• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Latest Netflix Selection?

legalskier

Bernie

Starring Jack Black, Shirley McClain, Matthew McConaughey, & lots of real townspeople
Recommended, just don't expect your usual Jack Black type humor.

One of the year's most unassumingly ambitious American narratives arrives in the digital marketplace, giving audiences a chance to see Jack Black's career best performance in an effortlessly entertaining film that fell through the cracks. -J. Cronk
While Linklater does a fantastic job in creating an entertaining true crime story, he also hits home the realization that darkness can be found in the sweetest of souls, making a film that is as tragic as it is funny. -M. Pejkovic

Edd

Moonrise Kingdom! A great, unmistakably Wes Anderson film. I don't think I've disliked one of his pictures yet.

Mpdsnowman

When I saw Netflix had this I had to watch all 20 episodes...Im certain not too many of you remember this show but boy it was great I loved watching it on fridays as a kid.....

Gotta love Carl! lol

mlctvt

When I saw Netflix had this I had to watch all 20 episodes...Im certain not too many of you remember this show but boy it was great I loved watching it on fridays as a kid.....

Gotta love Carl! lol

One of my favorite shows as a kid. I'll have to watch them again! Hopefully I won't be disappointed? It's tough to watch anything from the 70s today.

Mpdsnowman

One of my favorite shows as a kid. I'll have to watch them again! Hopefully I won't be disappointed? It's tough to watch anything from the 70s today.
Actually its kinda cool with this show to compare. No computers, no cell phones, typewriters lol, news was just as important and the means in which it was reported was very efficient for that timeframe..

My favorite was the headless bike rider lol....Lets just say the entertainment industry has come along way with special effects lol...

SKIQUATTRO

just watched Jurassic Park with the girls (7 and 10) they loved it and i had forgotten about it....good flick
Country Strong ready to go in the dvd

legalskier

Moonrise Kingdom
Recommended. Directed by Wes Anderson & set along coastal R.I. in 1965, just as a hurricane is about to hit and one of the camper/scouts decides to run away into the woods. (Strangely prescient, given the subsequent devastation of Hurricane Sandy.) Starring Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis, Francis McDormand, Jason Schwartzman, Bob Balaben, Harvey Keitel, Tilda Swinton & a slew of young scouts.
"Films that can charm kids and adults in equal measure are rare. This is one of them." -The Daily Star

moonrise-kingdom_610.jpg

Last edited:

legalskier

Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World
Meh. Starring Steve Carell & Keira Knightly. After seeing all the positive reviews, my wife wanted to see this chick flick. So we started watching it. After half the movie she wanted it to stop- couldn't take it anymore. I thought the first half moved along well & had some interesting dark humor, but the second half was like a car that blows a flat and tries to limp along til it gets to a service station. NY Times: "after a sharp and promising start, [it] collapse into a mild, lump-in-the-throat romantic comedy that is not made significantly more urgent or interesting by the prospect of global calamity. On the contrary, it seems downright unfair that billions of people have to die so that a middle-aged sad sack can cop a cuddle with a cute, younger bohemian neighbor."

SEEK-articleLarge.jpg

Looks forced, no?
"Moonrise Kingdom" (post #590 above) would be a better use of your time.

Last edited:

Geoff

just watched Jurassic Park with the girls (7 and 10) they loved it and i had forgotten about it....good flick

I've seen the movie a bajillion times and it still manages to scare me out of my chair while watching it. It's incredibly well done.

legalskier

The Iron Lady

Recommended. Worth watching if only to see Meryl Streep's astonishing performance. It's as if she is possessed by the spirit of Margaret Thatcher. The movie itself wasn't what I expected- it's an intimate portrait of an elderly Maggie having flashbacks to the pivotal events of her life in politics, including when she initially embarked on her career (another actress plays the young Thatcher), some of which were downright raucous. For example, the scenes surrounding the British defense of the Falklands were gripping, despite knowing its outcome. Other events come as a complete shock. One question I had, without giving much away, is how the screenwriter could have known about Thatcher's condition as she aged- or was it fabricated as a literary device to justify the flashbacks? The supporting cast is excellent, some of whom look uncannily like their historical counterparts.

Iron_Lady_26_2100991b.jpg

Last edited:

ScottySkis

The Iron Lady

Recommended. Worth watching if only to see Meryl Streep's astonishing performance. It's as if she is possessed by the spirit of Margaret Thatcher. The movie itself wasn't what I expected- it's an intimate portrait of an elderly Maggie having flashbacks to the pivotal events of her life in politics, including when she initially embarked on her career (another actress plays the young Thatcher), some of which were downright raucous. For example, the scenes surrounding the British defense of the Falklands were gripping, despite knowing its outcome. Other events come as a complete shock. One question I had, without giving much away, is how the screenwriter could have known about Thatcher's condition as she aged- or was it fabricated as a literary device to justify the flashbacks? The supporting cast is excellent, some of whom look uncannily like their historical counterparts.

View attachment 6987

+1 it was very good, I highly recommend it to.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

legalskier

Marvel's The Avengers
Highly recommended. There is no "i" in "team"...but there is, in "Loki."
"Never underestimate the entertainment value of the Hulk Smash." -CNN.com
"If you are a Marvel fan, then The Avengers will feel like Christmas. Thanks to the merry doings of the director, Joss Whedon, all your favorite characters are here, as shiny and as tempting as presents under the tree." -The New Yorker

the-avengers.jpg

mlctvt

We just watched the first few episodes of Season 1 of "Lilyhammer ". If anyone's a Sopranos fan you might enjoy this one.

It's a Netflix produced series starting Steven Van Zandt in a similar roll to what he played in Sopranos. He plays a New York gangster who testifies against a mob boss so he goes into witness protection in Lillehammer Norway. It's got some hilarious moments. We're really enjoying it so far.

Season 2 is commissioned but on hold because Steven is currently touring with Bruce Springsteen's band.

Last edited:

Edd

Young Adult - pretty damn good dark comedy...doesn't compromise

The Giant Mechanical Man - run of the mill quirky indie. Decent cast. Can't recommend it unless you're bored.

Downton Abbey season 2 - (man card revoked!) So far I like season 1 better