• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Member Introductions Thread

Morewood

Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself...I've been lurking for a week or so and finally took the plunge and registered. Looks like a good group of guys and gals on the boards.

I've been skiing since I was three and I'm now 34...used to manage a ski market back in the day and grew up on the slopes of Mohawk, Big Birch (thunder ridge now) and Okemo. Currently own a condo a Okemo which my wife and I rent out for the season as we went for the little one (19 month old son) to get a little older. Hopefully next season I'll get him on the slopes at thunder ridge...just 10 minutes from my house.(seasom pass for $199 can't beat that for some after work turns) I plan on hitting Okemo for a week...in the rental agreement that we have for the 7th-12th of Feb...going to hit Mad River if the conditons are ok and then out for 4 days at Snowbird and Alta... Would like to hit Hunta' a few times on Mondays or Tuesdays...so maybe I'll see you on the slopes...I'll be decked out in Rossi gear...still one of the perks from being an inside rep back in the day.

Cheers and here's to a cold and snowy season

SIKSKIER

Welcome SIKSKIER! Where are you from? Where do you normally ski?

Sorry about being slow on the keyboard Greg.I am a 30+ year passholder at Cannon Mt.I would be your typical Cannon high speed criuser but I do make trips every year to BC for deep snowcat pow skiing.I like it all!!Thanks for the welcome.

millerm277

Just saw this thread, so I figured I'd introduce myself as well...

I live in Central NJ, I'm 14, and I've been skiing for 10 years or so.

I usually ski:
Blue Mt in PA (good snow and vert, night skiing, and it's only 45mins), Hunter and Killington. Sometimes Montage/Sno Mountain as well, because a friend of mine has been involved there for a long time so I get free tickets and some other perks.

bvibert

Staff member
Welcome to the forums millerm277. At 14 you're definitely one of our youngest members! It's nice to have some young folks to offset all the old fogeys in here... ;)

aveski2000

Hi everyone,

I’m at my computer wearing my new ski boots (Salomon X-Wave 8 ) in preparation to get out skiing for the first time in over ten years. I plan to get out next Sunday. A friend is letting me use a pair of Volkl P50’s. I’m getting psyched, although a little apprehensive. I am a 52-year-old male who lives in Portland ME and mountain bikes year round, so I’m in fairly good shape, although I have a feeling I’ll be using a somewhat different muscle group. I used to ski everything at the Loaf and Sunday River, so hopefully it will come back quickly. I also picked up a good deal, on Craiglist, for a Ski Maine Passbook, so I’ll be out quite a bit. I’ll probably ski with my mountain biking buddies. Hope to meet and ski with some of you. I might know some of you from mountain biking.

Avram

bvibert

Staff member
Welcome to the forums aveski2000! I'm sure you'll pick it up again quick. Feel free to ask any questions that you might have. We have quite a few ME regulars, check out the Trips and Events Forum to see if anyone else is going to be skiing when you are.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Hi everyone,

I’m at my computer wearing my new ski boots (Salomon X-Wave 8 ) in preparation to get out skiing for the first time in over ten years. I plan to get out next Sunday. A friend is letting me use a pair of Volkl P50’s. I’m getting psyched, although a little apprehensive. I am a 52-year-old male who lives in Portland ME and mountain bikes year round, so I’m in fairly good shape, although I have a feeling I’ll be using a somewhat different muscle group. I used to ski everything at the Loaf and Sunday River, so hopefully it will come back quickly. I also picked up a good deal, on Craiglist, for a Ski Maine Passbook, so I’ll be out quite a bit. I’ll probably ski with my mountain biking buddies. Hope to meet and ski with some of you. I might know some of you from mountain biking.

Avram

I hope you have the bindings on those Volkl's professionally adjusted to your boots. It would suck if you injured yourself the first time out. Welcome.:-D

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I hope you have the bindings on those Volkl's professionally adjusted to your boots. It would suck if you injured yourself the first time out. Welcome.:-D

I've had some experience with "professionals" which causes me to trust myself to get everything correct long before I would trust one of these "professional."

ta&idaho

Greetings from a potential eastern skier

Unlike most of you, I've never really skied in the east (one night at some mid atlantic resort near DC doesn't really count). I grew up in Idaho and now live in San Francisco (ski in Tahoe, for the most part). Next year I might end up having to move to New York City for a few years, so I'm spending a little time acquainting myself with how the other half of snow country lives. Any input/advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated, particularly from people with experience living in Manhattan and somehow figuring out the logistics to make it to the mountains on a semi-regular basis.

Thanks!

JimG.

Staff member
Unlike most of you, I've never really skied in the east (one night at some mid atlantic resort near DC doesn't really count). I grew up in Idaho and now live in San Francisco (ski in Tahoe, for the most part). Next year I might end up having to move to New York City for a few years, so I'm spending a little time acquainting myself with how the other half of snow country lives. Any input/advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated, particularly from people with experience living in Manhattan and somehow figuring out the logistics to make it to the mountains on a semi-regular basis.

Thanks!

Bring alot of snow with you; package it, put it
in your suitcases and carry on luggage!

And welcome aboard.

SkiDork

Thanks!

I think you have to own a car if you want to go up semi-regularly

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com

Thanks!

FYI, I live about 5 miles outside of NYC and make it to the slopes just about every weekend from as early as late October until May. There's others here that do the same. For me, majority of the trips are to VT on weekends which is about a 250 mile ride.