• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Latest Netflix Selection?

Geoff

Gia's the only way to go if you want to watch an Angelina Jolie movie. :flag:

Gia isn't on streaming video yet. Until Netflix streaming made it easy to take a look at bad movies, the oldest Angelina Jolie movie I'd ever seen was Bone Collector.

Geoff

Recent streaming titles:

Pandorum - A zombie movie, more or less, set in space in the future. The chick was pretty hot... some German actress with a D-cup in her first English-speaking film. OK entertainment. I'll watch it again some time.

Spread - Anne Heche takes unemployed bum/gigalo Ashten Kutcher in as her boy toy and spreads. I guess it's a slap at Demi Moore. :) It was barely watchable and that's because there was enough exposed flesh from other actresses who appear as quick flings in it that I couldn't quite banish it forever with the remote control.

Oh yeah, I also saw Toy Story 3 on DVD. I thought it was in the bottom third of the 11 Pixar titles. I own pretty much all of the rest of them but I have no interest in buying this one.

Mildcat

Is anyone else as bad as me when it comes to returning the movies? I received The Hangover and School for Scoundrels on Sept 30 and I just mailed them back today.

Both were good movies, The Hangover was funnier but School for Scoundrels was good too. Typical Billy Bob type roll.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Is anyone else as bad as me when it comes to returning the movies? I received The Hangover and School for Scoundrels on Sept 30 and I just mailed them back today.

Both were good movies, The Hangover was funnier but School for Scoundrels was good too. Typical Billy Bob type roll.
We have 2 DVDs that have been sitting around for 2-3 weeks now. Don't always have the time to get to the DVDs...

Mildcat

We have 2 DVDs that have been sitting around for 2-3 weeks now. Don't always have the time to get to the DVDs...

I have Role Models and Avatar coming next, hopefully those wont sit around too long.

BackLoafRiver

I am MISERABLE at returning them. I had 3 dvd's sitting here since August. Finally watched them all. They were replaced with Ninja Assassins (which I have yet to watch), The Book of Eli, and The Nightmare on Elm Street.

First - the New Nightmare. B- at best. Easily the only saving grace was Jackie Earle Haley who I thought did a great job as Freddie. The story was weak. It lost a lot of the suspense and humor that made the original so great. Still, a solid watch for Halloween.

Then there is "The Book of Eli". It was released around the same time as Legion. Most people said it was significantly better and Denzel was a real badass. Legion (which was EASILY one of the worst movies I have seen in the theater) was no story, all action. "Eli" tried real hard and I think, deep down, had a credible storyline. Several plot issues got to me. The acting wasn't bad. (Mila Kunis is hot) And the first true fight scene was great. It just was missing...something. I don't know. The GF read a lot of subtext in it and I can see where she would get it. You'd have to see it to understand. I say B+. Will I own it? No. Should you see it? Eh. I think there is better stuff to watch right now.

Up next - Hot Tub Time Machine and Battlestar Gallactica

noski

I watched Babies a few nights ago. I LOLed....a LOT!

Conversely, I watched "Grown Ups" yesterday on an 11 hour bus ride from New Brunswick, and also LOL'ed a lot.... Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock, Rob Schneider, David Spade.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Membership change: they will have a unlimited streaming-only (no DVDs) option for $7.99/month. The 2-DVD + unlimited streaming plan is going up from $13.99 to $14.99/month. Thinking of ditching the DVDs... we're not too good about keeping up with watching them anyway and could save money this way.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Membership change: they will have a unlimited streaming-only (no DVDs) option for $7.99/month. The 2-DVD + unlimited streaming plan is going up from $13.99 to $14.99/month. Thinking of ditching the DVDs... we're not too good about keeping up with watching them anyway and could save money this way.
I saw that email. I may go down to 2 DVDs. Since we got a BR player with streaming capabilities, we watch far fewer DVDs than we used to. It is not unusual for a DVD to sit around for over a month before we get to it. And it has been a long time since we ran out of DVDs to watch until the next shipment (probably last time that happened was before we got streaming via the BR player).

