• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Member Introductions Thread

BeanoNYC

Re: Thanks for the Welcome

YardSaleDad said:
BeanoNYC said:
Great Handle! Is cold spring the same as cold spring harbor on the Island?

Thanks! Cold Spring is in Putnam county, 50 miles north of NYC on the Hudson river, across from West Point.

Ahhh not too far. I was up at West Point for the Iowa State game this year. Stunning campus. Welcome to Alpinezone, we're a bunch of likeable jerks.

Bosefius

awf170 said:
BeanoNYC said:
Welcome Boseflus. I wonder who it was you met? I think AWF was there. I've tried promoting this site to nice people i've met on lifts but haven't seen anyone yet. (Maybe it's me ;) ) Anyway we have a great group of people here , a really cool vibe. Feel free to jump right in I haven't seen a flame in a very long time.

nope I wasnt there, it was probably ga2ski

No, I think it was TreeSkier? Or someone close to that name. I guess I talked to ga2ski in the parking lot though.

NYDrew

Whats up everyone ,
My name is Drew, I'm a 5th year college student at Binghamton University, NY. I also teach skiing at Labrador mountain with my PSIA L1 certification. I'm probably ready for L2, but I'm to broke for the exam.
As far as everything goes, my life is skiing. I have given up persuing a degree in veterinary medicine so I could ski more, I am moving to vermont so I can ski more. I am going to germany for two years on an instructor excahnge program after college so I can ski more. My DNR that is in my wallet orders to not recussitate if injuries will prevent me from skiing. Get the hint. I think the "problem" stems from the fact that when I grew up on long island, people said I would never be a great skiier because of where I'm from, well now I am and everyone can kiss my ...

Anyway, I found this site just cause i was looking for ski stuff online, i like it.

Norway

Website
www.skinorway.no
Since I already posted a thread on this forum, I guess it would be polite to introduce myself.

I'm a 32 year old Nowegian dude (Orjan is the name) who plan to take up some skiing again. Since I bought my five year old doughter a pair last year, it's a perfect excuse to trade my 14 year old K2's into a pair of modern skis.

I work offshore for PGS as an onboard geophysicist. That means I work 5 weeks on, and then have 5 weeks off. It doesn't mean I can play around for those 5 weeks off though since I have two kids (2 1/2 and 5) and a wife at home (Trondheim, Norway). But I do live 5 minutes away from the slopes I practically used to live in as a teenager.

I've got a good impression of the AZ-forums so far, so even if I don't live/ski in the NE-part of the US, I hope it's allright to check out what's going on here.

Orjan

Greg

Staff member
Norway said:
I've got a good impression of the AZ-forums so far, so even if I don't live/ski in the NE-part of the US, I hope it's allright to check out what's going on here.
Absolutely. Welcome, Orjan!

Norway

Website
www.skinorway.no
Guess I should add that I did my senior High School year (class of 1992) in Fergus Falls, Minnesota. There I used to hang out with a group of really devoted snowboarders.
One day I got to join them in a small hill they used to snowboard. I'd never even tried a snowboard before and they were wondering why they even took this amateur with them. :oops: At the end of the day I was jumping at the same places as they did. They were really annoyed that I'd just spent one day learning what they had spent a whole year trying to learn.

Well, hope that wasn't too much bragging. It is just very good memory I have from skiing/snowboarding in the States.
Thanks to Tay, Mark and Eric that took me snowboarding.
:beer: :beer: :beer:

skibum1321

Have you ever been to Narvik? I remember it looked pretty sick in Global Storming. It was Stian Hagen's home resort.

Catul

I just came across this forum, glad to have found it! I'm 37, started skiing about 14 years ago mostly at Stratton, Okemo, Killington. My wife and I took took several trips out west between 1997 and 2000, then we had kids and haven't skied much since :(

Started out my eldest daughter with lessons last season at Ski Sundown, signed her up again this year and have enjoyed taking her down the Sunnyside Learning Area runs. I stopped off as a strong intermediate skier, probably around PSIA Level 7, but my first time out last year felt like a beginner again! Still, I'm excited about my kids getting into skiing and all of us going out together.

