season, and in many years, this is also when we get some of our bigger snowstorms too! *fingers crossed* :snow: :)

rsf0000001

As drjeff said, this seems to be the way it has worked for the past couple years. It was 70 degrees here yesterday and I got out on my kayak for a while. It was great!

The snow will be back soon...

Geoff

I still have snow pack. It's not what it was two weeks ago but a foot or two of snow will make everything good again. For central and northern Vermont, Scott Braaten is predicting 4 to 8 from upslope lifting tonight into tomorrow but with drifting from all the wind. I'm hopeful the Killington cloud is productive cuz it's gonna be pretty grim for a few days otherwise.

reefer

Mr. Noyes on NECN put a big bulls-eye on Mt. Snow with 6+ this afternoon into tonight. It's gonna be good somewhere in the Greenies tomorrow and Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Watching intently.......................................

Geoff

Mr. Noyes on NECN put a big bulls-eye on Mt. Snow with 6+ this afternoon into tonight. It's gonna be good somewhere in the Greenies tomorrow and Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Watching intently.......................................

You'll have to know the mountain well to find the drifts.

reefer

You'll have to know the mountain well to find the drifts.

no problem.......reading this one loud and clear! You're spot on there. Was just E-mailing my buddies the same thing - that 4-8 really means 0-12 in many cases! Ovation is always a classic example of this isn't it? Zero on skiers right, two feet on skiers left against the woods? (only pointing out an obvious one)
Little concerned about wind tomorrow.
Intently watching..............

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It dekcus driving to work this am, damn fog was so thick that the fog lights were actually helpful. Now that's not a good sign on Feb. 12th. Let's hope for a better Friday the 13th!

drjeff

Atleast with the temps/humidity, most of what will be falling (probably sideways) should be thick and stick together pretty well with the soon to be refreezing snowpack. Should be *okay* if enough falls in the trees and after a couple of groomer passes, the groomers should be a decent enough surface that will keep the masses happy(and spending their $$) at resorts the next 10 days. A decent snowfall total though in the next 24-36hrs will go a long way towards the marketing departments getting the few time a year folks out of the melted flatlands and up into the mountains. And as much as we all love wide open, uncrowded terrain, we do have to remember that the next 10 days are generally the last real big $$ making period for resorts.

tjf67

Lots of snow gone in the dacks. In LP down to about 6 inches. In Long Lkae still have a foot or two on the ground. Lots of snow up high but a little dissapointing down below.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'm not seeing much in the forecast - 1" for so. vt, maybe 3" for no. VT. As Jeff says, if it's the sticky variety, that will be goodness. The NWS seems to indicate that the dewpoint will be at ambient temp, which means a relatively high humidity, so perhaps. The potential for snow is highest from 5pm today to 5Am tommorrow, then nothing after that, which is a real problem. Back to pond skimming in the flatlands I fear.

Glenn

This weather is just the icing on the cake of the week I've been having.

Nothing like watching the snow melt for an hour an a half while you and your wife wait for the tow truck as one of your cars is puking oil on the side of the road for no reason.

I have some comments about humanity as well. One person stopped, 12+ didn't; on a four lane road during rush hour.

Sorry, I'm in a bit of a foul mood today. And looking at the window at grass isn't helping.

drjeff

Nothing like watching the snow melt for an hour an a half while you and your wife wait for the tow truck as one of your cars is puking oil on the side of the road for no reason.

I have some comments about humanity as well. One person stopped, 12+ didn't; on a four lane road during rush hour.

Sorry, I'm in a bit of a foul mood today. And looking at the window at grass isn't helping.

Sounds like you could use a good, muddy ride on the quad later today there Glenn :)

Do you usually stop on the side of the road when you see a stalled vehicle??? If that happened to me..I'd call a tow truck..a random person can't help much unless they're a mechanic..better get out an try to ski some hero snow afterwork before the snow sets up..

This week I've skied some excellent hero snow..and hopefully the warmth will scare away the Presidents weekend crowds..

sledhaulingmedic

I was at the Crotch yesterday. A glorious spring day, only slightly marred by a school group that had produced a lot of work for the patrol. The conditions was stellar. Unfortunately, the amount of snowpack lost was astronomical. (Not that they don't have plenty left still.)

I'm sure once the temps drop, the guns will be back to work. Still though, the woods took a beating.

BackLoafRiver

Looks like Sugarloaf might see 6+ today. That will help. When I went out for lunch yesterday, it was mid 40's here and cloudless. Absolutely gorgeous and all I could think was being at the mountain. Yesterday would have been prime "flu" day.

bigbog

Welcome to the melt->freeze aspect of NewEngland skiing Love to Ski. It's an bonus winter when we don't get stricken with these swings in temperatures.
Will get over to either the Loaf or SR after mtn crews work them over... Sure would be nice to see some snow following...

STeveD

Last edited:

4aprice

You know maybe your on to something here. Last Sunday night driving home on Route 80 I had a blow out after a wonderful day of skiing. I went to fix it my self but the jack in the car is a piece of you know what. Ended up having to call AAA. It's scary being on the side of that road as 18 wheelers scream by.

That and the 60 degree weather yesterday have made for a bad week. Also have I test tonight that I'm not looking forward to.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ `

Oh yeah I also had to cancel my trip to New Hampshire due to a death in my wifes family.

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Do you usually stop on the side of the road when you see a stalled vehicle??? If that happened to me..I'd call a tow truck..a random person can't help much unless they're a mechanic..

Not true. Stopping is the right thing to do.

I've given folks a ride to get gas
changed a tire for any number of folks, elderly, clueless or whatever in distress
given folks a ride to someplace nearby where they could wait for their spouse, whatever.
Made a phone call for the folks who don't have cell phone (yes, they do exist).
Picked up my wife roadside. The AAA tow truck showed up 2 1/2 hours later...
Not everyone has AAA or can afford a tow truck. My dad used to pull mom's broken down car home with a chain!

I've been stuck roadside for hours waiting for a tow in mass. Waiting in your vehicle is way too dangerous (my folks were rear ended once). Waiting outside in the cold rain or snow at night is worse.

Hey, they can always say no.
"random" is a word my teenagers overuse....