• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Member Introductions Thread

molecan

Introduction...........

Hola, I'm Coleman, 31, from Boston, confirmed ski nut, etc.

I grew up skiing most winter weekends in the Whites,
Attitash/Black/Cranmore/Wildcat/SR (starting around 4 or so)and after a 10 year or so hiatus picked the habit up again a few years ago.

I work at an unnamed college in cambridge, MA as an academic dept's System Administrator. Spend way too much time in front of far too many computers.

Anyone who is up in the N.Conway/Bartlett/Jackson/Gorham/Bethel area this winter and wants to get together and ski,let me know.
I'm typically up every weekend with the wife and a few friends.

If any AZ listers have spent any apres-ski time at Moat Mountain brewery's bar in Intervale/N.Conway, or the bar at the Shannon Door in Jackson, we may have already met.

The slopes may be closed, but at least the bar is open.

-Coleman

Snowflake

Website
www.snowclub.gr
Hi i'am Iris from Greece just found your forum and i find it very interesting.
Age 30, i'm a snow_o_"holic", i ski mostly in the greek mountains but i go "out" at least once a year...

JimG.

Staff member
Welcome aboard Snowflake! I don't know much about skiing in Greece; what's it like?

Snowflake

Website
www.snowclub.gr
Well we have 21 ski centers but not yet resorts. The most "wanted" are Mt.Parnasos midle greece, Kalavrita at Helmos south ,and Vassilitsa,3-5 Pigadia up north.
We don't have the facilities that the rest of europe has but we are working it out. You can take a good look at www.snowreport.gr the english version. We have web cams all around. I thing that you would like it very much.
I don't know much about skiing in England either. Do you have a site that i can see your resorts?
Here in Greece we hear mostly about the resorts in France,Italy,Swizerland and Austria because there are closer.

I.

Greg

Staff member
Snowflake said:
I don't know much about skiing in England either. Do you have a site that i can see your resorts?
This site is about skiing in New England (in the Northeast United States) not England, as in Great Britain.

atomic68

Marc said:
Also, I will take tips in the bumps from anyone who's willing to offer them...

So far the hardest part for me has been finding trails and conditions suitable for learning.

(read: most of the time ;))

I think its easier to learn bumps on a steeper trail (to a point) because you can actually see the next bump and select a line easier...I learned on White Heat by accident.....back in about 93 I was already a fairly accomplished skier tired of skiing the groomed side of white heat when i started hitting the bumps and really started getting the feel of it

JimG.

Staff member
Snowflake said:
Well we have 21 ski centers but not yet resorts. The most "wanted" are Mt.Parnasos midle greece, Kalavrita at Helmos south ,and Vassilitsa,3-5 Pigadia up north.
We don't have the facilities that the rest of europe has but we are working it out. You can take a good look at www.snowreport.gr the english version. We have web cams all around. I thing that you would like it very much.
Here in Greece we hear mostly about the resorts in France,Italy,Swizerland and Austria because there are closer.

I.

Thanks for the link...I didn't know that Greece had any ski areas leave alone that many.

Oh, this isn't England as in Great Britain, this is New England as in America. If you search this site you'll find just about anything you might want to know about Eastern US ski areas.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
atomic68 said:
Marc said:
Also, I will take tips in the bumps from anyone who's willing to offer them...

So far the hardest part for me has been finding trails and conditions suitable for learning.

(read: most of the time ;))

I think its easier to learn bumps on a steeper trail (to a point) because you can actually see the next bump and select a line easier...I learned on White Heat by accident.....back in about 93 I was already a fairly accomplished skier tired of skiing the groomed side of white heat when i started hitting the bumps and really started getting the feel of it

I'll keep that in mind. I really just need a lot of practice time on the slopes.

Damn, oh well, I gots to do what I gots to do. Ashame I'll have to spend so much time out there... [/ridiculous sarcasm]

And welcome snowflake. All I think of when I saw your name was Ace Ventura, Pet Detective...

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
Hi,

My name's Matt, I'm 25.

