• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Latest Netflix Selection?

bvibert

Staff member
I'm looking at my streaming video history. I've watched the following 2009 release movies:

Julie & Julia
Zombieland
TiMER
The Proposal
Surrogates
Men Who Stare at Goats
Did You Hear About the Morgans

I've also watched classics like:
Earth Girls are Easy
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the movie with Donald Sutherland, Rutger Hauer, and Pee Wee Herman)
Revenge of the Nerds

I wish the video quality was better but Netflix streaming content blows away anything on my cable feed

Maybe I just rely too much on what my wife puts in the instant viewing queue...

Mildcat

Recently purchased "Downfall"...the last ten days of Adolf Hitler. In German with English subtitles.

The guy who plays Hitler is amazing (Bruno Gantz). You may be familiar with the movie via the many You Tube Spoofs of Hitler's rants....(one about befriending Churchill on Facebook, pretty funny....original soundtrack with altered subtitles).

Anyway, historically accurate. I had just finished reading Citizen Soldiers (Steven Ambrose) and The Last Battle (Cornelius Ryan) about the Battle of Berlin....so the movie sort of capped the whole thing.

I wondered what movie those You Tube clips were from. Just added that to my queue.

I'm a big fan of Stephen Ambrose, I haven't read that one yet though. May have to pick it up.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
OK, so what are your top 5 all time movies?

In no particular order...

What Dreams May Come
Better Off Dead
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (Gene Wilder rules as Willy Wonka!)
A Christmas Story
Serendipity (alright, you got me... a chick flick)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'm looking at my streaming video history. I've watched the following 2009 release movies:

Julie & Julia
Zombieland
TiMER
The Proposal
Surrogates
Men Who Stare at Goats
Did You Hear About the Morgans
We just watched Surrogates last weekend. I really enjoyed it. Could have been even better, though. But I was not expecting much so I was really surprised.

Geoff

In no particular order...

What Dreams May Come
Better Off Dead
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (Gene Wilder rules as Willy Wonka!)
A Christmas Story
Serendipity (alright, you got me... a chick flick)

I like Serendipity. Kate Beckensale is incredibly hot! Of course, she's way better in leather as a vampire in the Underworld movies.

Mildcat

Has anybody watched Fire on the Mountain? Pretty good documentary about the 10th Mountain Division.

WakeboardMom

Holy sh*t, Sev. "What Dreams May Come?" That movie is just too disturbing for me. I'm probably way too much into escapism. My kids have memorized "Forest Gump." I can't imagine a world where someone's only seen it once. :wink:

Top 5? Don't know if I could do it, but I can say...in no particular order...except for the first three:

The Commitments (You have to watch it a few times to understand everything they say)
Arthur
Gone With the Wind
A River Runs Through It
All the Godfathers, but most particularly 1
The Usual Suspects
Diner
Caddyshack
The Breakfast Club
The Depahted

I really liked Benjamin Button...that's about as recent as I get...Something about Mary...lol...Shrek...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Holy sh*t, Sev. "What Dreams May Come?" That movie is just too disturbing for me. I'm probably way too much into escapism.
But it's so beautiful. The scenery in the movie (granted, CGI) is breath-taking. And the idea of him going to hell and back to save his wife. I know it's disturbing, but it's pretty romantic, too.

Commitments (You have to watch it a few times to understand everything they say)
I had to read it for Contemporary Irish Lit. There's another one after it, "The Snapper," that I also read (and there's a bad movie version of that). I did not read the last in the trilogy but I guess it's a sad one.

Geoff

My favorite obscure movies:

The Triplets of Belleville - Best animated movie ever
Hard Boiled - The best of the Chow Yun Fat / John Woo Hong Kong guns & ammo movies. Must be watched in Cantonese
Kung Fu Hustle - Hugely funny. Again, must be watched in Cantonese with subtitles. Shaolin Soccer is a great Stephen Chow movie, too.
The Evil Dead, Army of Darkness - Sam Raimi / Bruce Campbell B movies

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
has anyone tried the Netflix streaming to a WII?

I think that was mentioned in the thread already. We use Netflix streaming to Wii on a near-daily basis. Works well and can't beat the convenience (especially in our case where we only have basic cable so we don't have on-demand options otherwise). The picture quality isn't as good as a DVD, of course, but generally it's no worse than regular cable for us. Granted, we don't have an HDTV so YMMV.