• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Member Introductions Thread

roark

somehow I've never gotten around to posting in this thread...

Lived on Long Island for most of my childhood (Huntington) taking frequent trips up to NE. I was lucky to have parents that got me started early enough that I don't recall my first lessons (do recall they were at Okemo). Was becoming a competent skier when I moved to coastal CA with my mom when I was 11. Hardly skiied there, except for the one year I lived in Sacramento (Sierra at Tahoe).

Recently moved back east, to NH. Ski as much as my busy work schedule will allow on my ASC Bronze pass. Am currently the weakest link on the AZ Race Team - but having a lot of fun anyways! :beer:

Jazzcat

Website
www.michaellewismusic.com
*chuckles* Thank you! Actually Nashville is located four hours west of the Smokies, and the biggest mountains you'll find around here are glorified hills. They're good for sledding down during ice storms and that's about it. :D

The Smokies are pretty nice, but I admit I am dreadfully spoiled. Being from the Pacific Northwest, surrounded by Mount Hood, Mount Rainier, etc - and not terribly far from the Rockies and the Grand Tetons (love that range :)), I'm sort of hard to please now. So you skiiers who are taking notes, DON'T make a special trip to the Smokies for the skiing experience unless you live somewhere like Florida and are quite desperate. Stick with the Catskills and the Adirondacks in the NE. :)

I had lessons when I was little (because my parents used to be avid skiiers when we lived out that way - they still wistfully reminisce about Tahoe and places like that), but I've never had the opportunity to get serious and perfect my ski-lift techniques. I'm a bona fide tenderfoot who hopes to be a snowshoefoot someday. Yeah, someday... :dunce:

I'll definitely let you know when we get some white flakes that suspiciously resemble snow falling from the sky, but it's not much to write home about except on rare occasions once every decade or so. Our first snowfall this whole winter 2005-2006 was, seriously, Tuesday - the 3/4 inch I was so greedily wanting to hoard and steal from the neighbors. We did go out in the late night/early morning hours and make snowmen. What can I say? We're a desperate crew. :lol:

Enjoy YOUR snow, and as soon as we can, our whole family will join the crowd on the good slopes!
Blessings,
Jazzcat :snow:

ssusca

Well, I've been posting for a little while now and lurking for much longer but never knew this thread existed, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is Steve Susca. I’m 36 years old and live in Southington CT. I grew up in East Hartford and I started skiing at 11 at Mount Southington. I went to UConn and graduated in 1992 with a BS in civil engineering. I worked in CT for a few years and then moved up to Boston to work on the Big Dig for a few years. I then got married and moved back to CT.

My wife and I have a 2-year-old daughter who just got on skis for the first time just before Christmas this year. It was mainly dragging her around the back yard a little. She didn’t seem to like it all that much. Let’s hope that changes.

I work for Hoffmann Architects in North Haven CT as a structural engineer.

Hey Marc, I saw that you work for FM. I used to work with them also in the F&EC division. Pretty sweet working from home isn’t it? I, however learned that I could not be trusted to do so.

My company does a lot of building envelope rehabilitation type work. A lot of times we have issues come up regarding FM insured properties. Mostly they have to do with roofing or EIFS or things of that nature. Would you mind if I shot you a PM every now and the about the Data Sheets?

BTW who is your Engineering Field Manager (actually I think they are called Group managers now)? Is it Costa? If so, tell him I said hi.

skibum9995

I just came across this site and seems to be a great place.

About Me:
I'm 21 and in my fourth year at Lyndon State, majoring in Digital Media and Computer Science. I started skiing when I was 9 at Sunapee and had a pass there until it was leased. I was on the ski team in high school and wish I could continue in college but LSC doesn't have a team. I currently have a Burke pass and a Cannon/Sunapee/Gunstock pass and normally ski 3-4 times a week(I have no classes on Tues/Thurs).

Darth Skier

Hello everyone. I've been lurking for sometime and finally found time to register. Like all of you I love to ski. I reside in and ski mainly in NE PA (Shawnee Mt. is my home). I try to make a trip north on occasion. (Haven't been out west yet...skiing at least)

Anyway great site (the photos are fantastic!) and thanks to all who make it that way :beer: I'm looking forward to participating in lots of informative discussions here.

2knees

Just found this thread. Been around, lurking mostly, for a while. It's a cool place to kill time at work for sure. I live in Ct, 35 y.o. married with 2 young daughters. 2 year old and a 4th month old. I used to ski 25-40 days a year. Now i'm happy if i get 15. It's all worth it though. I work for a Ct retailer as a planner. Been skiing since i was 8. Went to school at Green Mtn college and Castleton State college in the late 80's early 90's. Skied and drank my way out of school though. Stupid feats done on my part. I basically love to ski bumps, my carving skills stink and i get bored skiing trees. Someday i'll take a lesson and learn how to properly carve a shaped ski.

Cheryl

Hi All! I am a new member... just signed up today. I am 35 and live in Northern NJ... if you are a skier in that area say hello :)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Look, a woman. Don't scare her off.

Welcome Cheryl. Everyone's real friendly around here. Don't be bothered if someone tries to hump your leg, it's just our way of saying hello.

roark

Marc said:
Look, a woman. Don't scare her off.

Welcome Cheryl. Everyone's real friendly around here. Don't be bothered if someone tries to hump your leg, it's just Marc and Chile's way of saying hello.

I fixed your quote.

nowell123

Hi, I'm Nowell, from Orange, MA. I found this site last summer and have checked it out nearly everyday since , so I figured I might as well register. I am in high school and have been skiing for about 4 years.
I've skied at Wachusett, Berkshire East, Gore, Sugarloaf, Mt. Snow, and most recently, Winter Park, Co. I've also been to Jay Peak, but that was the first time I ever skied, so I haven't really skied there.

Im heading up to Stowe tomorrow(during school thank god), but unfortunately they closed the front four today despite having them mostly open yesterday and getting 3-4 inches fresh, leaving Tres Amigos as the only double black still open.

I can ski nearly any trail, but the only trails that I really have good form on are groomers. In the moguls, I don't fall, but I also have no style or flow. I basically traverse over a few moguls, turn, and repeat the process. The only way to get better at them, though, is to do them.
Well I better end this here before I write too much, and I'm glad I finally registered

bvibert

Staff member
Welcome nowell, check out the threads about mogul skiing in the Skiing & Boarding forum. There's a lot of good info in there.

vimbuza

Hi

I'm a midwesterner transplant new to New England and this year new to snowboarding. I skied growing up mostly at Monarch, Wolf Creek, Keystone, Copper and Crested Butte. Since moving here a few months ago, I've tried Wachusett and Sunday River and had a blast. I hope to check out Sugarloaf, Butternut and Killington before the season is over.

bvibert

Staff member
vimbuza said:
I'm a midwesterner transplant new to New England and this year new to snowboarding. I skied growing up mostly at Monarch, Wolf Creek, Keystone, Copper and Crested Butte. Since moving here a few months ago, I've tried Wachusett and Sunday River and had a blast. I hope to check out Sugarloaf, Butternut and Killington before the season is over.
Welcome to the forums, the area, and the sport. I hope you enjoy them all!

imploded

I'll join the party. Name is Andrew - I'm from Uxbridge, MA; primarially a cyclist; the last time I attempted to ski I was extremely intoxicated. A few of my friends have been working me for about 6 months now to either ski or snowboard, especially since I have a place up in Tremblant that I go to yearly (to go riding). I'm 25 years old, business development nerd working for a large IT outsourcer.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Greg

Staff member
Welcome imploded and vimbuza!