New Member Introductions Thread - Page 60

AlpineZone

Page 60 of 163 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast

Hi all!

Have been following for a while, decided to join. I am newer to skiing than most of you, if not all. I started skiing a couple of years ago. The moment I put skiis under my feet, I knew this was for me. So, although I am new, I share your passion for skiing. I try to ski as much as possible. I live in NY, so weekend skiing is mostly on Catskills. Longer skiing done mostly in Vermont. Looking forward to contributing to the great NE forum you guys have here.

Welcome lerops. I can think of a few folks here that only have a few years of skiing under their belt, so don't be afraid to post. You've got the passion for skiing, which is all the matters.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by lerops View Post
    Hi all!

Have been following for a while, decided to join. I am newer to skiing than most of you, if not all. I started skiing a couple of years ago. The moment I put skiis under my feet, I knew this was for me. So, although I am new, I share your passion for skiing. I try to ski as much as possible. I live in NY, so weekend skiing is mostly on Catskills. Longer skiing done mostly in Vermont. Looking forward to contributing to the great NE forum you guys have here.
    Welcome to the forum! There's more diversity here than you think, it's just that newer skiers tend to post a lot less than those who've been at it for a while.
    If you're a fan of the Manchester United Football Team, sing the Manchester United song-!

howdy! I'm looking for this.
    Anyway, of course I'm new in here, that's why I need to introduce myself.
    New to the forum and to the sport. An amateur but I want to be hustler with this.
    Really gives me the adrenaline.
    See you around guys, need some tutorials and a ski buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by extreme_me View Post
    howdy! I'm looking for this.
    Anyway, of course I'm new in here, that's why I need to introduce myself.
    New to the forum and to the sport. An amateur but I want to be hustler with this.
    Really gives me the adrenaline.
    See you around guys, need some tutorials and a ski buddy.
    Welcome extreme_me. Where are you from, where do you ski?
    Brian

And who do you plan on hustling?
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    And who do you plan on hustling?

Minnesota Fats, probably...
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Guess I'll introduce myself here even though I posted a few times last week. I've lingered on this forum for a while (probably close to 2 years), finally took the plunge to join.

I graduated college in May 07, during my time in college completely fell in love with skiing and snowboarding. I skied a litte bit when I was young and then got into snowboarding in middle school, was never really that good. Most of high school was too busy with sports to spend enough time to get into the sport, but would ride occasionally. Sophmore year in college, bought a bunch of snowboard gear and fell in love. Bought the ASC College Pass Junior and Senior year, also worked selling passes for them. Was a great time, would ski 30-40 days a year, a lot of time at Mt. Snow & killington midweek, with some trips to Sunday River. Decided halfway through last season to also start skiing, and picked up some public enemies, love doing both skiing and riding.

In the 'real world' now, still getting up on weekends when I can, no season pass, decided to hit some places I've never been. REALLY enjoyed Stowe and Sugarbush (last weekend was a lot of fun). I have a few friends that are getting more into skiing/boarding. Hoping to rent a house next year in the MRV or Stowe area. Maybe see some of you ont he slopes. I'm headed up to Stowe for a long weekend in a few weeks (22nd) then hitting the 'bush on that Monday afterwards.
    Last edited by urban07sti; Feb 8, 2008 at 3:17 PM.

Welcome urban07sti, thanks for the intro!
    Brian

Cool As usual, I went about this backwards...

Hi! I just joined and realized I should introduce myself (after already having been compelled to join and post to threads elsewhere).

I seem to have gone about everything the wrong way.

When I was stationed in Denver many moons ago I just went skiing one weekend at Breckenridge. I'd done cross country skiing a couple of times in gym class when there was too much snow to do anything else, and I'd roller skated and ice skated since I was a little kid. Oh yeah, I was born and raised in Central Mass, and I come from a line of Finns (with all that running and cross-country skiing in my background).

I remember my first run - the lift ride was scary and I was worrying I'd fall before I got on the chair. I fell right after I got off the little slope from where the chair unloaded and had a hell of a time getting back up. My friend showed me snowplow and then I was off - scared to death I was going to fall. I remember not falling and thinking how much it felt like skating with extra sticking out the ends.

I went maybe eight times over my years in Colorado and New Mexico and then didn't go for many years (I lived in Oklahoma at the government's behest for far too long). When I moved back "home" I thought about going but didn't. This year, I got it in my head I'd start skiing again. I almost tried snowboarding, but my aging body rebelled against the thought of falling down a lot (I never even had to fall down a lot when I learned to ski, I've been spoiled). I bought a season pass during the fall for Wachusett and resolved to go as many times as I needed to have the pass "pay for itself." I rented skis the first time, then ordered a pair of snow boards (little skis, some people call them snow blades, but that's like calling inline skates "rollerblades").

I suppose my point is when I got my Head Shape skis, I was barely able to handle the blue runs at Wa (I wasn't great, but I didn't fall down). I'm not a huge sports person, but I seem to have some skills that transferred (growing up in the time of roller skating in the 80's and all those hours at the rink). But the short, fat skis are everything they say - I went down a black diamond run on my second afternoon with my boards, and now I'm there as often as I can get away. My season pass (a bronze pass) is well past paying for itself at this point, and I'm considering what kind of trips I can get up to up north and maybe back to Colorado next year.

I've finally gotten the hang of turning around backward at will (rather than as a last resort *chuckle*) and I'm starting to question my sanity since the half-pipe's looking like fun.

I'm not one of those people who barrels down a run and then has a yard sale (although I dodged a few last night). I also don't nail unsuspecting people on my way downhill (also happened once last night, I wanted to take that snowboard and nail him with it). I try to be polite to other people and not be a danger to myself or others. I'd also like to do that whole going down the mountain with a reasonable amount of style and grace.

(just for the record, since it's not obvious - I'm female, my name's Anne. Nice to meet you.

Thread Information