• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Latest Netflix Selection?

Edd

I watched "Lars" at least a year ago, and was reminded of it by the story I just posted in AZ's "News of the Weird" thread (see below), in which a man married a pillow with a cartoon face drawn on it.
One's initial impulse is to laugh at Lars, and the "story may sound intolerably precious, but 'Lars and the Real Girl' is disarmingly sweet and quietly affecting."
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1175569-lars_and_the_real_girl/
It rated high on the Tomatometer. Hey, it might even get your mind off this depressing weather. :beer:

Loved Lars. Surprisingly good film.

Edd

My wife didn't like the main character Summer; she called her the b word. I thought she was fickle.
I wonder whether you will feel the same....

I was a bit disappointed with that flick. Decent, but not great.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
My wife didn't like the main character Summer; she called her the b word. I thought she was fickle.
I wonder whether you will feel the same....

I was a bit disappointed with that flick. Decent, but not great.
She was pretty up front that she didn't want a relationship. I don't know if I'd call her fickle then--guys do that all the time and nobody calls them "fickle," they're just being "guys."

I prefer "Peter and Vandy." It's an indie out-of-order sequence of events in a relationship and it's a little confusing at times because it's not labeled like (500) Days of Summer, but I thought they did a better job developing the characters. B was bored to death of (500) Days of Summer--he couldn't wait for it to end.

legalskier

She was pretty up front that she didn't want a relationship. I don't know if I'd call her fickle then--guys do that all the time and nobody calls them "fickle," they're just being "guys."

Fickleness applies to both sexes, and I don't think guys necessarily get a pass when they act capriciously toward women, at least from my experience as a father with a daughter. It's hurtful no matter who does it. Also, Summer may have said that, but she acted quite differently; hence the fickleness. Actions speak louder than words, no?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Fickleness applies to both sexes, and I don't think guys necessarily get a pass when they act capriciously toward women, at least from my experience as a father with a daughter. It's hurtful no matter who does it. Also, Summer may have said that, but she acted quite differently; hence the fickleness. Actions speak louder than words, no?

Watch it again. Just because she settled down afterward doesn't mean she wasn't being genuine with him. He wasn't the guy she wanted to have a relationship with. Even when he reviews his memories, you can see many memories when she is just not that into him. Seemed to me she hung around longer than she wanted to because he wanted that of her; she wasn't being genuine to herself. She made an offer of being friends afterward, however, and that seemed genuine. He told her that she would know love when she felt it; that was his definition. Well, she felt it after him with someone else. She can't be blamed for that.

I do like the transition from Summer to Autumn, though. Everything has a season. :D

BackLoafRiver

Just finished a few movies from the ol' queue. Since the school year is so crazy, rainy summer nights allow the GF and I to catch up.

Recently, I saw Sherlock Holmes, Public Enemies, and Alice in Wonderland.

Of the three, I enjoyed Alice the most. I didn't go in with any preconceived notions other than it was Tim Burton. I wasn't disappointed. It was enjoyable. Nothing spectacular and not great story telling. Just fun to watch.

Public Enemies was by fair one of the biggest disappointments of the year. Christian Bale and Johnny Depp...two heavy hitters with more thrown in. (Channing Tatum, Leelee Sobieski) It just didn't deliver in the way I thought a mob movie should. Maybe I have been blinded by my love for Goodfellas, The Godfather, The Untouchables...etc.

Coming to me for tomorrow: True Blood Season 2 disc one and Tropic Thunder.

Edd

Coming to me for tomorrow: True Blood Season 2 disc one and Tropic Thunder.

Just started True Blood recently and caught up to this current season pretty quick. Yee hah, what a great show!

I've been streaming Dexter lately through the Wii. Another great series.

ctenidae

Just reactivated my Netflix after deciding Blockbuster sucked and not having anything sucked more.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Watched Away We Go yesterday, too. I could relate to a lot of it so there were quite a few chuckles, though some of the serious stuff was really sad.

ctenidae-All the Blockbusters in our city went out of business. Kinda sad in that I helped open one of them when I was 16 but they've been replaced by Netflix and redbox (plus they have their own rental kiosks now).

ctenidae

We thought Blockbuster mailing would be good, since there is a Blockbuster near the house, but it's really just a hassle to go out there, swapping movies ends up costing late fees, and they don't have any free instant watching. So, all in all, I give them a "Feh"

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I"m a little behind... watched "Slumdog Millionaire" today. Interesting...
I really liked Slumdog. One of the best films of that year, IMO.

We just recently watched Shutter Island. Really really good but I couldn't quite give it five stars for a few reasons... mostly because it is so transparent from the get go. Not as good as Up in the Air, which I think has been the best of this year so far. We'll be checking out Invictus tonight.

Mildcat

I really liked Slumdog. One of the best films of that year, IMO.

We just recently watched Shutter Island. Really really good but I couldn't quite give it five stars for a few reasons... mostly because it is so transparent from the get go. Not as good as Up in the Air, which I think has been the best of this year so far. We'll be checking out Invictus tonight.

I didn't realize Shutter Island was on Netflix already, I'll have to add that to the top of my Queue. Scorsese wanted to shoot that at the old state hospital in Worcester but at the time it was scheduled to be knocked down. It's a shame, I use to love to walk through Greenhill Park and take the hiking trails down the hospital. Really creepy looking place, especially the first time I came out of the woods to see it. I have some pics of it but I can't find them right now.

http://www.opacity.us/article89_reality_halts_scorsese_movie_plans_at_clock_tower.htm

BackLoafRiver

Anyone ever not receive netflix discs in the mail? I sent 3 back on the same day and my next three were supposed to arrive on the 12th. Still nothing.

Thoughts? I reported the issue to Netflix and they are sending replacements.

legalskier

Insomnia

Directed by Chris Nolan (Inception; Memento), it gets into the head of Detective Dormer (Al Pacino), who arrives in Alaska to investigate the homicide of a teenage girl but can't catch a wink of sleep due to the long hours of daylight. Robin Williams is terrific as a novelist who becomes a suspect. What is reality? Rated a 92 on the Tomatometer.

dd_insomnia.jpg

bvibert

Staff member
We watched Hot Tub Time Machine yesterday. It was better than I expected, I laughed through a lot of it.

ctenidae

We watched Hot Tub Time Machine yesterday. It was better than I expected, I laughed through a lot of it.

Same here, only last week. Funnier than I would have expected. John Cusack's back on my "Like" list.

Just went through the last 3 month's new releases. Number of movies of interest: 0