In the winter I ski Tele and Alpine and in the summer I'm a geologist. I went to school at Colby College in Maine, and I was a Sugarloafer for 4 years. I live outside of Albany now, so I ski Gore Mountain, mostly, with an occasional trip to Whiteface - and take a trip out west every chance I get (Tahoe this year).

WWF-VT

I grew up in Connecticut and now live just outside of Boston. I started skiing 15 years ago and regularly have done day trips / weekends or vacation weeks in New England. Long list of places I have skied include Jiminy Peak, Wachusett, Pico, Killington, Okemo, Stratton, Gunstock, Waterville Valley, Loon, Cannon, Sunapee, Shawnee Peak and Sunday River. Lots of time at Stowe and Sugarbush.

One trip west was for 3 sunny days at Whistler/Blackcomb

This season the family is set with season passes at Sugarbush.

WWF = three of the nicest towns I know - Warren, Waitsfield and Fayston, Vermont

Tyrolean_skier

noski said:
bvibert said:
noski said:
smitty77 said:
I don't ski though. (Ducking the masses of tomatoes hurled in my general direction)
Smitty

oh, thank God I have found you. I've got your back. They don't call me noski for nothin' you know...

It must suck to live in the MRV and be a boarder, doesn't the MRG ban really piss you off??
You big lunk. I do not ski. nor board. The tomatoes heading my way will be significantly larger than smittys. But we had this conversation once in the "how did you select your username" thread. I know from there that it is ok I am here. One can be a very, very good friend of skiing (a couple of you can vouch for me) and not actually have to DO it. I tried it. SB & MRG. It wasn't for me.

Skiing is not for everybody. Now I would probably get very grumpy if I did not get my fill of skiing in during the year. The only time I did not mind not skiing was when I was pregnant. However, I did miss the best ski season in recent history (1996-1997) when I was pregnant with my son. I am surprised, however, that you still want to participate in a ski/snowboard forum. I don't visit this site often enough to know how much you contribute.

bill9009

Hey everyone, well I stumbled on this forum the other day, Glad I did.

My name's Bill in case you couldn't tell. I am 25. I just moved back to NY from Virginia Beach. I grew up on Long Island and learned how to ski at Whiteface and Gore when I was 4. I actually still have my first lift ticket from whiteface.

I joined the navy 7 years ago and that kinda put a damper on skiing. But I got back into it last year. I just got transfered to Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory in Ballston Spa, NY, so I plan on hittin Gore alot this year. Just picked up my pass 2 days ago. I also took up snowboarding last year, quite different after skiing for so many years. We'll see how that goes on a real mountain this year. No offense to any one who skis Wintergreen, Thats where I learned last year.

Well thats about it, oh yeah I will probably be looking for people to ski Gore and WF with.

bvibert

Staff member
Welcome bill, glad you found us! :) We seem to be getting alot of people from NY joining lately, so I'm sure you'll find someone to make some turns with.

Ski_Lovers8384

Newbies Here!

Hello all. I recently found this website while looking up some snowboarding information on the web and thought I would join the forum.

There will be 2 of us using this account, "L" a 22 y/o female, skiing for 7 years; and "K" a 21 y/o male skiing for about 17 years.

Both K and I purchased snowboards and are determind to learn, although neither of us has ever tried it before.

I hope to gain and offer some useful information from this site. :beer:

~ L ~

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
bill9009 said:
Hey everyone, well I stumbled on this forum the other day, Glad I did.

My name's Bill in case you couldn't tell. I am 25. I just moved back to NY from Virginia Beach. I grew up on Long Island and learned how to ski at Whiteface and Gore when I was 4. I actually still have my first lift ticket from whiteface.

I joined the navy 7 years ago and that kinda put a damper on skiing. But I got back into it last year. I just got transfered to Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory in Ballston Spa, NY, so I plan on hittin Gore alot this year. Just picked up my pass 2 days ago. I also took up snowboarding last year, quite different after skiing for so many years. We'll see how that goes on a real mountain this year. No offense to any one who skis Wintergreen, Thats where I learned last year.

Well thats about it, oh yeah I will probably be looking for people to ski Gore and WF with.

And bonus skiing with you as you can probably do night skiing anywhere anytime with the whole glow in the dark atomic thing yeah?