• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mogul Ski..Schmogul Ski?

Philpug

David Babic skis to a second in Dual Moguls at Deer Valley on Faty-Pus's? BushMM, I am sure you know Dave since he skis out of there, your thoughts?

mondeo

David Babic skis to a second in Dual Moguls at Deer Valley on Faty-Pus's? BushMM, I am sure you know Dave since he skis out of there, your thoughts?
Also impressive was Bloom, losing to Babic and taking 6th after taking a couple years off.

I can't remember if it was Blizzard of Ahhs or Steep (while talking about Blizzard of Ahhs) that brought up how Glen Plake was discovered by Schmidt (I think) while skiing a mogul competition on 230 DH boards. 180 beat all of us wearing rental rear-entry boots.

Looking into it more, though, looks like it's another bump ski that just happens to double as a park ski. A little wide (71,) but no fatter at the tip than the Rossis or Harts. It's the Babic pro model.

powhunter

That was last saturday...I was busy as hell at the restaurant....just wishing I was out skiing..then I go out to the bar to take a break and there it is on NBC sports on the big screen ...yea Babic had a great run

steveo

powbmps

Only 6mm wider than the Twister at 104/72/91 vs. 98/66/85. Same turn radius.

Don't you see.....it always comes back to the Twister :lol:.

skidon

YO Mondeo - I think it was Mike Hattrup in "The Blizzard of Aaahs" talkin' about riding up the lift with Plake at a mogul comp, noticing the lo-profile tips on his skis, then seeing on the tails that they were 223's (Atomics, we think). Da rest is his-to-ry...

Anyway, mogul-specific skis are only gonna get more scarce next yaer, so if anybody wants them, they better start lookin

Last edited:

mondeo

YO Mondeo - I think it was Mike Hattrup in "The Blizzard of Aaahs" talkin' about riding up the lift with Plake at a mogul comp, noticing the lo-profile tips on his skis, then seeing on the tails that they were 223's (Atomics, we think). Da rest is his-to-ry...

Anyway, mogul-specific skis are only gonna get more scarce next yaer, so if anybody wants them, they better start lookin
Who's dropping out? There are actually more bump skis out there this year than last, with Dynastar coming back and Elan and Hart getting into it.

mondeo

Word is, Rossi and K2 are bagging it...
Not surprised with Rossi (it wasn't really a bump ski anyways, don't think I've seen a single current year ski yet,) sorta surprised with K2. Cabrawler/Mamba was one of the more popular ones, especially with women. If they had just made a longer one (180ish,) they probably would've sold a lot more to men.

mondeo

Indian, or the arrow?

Now............Where's my popcorn?
Both. A good shot with a curvy arrow is just as bad as a bad shot with a good arrow.

There are probably a few people out there that could ski bumps decently with Pontoons, but the right ski makes it that much easier. Last Wednesday was my first day on non-bump skis since I got back into skiing, and it definately makes a difference. My bump skis are just soo much quicker. I can ski bumps with fat skis, but skinny makes it a lot easier, especially when they're tight.

Trekchick

Both. A good shot with a curvy arrow is just as bad as a bad shot with a good arrow.

There are probably a few people out there that could ski bumps decently with Pontoons, but the right ski makes it that much easier. Last Wednesday was my first day on non-bump skis since I got back into skiing, and it definately makes a difference. My bump skis are just soo much quicker. I can ski bumps with fat skis, but skinny makes it a lot easier, especially when they're tight.
I will say this....
I'm not a great bumper, but I have a passion to be better and have made huge improvements in the past year.

One of my fav big mountain skis is my Bro(thats a big Duh)
But, when I ski out west where the mogul runs are amazing, I struggle with the moguls because the tail is big and stiff on the Bro.
When I get into the moguls with the F17 or the Twisted Twin, I maneuver my way through the moguls MUCH better.

A few things have really made a difference for me and my technique.....
finding the sweet spot in the ski
being aware of my feet
finding my balance

I'm not a good bumper, but I'm going to be some day. THAT is my goal!

powbmps

At least they're still making a bump ski (even if it looks like a powder ski ;-)). 105/65/88 for the '10 vs. 89/63/78 for the '09. No turn radius listed for the '10. I would assume the greater curve gives a shorter turn radius for the new model?

Another one bites the dust...
http://www.ski-depot.com/miva/merch...9690&Category_Code=volkl2010&Product_Count=32

I might have to pick up a pair of Rebellions while I still can.

I'll bet its coming out of the same mold as their Jr GS race ski...same dimensions and lengths.

There's really not much money to be made in bump skis...the top bumpers get multiple pairs for free, all the other athletes get them on a comp form, almost all you mogul freaks only buy them online when they're 50% off...I'd be surprised if more than 10% of bump skis are sold through a retailer at a normal price. If the retailers aren't going to buy them in pre-season, most manufacurers can't afford to make them.