• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Member Introductions Thread

AMAC2233

I guess it's about time I got around to this. I found this site about 3 months ago, and finally joined up in April. I was a little confused at first (please ignore my first post.)

Anyways, I'm 13 and I love to ski. I also enjoy hockey, lacrosse, golf, and running.

I started skiing 4 years ago by force and hated it at first. The next year I decided to give it a better chance and now love the sport. I mostly ski at Loon, since the family has a house there, but sometimes I get over to the mighty blue hill about 15 minutes from my house.

I found this site interesting, so I'm going to give it a try.

Last edited:

augidog

ok, so i can't ski...never had much balance, anyway.

but...i used to tear up Forest Park in Springfield, Ma on an Adirondack toboggan in my teens...does that count?

i'm a "retired" veteran living in suburban Boston, living a poor-man's leisure, getting by. single, but looking. beantown's a good place to be in my situation.

i know a bit about the wild, love packing, long hikes that end wherever, can pitch a tent in any weather (getcher mind outta tha gutter), catch & release is fine, catch & cook when i'm hungry. spent 5 years hitching the country in the late '70s/early '80s, & i really do know what "the dunes on the cape" means.

i've been back in New England since the 2004 hurricanes chased me outta West Palm Beach. so i'm thinking, finding you folks during a whimsical google might be a good thing.

i'm gonna stick around & see what occurs.

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
I've been a member since December (hey, that rhymes!) and never got around to posting on this thread. So here're the details....

Grew up on the Jersey Shore. (Yes, Bruce Springsteen's dad was my bus driver in elementary school. Really. And his current sax player had the locker next to mine in high school. A really nice guy.)

Started skiing in 1968.

Graduated from Syracuse University in 1976, got married, and moved to PA.

Worked in advertising in the Philadelphia area.

Stopped skiing in 1979, and didn't start again til around 1993. (Hey, stuff happens.) Now I'm making up for lost time.

Got a house in Vermont about 3 years ago, where we've been staying (and skiing) half the week during the winter.

Just put my house in PA on the market, and am now preparing to move to VT full time.

And that covers it. Love this site. So glad I found it -- it's great to communicate with other skiers in the Northeast!

Last edited:

BeanoNYC

andyzee said:
Me and my wife both are, and we started out at Windham as well.

If you guys ever decide to spend a night in West Dover if you ski at Mount Snow be sure to stay at the matterhorn inn. Joe and Wanda, who own and run the joint are polish and the food and hospitality there show it!

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
BeanoNYC said:
If you guys ever decide to spend a night in West Dover if you ski at Mount Snow be sure to stay at the matterhorn inn. Joe and Wanda, who own and run the joint are polish and the food and hospitality there show it!

Not crazy bout Mount Snow, but if we do go, it's good to know, thanks for the tip.

Jonni

I know that I've posted here for a little while and I finally decided that it was time to post in this thread. My name is Jon and I'm from Sunapee, NH (the town, not the mountain). I work at Mt. Sunapee as a lift foreman. My regular positions up there were top of the Sun Bowl on Saturdays as well as running the Express some days or running the Duckling. I know Mt. Sunapee inside-out, upside-down and backwards. I'm also a full time student at Lyndon State College in Lyndonville, VT, and frequent Burke Mountain between classes. I'm an active member of Snowjournal.com and I'm the Northeast Regional Moderator for Skilifts.org. I'm also the web designer and developer for NELSAP.org.

I do the usual thing that just about everyone else here does: Ski in winter and hike in summer. I haven't skied all that many places, but I have skied at Mt. Sunapee more times than I can probably count. Most of my hiking experiences are at Ski areas because I'm a bit of an abstract lift photographer. I enjoy anything and everything that has to do with skiing or ski lifts. So basically I'm a lift nut who enjoys skiing and lifts so much that I have turned it into my passion.

Keep ski tips up,
Jon

zook

BeanoNYC said:

Thanks for the tip, Beano. I was thinking of visiting Mount Snow next season, so it might come in handy.

