• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Member Introductions Thread

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'm 24 and have been skiing my whole life on used hand-me-downs. In the past, being a broke college kid living in RI, that was about all I could afford (or scroung up from x-skiing family members for free). I'm a strong skiier when comparing myself to the east coast crowd but have NEVER skiied out west. I've yet to find an east coast trail that throws me back on my heels saying oh S*** what did I get myself into! (which is how I stumbled onto this site, googling 'hardest ski trails on the east coast').

With a shoulder injury recently inturupting my intense volleyball life, I'm back to skiing.

In the past I had been skiing on a pair of 10 yr old Rosignols (shaped skis, probably a 2nd or 3rd gen). They were damn heavy, had a large turning radius and really just didn't suit my style of skiing.

So I've slurged and bought a new pair of 2012 Atomic Blackeye's @ 174cm.

I've got three trips planned for 1, 2 and 3 days of skiing starting 12/23 at, in order, waterville, killington, and jay peak.

Because I live in RI, I'll be buying a Bronze level season pass to Wachusett so I can shoot up there after work and get some night skiing in.

So cheers to getting back into skiing.

My favorite conditions/trail types include steeps with volkswagon size bumps and glades. I used to be a park rat in my early college years, but avoid it (but don't regret it) now. Skiing the park made me very comfortable in the air, making those volkswagon size bumps lots of fun!

Heya Aaron, welcome to the boards. You sound a lot like me in some ways.... i'll be at wachusett with you and I'm looking at similar skis (was checking out Atomic Crimson Ti's and Atomic Theorys).

Also you are coming from 10 year old skis, like my old Atomic beta ride 9.22's.

Anyway, keep up here, lots of great people to connect with and ski with. Let us know when you head out to Wachusett, I"ll be there nights this winter fairly regularly.

aaronbru

Nick, thanks for the welcoming.
I skiied Wachusett last night from 4-7. It was a little repetitive and crowded with just ralphs and challenger open. Didn't see much in the line of ice, though there were some bare spots if you tend to ride the edges of the trail where the fun stuff is.

See you on the mountain.

pretzelman

I just wanted to introduce myself and not actually reply to a thread but couldn't figure that out but here goes.
I'm very happy that I found this site. My name is Steve, I'm 61 and live in Nashua NH.
Up until this year I have skiied once in 17 years, due a bunch of different situations.
I decided this was the year to get back. I've skiied at Killington 4 times this year. I learned there and so I have an affinity with it.
I had no idea how my physical body would react so I rented skis for the year rather than
purchase anything, except for my thighs I have been very pleased. I'm not going to go
on and bore you just want to add that I hope to be logged on regularly!!!!!!!
Steve

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Welcome Pretzelman! (Steve!) Look forward to having you hear.

What kind of skiing are you doing right now, what level are you? Must be excited to be back into it after such a long hiatus!

Glad to have you!

pretzelman

Nick I would call myself Intermediate/advanced intermediate. At this stage I am mostly a controlled skier until I build my stamina and confidence up. I skied everything that was opened at Killington last week but that had only a few Black trails opened and I had to pick my
way down the moguls. For now I won't be doing much of them. I guess we'll what comes but it certainly is my passion and there are many ways to enjoy it!
Steve

exoticskis

Website
www.ExoticSkis.com
Howdy AlpineZone inhabitants....

I am a long-time lurker...finally got around to signing up.
I am 52, live in central VT and am happy to try and hook up to ski midweek with folks in Vermont if they can make it. I am the founder and chief test-addict at ExoticSkis.com. Skiing for about 50 years now (yikes). Married, with two kids and a plott hound. Enduro dirtbiking is my summer addiction. Just returned from several years living in France full-time.

Cheers

- Eric

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

I am 52, live in central VT and am happy to try and hook up to ski midweek with folks in Vermont if they can make it. I am the founder and chief test-addict at ExoticSkis.com. Skiing for about 50 years now (yikes). Married, with two kids and a plott hound. Enduro dirtbiking is my summer addiction. Just returned from several years living in France full-time.

Cheers

- Eric

Vilkommen ES! :flag:

Thanks for de-lurking!

I do know some 50+'s who ski midweek. There are some down at Magic. We also do some gatherings at Sugarbush, MRG, $teaux. We'll also be hitting JP and Smuggs. Mostly on Fridays. PM me for more info.

What is a "plott hound" anyways? New kind of ski? :spin:

Now, try to keep us in line, will you?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I just wanted to introduce myself and not actually reply to a thread but couldn't figure that out but here goes.
I'm very happy that I found this site. My name is Steve, I'm 61 and live in Nashua NH.
Up until this year I have skiied once in 17 years, due a bunch of different situations.
I decided this was the year to get back. I've skiied at Killington 4 times this year. I learned there and so I have an affinity with it.
I had no idea how my physical body would react so I rented skis for the year rather than
purchase anything, except for my thighs I have been very pleased. I'm not going to go
on and bore you just want to add that I hope to be logged on regularly!!!!!!!
Steve

Welcome Pretz!
Hey, I've been skiing for a zillion years, but look like I haven't skied in 17! :sadwalk:
Cripes, I bore most of this group most of the time, so no worries. Talking about anything vaguely related to skiing is OK in my book. Sure beats talking about some dictator, or how much rain we're gonna get.

Jump right in!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Wilkomenn!

I'm 24 and have been skiing my whole life on used hand-me-downs. In the past, being a broke college kid living in RI, that was about all I could afford (or scroung up from x-skiing family members for free). I'm a strong skiier when comparing myself to the east coast crowd but have NEVER skiied out west. I've yet to find an east coast trail that throws me back on my heels saying oh S*** what did I get myself into! (which is how I stumbled onto this site, googling 'hardest ski trails on the east coast').

With a shoulder injury recently inturupting my intense volleyball life, I'm back to skiing.

In the past I had been skiing on a pair of 10 yr old Rosignols (shaped skis, probably a 2nd or 3rd gen). They were damn heavy, had a large turning radius and really just didn't suit my style of skiing.

So I've slurged and bought a new pair of 2012 Atomic Blackeye's @ 174cm.

I've got three trips planned for 1, 2 and 3 days of skiing starting 12/23 at, in order, waterville, killington, and jay peak.

Because I live in RI, I'll be buying a Bronze level season pass to Wachusett so I can shoot up there after work and get some night skiing in.

So cheers to getting back into skiing.

My favorite conditions/trail types include steeps with volkswagon size bumps and glades. I used to be a park rat in my early college years, but avoid it (but don't regret it) now. Skiing the park made me very comfortable in the air, making those volkswagon size bumps lots of fun!

Welcome aboard A-man! Admittedly, you and I have divergent interests, but in this sport, no two people are alike. Having another snow-loving, slider is always a good thing. Good luck this winter, and have a blast. Remember, if you get to the bottom and still have a smile on your face, that's what it's all about!

bart

Hey everyone-
Just wanted to say "hi" and wish you all a happy New Year. Really enjoy the site and look forward to contributing...

Rob

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

Cheers

- Eric

Heya Exoticskis! Welcome to the forums! Did you get to skiing a lot in France?

Cool site, I didn't realize there were 290+ alternatives.

So, what are you skiing on nowadays?

dreamintoaction

Hey ---

Love the site. Been lurking a bit. Its nice to see NYC finally getting colder temps. Of course, I wont be surprised if I wake up tomorrow to find its 60!

Happy New Years!

mriceyman

Finally signed up after being a lurker for awhile. Im 26 and absolutely love to ski. Now lets hope for cold and snow. Its good to be here