That and I think just in principle I want to not give Netflix more money for 3 DVDs. The bump was pretty substantial, IMO, and we are not getting any better service for the price increase. It seems like we are being punished to allow Netflix to create a non-DVD option at the 3 DVD unlimited price point. It is going up $3 whereas the 2 DVD option is only going up $1. Why the price difference? I'll drop down to two unlimited and it will be cheaper than currently at $16.99. If they only went up a buck like the 2DVD plan, I might not care.

Edd

I wish they'd speed up the process of converting all content to streaming. I'm not sure that this is actually happening anyway. You'd think they would just automatically put all new incoming content onto the streaming selections but this is not the case.

I remember reading that Netflix is planning to go all streaming by the year 2030.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I wish they'd speed up the process of converting all content to streaming. I'm not sure that this is actually happening anyway. You'd think they would just automatically put all new incoming content onto the streaming selections but this is not the case.

I remember reading that Netflix is planning to go all streaming by the year 2030.

Probably agreements with the movie studios are dictating this process. Sort of like how Netflix and Redbox sometimes have to wait to release a movie for DVD rental even though it's available to purchase on DVD.

mlctvt

That and I think just in principle I want to not give Netflix more money for 3 DVDs. The bump was pretty substantial, IMO, and we are not getting any better service for the price increase. It seems like we are being punished to allow Netflix to create a non-DVD option at the 3 DVD unlimited price point. It is going up $3 whereas the 2 DVD option is only going up $1. Why the price difference? I'll drop down to two unlimited and it will be cheaper than currently at $16.99. If they only went up a buck like the 2DVD plan, I might not care.

I agree . We're currently on the 3 DVD plan and we also decided to go down to the 2 DVD plan due to the increase.
I just looked at my queue, there are 19 movies and only 4 are available with streaming. I checked this a few months ago and it was about the same ratio. Not too much is available on streaming. Are people limiting their viewing just to streaming? I find that hard to believe.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I agree . We're currently on the 3 DVD plan and we also decided to go down to the 2 DVD plan due to the increase.
I just looked at my queue, there are 19 movies and only 4 are available with streaming. I checked this a few months ago and it was about the same ratio. Not too much is available on streaming. Are people limiting their viewing just to streaming? I find that hard to believe.

I don't watch very much TV to begin with...just too damn busy. But since we only have basic cable, what's on streaming is a treat for us. We don't get to watch the TV shows on there (even though they're past seasons, they're new to us!). We've had 2 DVDs sitting for the last month, but have watched something on streaming almost daily. Works for me!

mondeo

Don't think I've gotten a new DVD in a month or so. Too lazy. Streaming, just boot up the XBox and go. There's still enough available online to keep me fairly content, and I can pick what I want to watch right then instead of predicting what I feel like a few days in advance.

Last watch was WM's Dynasty.

legalskier

Scott Pilgrim vs the World

Very unusual but very entertaining.

scott-pilgrim-2.jpg

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I have officially dropped down to 2 DVDs at a time. The only way I can see the price hike benefiting Netflix is that they won't have as many people like me sitting on DVDs for a long period of time without watching them. Otherwise, we will be watching the same amount of movies and Netflix gets $2/month less than they used to get out of me. I don't know if having to retain fewer DVDs will off set folks like me dropping to a cheaper plan. Perhaps it is a win-win. As more and more stuff goes watch instant, we'll be watching fewer and fewer DVDs. I can't wait until everything goes Instant and we only get DVDs for high end special effect type movies.

Speaking of hoarding DVDs for months without watching them, we finally watch Invictus last night. Great movie up until the last 15 or so minutes when it got really boring. Nothing is worse than a director trying to make something suspenseful when it is really very much the opposite. Sorry Clint, you had me for the first 1:15 or so of the movie. 15 minutes of slow mo is kind of ridiculous. Or at least it felt like that. Morgan Freeman rules!