I've actually stayed at another Polish inn in Manchester Center this February. I think it's called Toll Road Motor Inn and is located on Route 30 about a mile east from the Rt. 7. Nice place. I stayed there with a group of ~30 other Polish skiers taking a carving course. Cool stuff. We're probably gonna go to Utah again in January - carving & freeride.

And now I got myself thinking about winter again... Damn!

JustinHEMI05

Website
jecrocker.phanfare.com
Hello!

My name is Justin and I live in Upstate Ny. I am from Latrobe PA originally but for the last 8 years have been moving about the NE as a member of the US Navy. As of this writing however, I have only 372 days left! Can't wait. Lets see, I love the outdoors, especially backpacking. One of my very first memories is going into the woods with my dad. I am also a fan of caving and climbing. I enjoy fast cars too. Well thats about it for now! I am looking for people to go backpacking with, particuarly in the Adirondacks. This weekend I am doing the long lake-lake placid portion of the northville placid trail, if anyone wants to tag along.

Justin

Last edited:

edgeworker

My name is Dean Macgeorge. I`m 48 and I live in Poughkeepsie.
I`m into hiking and camping. I`m a member of the Catskill 3500 club - #1174/ #456winter
4000fter of NH & Adk46er. I`ve been trail stewart for a section of the Devil`s Path on Westkill Mtn. in the catskills for the past 10 yrs. But my main love is telemark skiing. Mainly at Belleayre, Hunter, Mad River Glen & Mt.Washington. I`m addicted.

JimG.

Staff member
edgeworker said:
My name is Dean Macgeorge. I`m 48 and I live in Poughkeepsie.
I`m into hiking and camping. I`m a member of the Catskill 3500 club - #1174/ #456winter
4000fter of NH & Adk46er. I`ve been trail stewart for a section of the Devil`s Path on Westkill Mtn. in the catskills for the past 10 yrs. But my main love is telemark skiing. Mainly at Belleayre, Hunter, Mad River Glen & Mt.Washington. I`m addicted.

Welcome Dean...you're a neighbor; I live in Hopewell Junction.

We are Hunter regulars...I've been a passholder for the last 20 years.

We ought to hook up for some turns next season or maybe even some hiiking this summer.

edgeworker

Thanks Jim. I have an automotive repair business on the south end of All Angels Hill Rd near Rt 82. Stop in and say hello.

JimG.

Staff member
edgeworker said:
Thanks Jim. I have an automotive repair business on the south end of All Angels Hill Rd near Rt 82. Stop in and say hello.

I know the area well, I will.

fisterfam

Well, my name is Mike I am a soldier from Ft. Hood, Texas. I joined the forum to help bring outdoor traffic to my website. See my post in Misc. I have never been skiing before wouldn't mind learning myself but more or less joined because I have a few hardcore skiers that are also soldiers. Figured there might be a few people or businesses that might want to put together an annual or one time skiing trip (all expense paid) for a soldier or group of soldiers coming home for R&R or home from Iraq. I love the outdoors and just being who I am.

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
fisterfam said:
Figured there might be a few people or businesses that might want to put together an annual or one time skiing trip (all expense paid) for a soldier or group of soldiers coming home for R&R or home from Iraq.

Welcome to the board. There are programs in place for active duty military at most mountains. Some let you ski for free for at least part of the season. Stewart Airbase here is only an hour from the Catskill ski areas and there are MAC flights available for free to active duty military. You would need to check what other bases they fly to.

I would be willing to help out with Belleayre Mountain trips next season.

fisterfam

Yardsaledad....

That would be great!! Just what I am looking for. So that we are not clogging up this new members topic would you please post this in my other topic Take a Soldier Fishing in Misc?? Then people could collaberate there and figure out what they would like to do. When ever a trip or something is given away or a business contributes then I will put a link to that business or forum in which it was donated. We are still in the baby phase but I see people jumping on the bandwagon for this site and it will be great for the soldiers and general public alike. Thanks Mike

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
fisterfam said:
So that we are not clogging up this new members topic would you please post this in my other topic Take a Soldier Fishing in Misc??

I think the trips and events forum might be more appropriate with a more accurate title for a ski trip, but I will let Greg(the site owner) jump in with his take on it.