• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Elan 888 vs Fischer Watea 94 vs Volkl Mantra

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
you could go eany meany miney moe and not make a bad choice with those three skis.
Disagree. I hate the Mantra but love Fischer's Watea lie up. Very different feel to those two skis. As noted, much higher sidecit numbers from the 888. My feeling is these three skis from the same class all are different feel and temperment. You could go very wrong not selecting a ski that does not match your needs.

madskier6

I'd try to demo all of 'em out there and make my purchase out there. May do well with "late season" pricing in March, and cost of demo may be applied to the purchase price.

Heh, good luck with that demoing. Been looking for a while. Buying without a demo.

Out west, it's a lot easier to demo multiple high-end skis during the same week & have the demo costs applied towards the purchase. I agree with the Dr on this one. Whatever you can't demo at Wa, do the demos out in Colorado & reap the benefits. Then you can make a really informed choice for you.

After all, do you really have to have the new skis in hand when you head out west?

roark

Finally got the atua (same as watea?) out at Magic monday. Awesome ski. I didn't notice the longer length (186) at all. Totally comfortable in tight trees and confidence inspiring at speed through variable wind scoured, wind slab and deep powder drifts.

Finally got the atua (same as watea?) out at Magic monday. Awesome ski. I didn't notice the longer length (186) at all. Totally comfortable in tight trees and confidence inspiring at speed through variable wind scoured, wind slab and deep powder drifts.

the atua is an older version of the misfit...full twin...its a little bit softer than the wateas...and because its a twin the atua skis a little shorter than the 186 watea 94...and would be part of the reason it didn't seem too long. great ski...really versatile as you've mentioned.

OK, so which one looks cooler?

I think the Fischer is kinda dull and it's a real wimp-out they went with the same design for all widths on this one. The Elan is cool, subtle and a little retro. Not sure what's going on with the Mantra, but I kinda like it. I say the Elan wins in looks.

the graphics aren't the most inspired on the watea...but the cooler they look the more likely some ahole is going to steal them! Besides, you spend too much time looking at your skis and you'll crash into something...got helmet? Hahaha... graphic is diff, very similar, but diff from the 78 to the 84 to the 94...the 101 and 94 are exactly the same though. Next year's look 100% better.

Grassi21

Sierraskis.com has them for $288 and you don't have to beat the clock or pay shipping.

wow. the 84s are really striking my fancy lately. i was hoping to unload my nordicas first but 288 is tough to beat.

ps - and they have them in 78 as well. this would replace my nordicas (78 underfoot) as my sundown bump/groomer ski.

Last edited:

wa-loaf

wow. the 84s are really striking my fancy lately. i was hoping to unload my nordicas first but 288 is tough to beat.

I demoed them in March. Terrific ski and probably an ideal 1 quiver ski for the EC. Thought about it though and since I have a good pair of skinny skis I wanted to go with something fatter for powder days.

Buy now, unload later. :grin:

Grassi21

I demoed them in March. Terrific ski and probably an ideal 1 quiver ski for the EC. Thought about it though and since I have a good pair of skinny skis I wanted to go with something fatter for powder days.

Buy now, unload later. :grin:

I like the sound of buy now. :) I have the Volkl Gotamas for pow days. Not expecting more out of the Wateas than to handle groomers and bumps.

dropKickMurphy

I like the sound of buy now. :) I have the Volkl Gotamas for pow days. Not expecting more out of the Wateas than to handle groomers and bumps.

I love the Watea 84s(184), but I actually think my Gotamas(190) may be better on the groomers. I was actually surprised at how strongly the Gotamas carve on steep firm surfaces.

I believe the bindings have a lot to do with that. My Gots are mounted with Dukes. The wide base, the stand height, and the overall burliness of the Dukes really make it easy to turn over the wider skis, and to hold a strong solid edge.

My Watea 84's are flat mounted with LD-12's. The overall setup is light and very fun to ski. What I really like about this setup is the quick and easy turns, as well as the sensation of feeling the snow surface under my feet. I do think this makes a nice single quiver EC ski; but its real strengths are trees, bumps, and moderate(1-6") powder.

Grassi21

I love the Watea 84s(184), but I actually think my Gotamas(190) may be better on the groomers. I was actually surprised at how strongly the Gotamas carve on steep firm surfaces.

I believe the bindings have a lot to do with that. My Gots are mounted with Dukes. The wide base, the stand height, and the overall burliness of the Dukes really make it easy to turn over the wider skis, and to hold a strong solid edge.

My Watea 84's are flat mounted with LD-12's. The overall setup is light and very fun to ski. What I really like about this setup is the quick and easy turns, as well as the sensation of feeling the snow surface under my feet. I do think this makes a nice single quiver EC ski; but its real strengths are trees, bumps, and moderate(1-6") powder.

thanks dropKick. that is the kind of info i am looking for. i felt my Gots (w/Baron bindings) handled the groomers better than my nrodicas with an integrated binding system. but the wateas mounted up with the non touring equivalent of the dukes/baron could be a nice combo. i think they are the marker griffon and jester.

Rambo

I have demoed both the Elan 888 (168cm) and the Fischer Watea 84 (178cm) and found them both to be totally awesome, go anywhere, do anything east coast skis.