• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Latest Netflix Selection?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Directed by Chris Nolan (Inception; Memento), it gets into the head of Detective Dormer (Al Pacino), who arrives in Alaska to investigate the homicide of a teenage girl but can't catch a wink of sleep due to the long hours of daylight. Robin Williams is terrific as a novelist who becomes a suspect. What is reality? Rated a 92 on the Tomatometer.

dd_insomnia.jpg
I need to watch that one again. That was the first film by Christopher Nolan that I watched and he has since become one of my favorite directors and I have now seen all of his films. Definitely need to check that one out again, I recall enjoying it. Nolan is the man and is one or two more great films away from me considering him one of the best directors of all time.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Nice!!! Our DVD player has been on the fritz, so we just upgraded to a BlueRay player with Netflix streaming. It was only $30 or so more than a RoKu so why not add in BlueRay as well. Streaming is awesome but the selection currently is rather poor. I can't wait until Netflix has a majority of their stuff streaming. Ideally, I can't imagine why they will not have 100% streaming eventually. The quality is not DVD or BlueRay but I could care less. You can always still have them mail you the DVD or BR for movies with a lot of fx.

Mildcat

I saw a Blueray a couple of months ago that streamed netflix and Pandora, I was tempted to buy it. But then my frugal side showed up and talked me out of it.

I just hope Netflix's prices don't increase because of paying out more royalties.

hammer

Nice!!! Our DVD player has been on the fritz, so we just upgraded to a BlueRay player with Netflix streaming. It was only $30 or so more than a RoKu so why not add in BlueRay as well. Streaming is awesome but the selection currently is rather poor. I can't wait until Netflix has a majority of their stuff streaming. Ideally, I can't imagine why they will not have 100% streaming eventually. The quality is not DVD or BlueRay but I could care less. You can always still have them mail you the DVD or BR for movies with a lot of fx.
I get Netflix streaming on my son's XBox 360...agree on the poor selection but the picture quality is pretty decent on the HD offerings.

legalskier

Quarantine

Decent zombie/house of horror flick, starring Jennifer Carpenter (Dexter's sister in Dexter). With some very suspenseful moments, it's a real splatfest shot in first person POV but the camera stays relatively stable (unlike the nauseating Cloverfield). It's a remake of a Spanish film called [rec]. Enjoy with a nice Chianti! :smile:

images

Last edited:

Edd

Lord, Save Us From Your Followers. It looks at the "culture wars" in the US from a pretty evenhanded perspective. Very good stuff.

Sky

Recently purchased "Downfall"...the last ten days of Adolf Hitler. In German with English subtitles.

The guy who plays Hitler is amazing (Bruno Gantz). You may be familiar with the movie via the many You Tube Spoofs of Hitler's rants....(one about befriending Churchill on Facebook, pretty funny....original soundtrack with altered subtitles).

Anyway, historically accurate. I had just finished reading Citizen Soldiers (Steven Ambrose) and The Last Battle (Cornelius Ryan) about the Battle of Berlin....so the movie sort of capped the whole thing.

WakeboardMom

Just returned The Blind Side, not as good as the book. Date Night is in route.

I'm thinking that there's no way Eat, Pray, Love can be as good as the book. Thank you for the review of The Blind Side.

Just returned Benjamin Button to NetFlix. We don't watch many movies. Next up is It's Complicated.

Geoff

"We are giving people more and more reason to stream instead of waiting to get their DVDs through the mail," Sarandos said

I'm one of those. The quality isn't the greatest but the Netflix library is immense. I will probably get rid of cable completely since the only thing I watch on TV is the Red Sox.

I have a Panasonic Blu Ray player with Netflix streaming and Pandora. Other than my iPod and the occasional Blu Ray DVD, that's where all my content comes from these days.

Edd

I've been very impressed with Netflix streaming on the Wii, which is only capable of standard def. I watched the new Star Trek movie recently and was shocked at the good quality of the stream. The user interface on the Wii is the best I've seen on any streaming device.

My GF has an early CRT HDTV set capable, it appears, to only accept an HD signal of 1080i. She bought an HD Roku player which, if set to HD, sends a 720p signal. Her TV can't accept the signal. So she has to have it set to SD, which is ok except for one thing. It's a widescreen TV and, if the Roku is set to widescreen, the TV does this visual blipping thing every 30 seconds or so. She can't tolerate that so she sets the player to non-widescreen, which presents a stretched image on a widescreen TV. It drives me nuts to watch that. I'd throw that TV through a window but it's so heavy I'd probably sprain something.

bvibert

Staff member
I've been very impressed with Netflix streaming on the Wii, which is only capable of standard def. I watched the new Star Trek movie recently and was shocked at the good quality of the stream. The user interface on the Wii is the best I've seen on any streaming device.

I've been happy with Netflix through the Wii too. I don't think the quality of the picture is that great for the most part though, no worse than the average quality from our cable box, but that's not saying much. We only have SD anyway so that's not too big of a deal to me. Of course it depends on what else is using the internet connection while it's streaming. I've jacked it all up by trying to download something big on my laptop while my kids are trying to watch a movie...

Greg

Staff member
We stream Netflix through the TiVo. Very convenient, but the kid movie selection sucks for instant queue stuff.

Geoff

I watched Showgirls on streaming Netflix last night. One of the worst movies ever made but I think I'll watch it again tonight.

elizabeth_berkley_showgirls.jpg

bvibert

Staff member
We stream Netflix through the TiVo. Very convenient, but the kid movie selection sucks for instant queue stuff.

Our kids are fairly easy when it comes to variety of selection, sometimes they'll even watch the same thing a few times in a row. :lol: But, yeah, now that you mention it there's not too much recent-ish kid's movies on there. Then again there's not too much recent-ish movies on the instant selection in general..

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I watched Showgirls on streaming Netflix last night. One of the worst movies ever made but I think I'll watch it again tonight.

elizabeth_berkley_showgirls.jpg
I didn't know that was on streaming now!

I love the independent films that I've discovered through streaming. Some interesting stuff out there...

Arrived in the mail today: Shutter Island and Martian Child.

Geoff

Then again there's not too much recent-ish movies on the instant selection in general..

I'm looking at my streaming video history. I've watched the following 2009 release movies:

Julie & Julia
Zombieland
TiMER
The Proposal
Surrogates
Men Who Stare at Goats
Did You Hear About the Morgans

I've also watched classics like:
Earth Girls are Easy
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the movie with Donald Sutherland, Rutger Hauer, and Pee Wee Herman)
Revenge of the Nerds

I wish the video quality was better but Netflix streaming content blows away anything on my cable feed