• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Latest Netflix Selection?

jenychen

Just watched Mitt - documentary on his 2 x presidential runs. It's not really political, so whatever your views... but it is just interesting to see some behind the scenes.

legalskier

Captain Phillips
Even though I knew how it would end because it's based on a real incident, it still kept me on the edge of my seat.
"Not only a riveting drama about quiet heroism, but an eye-opening look at a clash of cultures." -SLC Tribune

Captain-Phillips-Review-1-560x315.jpg

xwhaler

Watched All is Lost w/ Robert Redford last wknd. There is no dialogue the entire movie and he is the only person in it so its kind of strange but its very cool. You really can sense how he feels his life slipping away.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I saw that also. Although I paid $5 on Amazon to rent it :/

i enjoyed it although

SPOILER ALERT

I didn't like the ambiguous ending. I hate that.

ScottySkis

[h=2]Dallas Buyers Club (2013)[/h] Alternate title: The Dallas Buyers Club I liked this movie a lot best i seen in a while. See the actor in this movie probably greatest performance I seen.

[h=3]Similar Movies[/h]

[h=3]Box Office Top 5[/h]
  1. The Lego Movie
  2. 3 Days to Kill
  3. Pompeii
  4. RoboCop
  5. The Monuments Men
More Box Office Data »

[h=3]TimesPulse[/h] [h=6]The most popular movies among NYTimes.com readers.[/h]
  1. Nebraska
  2. August: Osage County
  3. The Great Beauty
  4. Her
  5. 12 Years a Slave
Expanded List » | What's This?

16237801.jpg

[h=4]Read the New York Times Review »[/h] [h=6]By A. O. SCOTT[/h]
  • Directed by: Jean-Marc Vallée
  • Rating: R (Nudity/Strong Sexual Content/Profanity/Drug Content)

[h=3]Review Summary[/h] Skinny as a whippet and fierce as a snapping turtle, Matthew McConaughey brings a jolt of unpredictable energy to “Dallas Buyers Club,” an affecting if conventional real-life story of medical activism. The film, directed by Jean-Marc Vallée from a script by Craig Borten and Melisa Wallack, tells the story of Ron Woodroof, a Texas electrician and rodeo rider who, after receiving a diagnosis of H.I.V. in 1985, took his treatment into his own hands and helped others with the disease obtain medication not legally available in the United States at the time. When we first meet Ron, he is enjoying the company of two women and preparing to mount an enraged bull. Flamboyantly heterosexual and crudely homophobic, he runs on cigarettes, liquor and arrogance, with an occasional dose of speed or coke to boost his confidence. He is a proud good old boy, but not an especially nice person. In time, of course, his rougher edges will be smoothed away by suffering and compassion, though he will never entirely lose his wild, profane lust for life. He is redeemed, but not fully sanctified. — A. O. Scott
Full New York Times Review »

Edd

Finally got around to watching The Wire on On Demand. It's actually on Amazon Prime as well. I'm on season 2 (out of 5) and I can't get enough. Now I'll be one of those annoying people saying that you simply MUST watch it.

skiNEwhere

Just started watching breaking bad. I'm one of those people that believes if you are gonna watch a series, you need to start from season one episode one. I had to stop checking my newsfeed on Facebook when the finale came out since people were giving it away.

No spoilers!

Edd

Just started watching breaking bad...

Such a beautiful show. Visually, it almost justifies Blu-Ray if streaming it weren't 50 times easier. We watched it that way for a couple of seasons before streaming became an option.

Geoff

Long Ranger .great movie as liked the character of Tonto just as much if not more then the Ranger.

I thought this was one of my two worst Blu Ray buying mistakes. It's a toss-up between The Lone Ranger and Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters.

The best Blu Rays I've bought in 2014 were both animated. Despicable Me 2 and Frozen. I've bought around 20 titles so far this year. For new releases: Hunger Games 2 and Silver Linings Playbook to gawk at Jennifer Lawrence. Hobbit part 2. Wolf of Wall Street. Gravity. Thor 2. American Hustle. Dallas Buyers Club. Ender's Game. I have the Lego Movie and The Grand Budapest Hotel sitting here unwatched.

I'm kind of bummed I didn't go see Gravity on IMAX. Blu Ray on a 50" plasma doesn't do it justice. If I ever upgrade to a 100"+ 4K panel, it might be worth replacing the Blu Ray with a 4K disc.

skiNEwhere

I want to know what nexflix's criteria is on choosing which movies they stream.

The godfather is not available for streaming? Seriously?

Some sort of contract agreement with the film studio that wasn't met?

Edd

I want to know what nexflix's criteria is on choosing which movies they stream.

The godfather is not available for streaming? Seriously?

Some sort of contract agreement with the film studio that wasn't met?

That stuff changes per timed contracts with this or that media company. I'd be surprised if The Godfather had never been on Netflix streaming at this stage of the game. It all goes in cycles.

skiNEwhere

Such a beautiful show. Visually, it almost justifies Blu-Ray if streaming it weren't 50 times easier. We watched it that way for a couple of seasons before streaming became an option.

Just got to the second part of season 5. I'm hooked!

Edd

I'm kind of bummed I didn't go see Gravity on IMAX. Blu Ray on a 50" plasma doesn't do it justice. If I ever upgrade to a 100"+ 4K panel, it might be worth replacing the Blu Ray with a 4K disc.

Yeah, it was great on IMAX. That format is nearly the only reason to go to the movies for me. Blu-Ray on a 50" plasma sounds pretty sweet, though.

dlague

Yeah, it was great on IMAX. That format is nearly the only reason to go to the movies for me. Blu-Ray on a 50" plasma sounds pretty sweet, though.

This dialog is actually pretty funny considering where technology has taken us over the past 40 years - not just the viewing medium and how content is getting to the screen, but even what is being produced on films that we can watch in crystal clear HD and it all looks real.

My kids watched Jaws the other day in the car and were cracking up about how fake it looked!

skiNEwhere

Just finished Breaking Bad. I've never seen a series before where they slowly turn the protagonist into the antagonist, really enjoyed it overall. I read that Jesse was supposed to be killed off in season one but Vince Gilligan only reconsidered keeping him during the writers guild strike. Can't imagine the series would have really had the success it did without Jesse.

Still my favorite scene from the show