• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Member Introductions Thread

livtoski

New Member Post.

I'm a middleaged dude that loves to ski, but doesn't get that much time to do it. Since I live on Long Island, I ski mostly in places that are in driving distance from the Island on day trips. Which means I mostly pray for snow all winter long.

bvibert

Staff member
Welcome to the forums livtoski. We have several LI residents here on the forums.

MRGisevil

I'm a middleaged dude that loves to ski, but doesn't get that much time to do it. Since I live on Long Island, I ski mostly in places that are in driving distance from the Island on day trips. Which means I mostly pray for snow all winter long.

Welcome!

Strong Island in the hizzle..welcome to the site..

TrickyDik

Just thought I'd drop by and say hello. I'm in my mid 20's and have been skiing since I can remember. Try to get out as much as possible, usually mid-week since I'm in the Coast Guard and work rotating shifts. Been involved with a few forums but never any ski related ones.

livtoski

Polski

I'm not polish, but Chech. I was surprised that handle was available myself. I've been using it for years and its nice it was available so I would not have to remember another name.

GinoDelG

Hello, I'm the New England Snow Detective

Hello, my name is Gino Del Guercio. I'm a part-time ski instructor at Blue Hills Ski Area, just south of Boston.

I recently started a new blog called the New England Snow Detective. I was tired of driving three or four hours north only to find the conditions were not what the ski area web sites said they were. http://newenglandsnowdetective.blogspot.com/

So I've created a blog to collected accurate and unbiased information about snow conditions in New England. Other than Blue Hills, I have no connection to the ski areas. My only revenue is from the Google ads that appear on my site.

Check out my site for the latest on snow conditions and please subscribe and tell your friends if you like it. And if you go skiing, send me a quick note (or even better a picture) about what the conditions were like. Thanks.

http://newenglandsnowdetective.blogspot.com/

tomlane

Website
www.wedeln.com
New guy tom

I have just joined and sent a couple of post already. I ride mostly at Wildcat, Attitash and Sunday River - usually get about 40 days a year in. This year I have a pass at Wildcat - if you need advice about that mountain I know it like the back of my hand.

I also do some ski and snowboard videos and completed a documentary last year. I really enjoy hitting the out of bounds trails, following stream beds and glades. I am interested in doing more filming of back country skiing and riding. My only real experience with true "hike up, ski down" is Tuckermans and I would like to learn more. If any one is interested in helping or with advice please shoot me a message.

I live and work in the Boston area. During the winter I spend most weekends at the Wedeln Ski House near North Conway.

Tom

chfriend

Hi everyone, just moved over here from Snow Journal when I started reading threads regarding similar or same topics over here and realized that they didn't degenerate into a steaming pile of asparagus and besides, you have my favorite smiley in the entire world:

:puke:

bvibert

Staff member
Welcome chfriend. I wish I could say that none of our threads deteriorate into, well as you put it, a steaming pile of asparagus, but it does happen from time to time. Then again everyone needs a little spice every once and a while... ;)

Where do you ski mostly?

chfriend

Welcome chfriend. I wish I could say that none of our threads deteriorate into, well as you put it, a steaming pile of asparagus, but it does happen from time to time. Then again everyone needs a little spice every once and a while... ;)

Where do you ski mostly?

The asparagus thing is from an old board I used to read. There were seven of so random words that were set as censored, and asparagus was one of them (had to be spelled A S P A R A G U S to show) I can't remember any of the other ones, for some reason asparagus remains lodged in my head, even after I've been away for all these years.

I normally ride Wachusett, unfortunately nothing else in suitable driving range for a regular trip. I'm hoping hard as hell I can get out of my living situation and move of to VT by next season. Anyone have a winning lottery ticket they'd like to donate? :spin:

swordy

Hello fellow alpine enthusiasts,

I am a powder addict (snow) living in Fairfield County CT, but this doesn't stop me from driving to Northern VT for every snow storm (many thanks to my non-skiing wife, Interstate 91, Audi, Blizzak snow tires and my dirt bag friends).

In the 1950s my parents would trek from Brooklyn NY to Mad River Glen for the weekend. I grew up skiing MRG & Plattekill (NY), initially with leather boots and wooden skis with cable bindings (I was born in 1963). I estimate that I have over 1,000 days on skis.

I only go to VT when there is powder available, typically doing side country laps off the Stowe gondi. I always enjoy a quick break at the bench. :wink: I also hit the Rockies at least once a season and Mt Washington in April.

I was in VT weekend of 12/8 and again 12/15 - it was amazing for December, incredible base with perhaps the best early season off piste conditions I have ever seen. Here are some photos of my favorite run (from last year).

sledhaulingmedic

The asparagus thing is from an old board I used to read. There were seven of so random words that were set as censored, and asparagus was one of them (had to be spelled A S P A R A G U S to show) I can't remember any of the other ones, for some reason asparagus remains lodged in my head, even after I've been away for all these years.

I normally ride Wachusett, unfortunately nothing else in suitable driving range for a regular trip. I'm hoping hard as hell I can get out of my living situation and move of to VT by next season. Anyone have a winning lottery ticket they'd like to donate? :spin:

Welcome to AZ. Yes, many of the same topics, many of the same characters, a little less :flame: wars.

rocojerry

rocojerry joins the club

The name Alpinezone is very familiar in my head, so I'm sure I've come across some posts in the past....

In the days when I had a seasons pass, every trip of course meant more bang for the buck -- but these last few years I've favored variety and better conditions and aimed for getting the most days in and spending less than the average season pass ($$$!), I haven't looked back yet but one day will 'settle down' with a mountain and call it home for a few years. Still aiming for 25-35 days each season, if my work and mother nature cooperate!

I've been writing my own trip journal for a few years, roco.telaetas.com , but it looks like maybe I should write to the Alpinezone bulletins more to share some of the conditions knowledge to a bit broader audience... and maybe find some more :snow: fantatics to hit the slopes with! For a while, I had a crew of people to go up north (VT, NH, ME) with, but unfortunately each year it dwindles... If I find myself at home, like I did this past weekend one more time when I wish I was out.... I may :uzi: or hit the slopes alone, but for the best terrain it's always good to have a few buds with you.

I ski and snowboard, but at this point am better on one stick than two.... I've been giving some more thought to backcountry, telemarking or split-boarding, but at the time don't have the cash to fund either new hobbby(and I currently live in the east) so am enjoying the gear that I have (K2 Nemesis 165, some Salomon SP3's/SPX90's and Burton IonHDs/DriverX's) which seem to all be doing well and letting my younger brother borrow-have the older gear as he's a poor college kid...

I try to look out for every deal/coupon I can, but forecasts are the true decision maker for me.... Pray for deep, keep it cheap -- Rock out!

-Jerry

kid3

Not New

Hi All, I am back after a couple of years. No internet at the house. Dial up don't cha know. I think I joined back in 96, but my profile was gone. Probably cause I wasn't using it for a few years. Anyway's nice to see some of the old members still around.

Working at the Loaf now and lovin it. See ya around the mountain.