Wife and I took a nice getaway to Stratton over Thanksgiving, first time we'd really skied in five years, it was fun! My skis were Rossignols circa 1998, so I wanted new sticks even though I don't anticipate doing much other than following my daughter down the learning area. So I just bought some Volkl SuperSport 4 Stars off eBay (nice deal) and can't wait to get out there again. Will probably take my daughter to Sundown tomorrow and on Saturday. It's really convenient being only 20 minutes door-to-door (if that), but I'm starting to yearn for a little more terrain. :D

Greg

Staff member
Catul said:
Started out my eldest daughter with lessons last season at Ski Sundown, signed her up again this year and have enjoyed taking her down the Sunnyside Learning Area runs.
Welcome!

How is the school at Sundown? My daughter will be ready to start next season (she'll be 3 turning 4 next January). Do they have a camp or anything?

Catul

Greg said:
Welcome!

How is the school at Sundown? My daughter will be ready to start next season (she'll be 3 turning 4 next January). Do they have a camp or anything?

Thanks for the welcome! Thought I'd start a new thread on the Ski Sundown school here

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Welcome to everyone I missed!

You'll like the forum. You'll like it whether you like it or not.

Or something. :dunce:

Cool place to 'cyber hang' though, when it gets boring at work (like now for me).

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
How I found this forum...

I was searching on the term "ski cheap or die" since I have a little hobby website by that name and found that one of the members here uses it in his signature so I figured that I'm in good company.

Okay, time to pack the car and go. $29 for NH residents at Sunapee for the afternoon!

skibum

Here's my belated intro. Also you could read this post:http://forums.alpinezone.com/viewtopic.php?t=65&highlight= Be sure to look at the dates as you scroll down.
So yeah I grew up in Nashua then fled to Colorado in 93. Spent 2 years in Crested Butte, 2 years in Summit County, and 8 years in Steamboat. So now I'm back in NH to finish school and get a "real" job. Also New England just feels like home. All I miss about CO so far is the good job market and the comfort and safety of that rut I had dug.
I Grew up skiing and switched to snowboarding in 87. I have been going to mostly Cannon and am a little freaked out I don't have a pass this year. I ride mostly in the woods when possible, but will take a run through the park sometimes. I still ski once in a great while and have telemarked a bit also. In the summer I hike, bike and skateboard.
If you see an old school looking boarder at Cannon with a red beard and a blue Salomon, say hi, i'm ususally alone and looping Mittersill hikes, i could use a partner for safety.

northeastskipodcast

Website
www.northeastskipodcast.com

Jazzcat

Website
www.michaellewismusic.com
I ran across your forum while searching Google for Lindsay Jacobellis, and I decided to sign up - mostly to make myself jealous. This winter in Tennessee, we've had a snow drought. There has been NO SNOW at all until this week, and I'm like Gollum out there, totally grateful for the 3/4 inch we got and having to resist the urge to take my shovel and pile it all up in the shade somewhere. It's pretty pathetic.

And now it melted after like 12 hours. :angry: What is WRONG with this climate?!

So, hopefully I can come in here and enjoy the slopes vicariously. 8)

Blessings!
Jazzcat :cool:

JimG.

Staff member
Jazzcat said:
I ran across your forum while searching Google for Lindsay Jacobellis, and I decided to sign up - mostly to make myself jealous. This winter in Tennessee, we've had a snow drought. There has been NO SNOW at all until this week, and I'm like Gollum out there, totally grateful for the 3/4 inch we got and having to resist the urge to take my shovel and pile it all up in the shade somewhere. It's pretty pathetic.

And now it melted after like 12 hours. :angry: What is WRONG with this climate?!

So, hopefully I can come in here and enjoy the slopes vicariously. 8)

Blessings!
Jazzcat :cool:

Great Smokies? I hear that's a beautiful area. Gotta get there someday.

Glad you joined, send us some updates when it does snow.