• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who Needs Ligaments, anyways?

skiboarder

When I saw the title of your thread, I feared ACL! Of course, this sucks and am hoping you get those Mt Washington turns later in the season.

skiboarder

Didn't break docs orders last time I hurt myself. Guys, it just is not worth the risk to me. Call my perspective long term. We all have different risk tolerances. I ain't risking not skiing M.Washington corn just for a few extra pow days.

Yours is the right call.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I am awaiting a visit to the Ortho on Tuesday. The ER put me in a split and advised against turns. I am assuming needing a splint would suggest that another fall on that hand would be very bad. So I am following doctors orders. Assuming I need surgery to fix the ligament, that is going to require time to heal and probably some PT. Without having seen a doc, it seems like a 2 month time line seems likely.

Could I ski right now? Yea, sure. But I would rather focus on full recovery without risk of complications or causing more harm. Going to be smart and follow docs orders... powder be damned.

Steve, let us know what the doc says. I see powderfreak too a day out skiing low angle woods, a bit earlier than the doc would like. says it felt fine, but still being very careful.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Stretch only, no tear! Doc says keep it in the splint for three weeks. Skiing should be okay starting next week with split (and a really big mitt, LOL). Way better than I expected. Thankfully, no surgery.

drjeff

Stretch only, no tear! Doc says keep it in the splint for three weeks. Skiing should be okay starting next week with split (and a really big mitt, LOL). Way better than I expected. Thankfully, no surgery.

Great news Riv! Good to go for March powder season AND you'll be ready for the 1st round on the golf course too when the white stuff melts down in the lowlands :) You'll have to plan a dual day with some turns in the AM and some golf in the PM one day, it's really quite a fun day when you can pull it off :)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Great news Riv! Good to go for March powder season AND you'll be ready for the 1st round on the golf course too when the white stuff melts down in the lowlands :) You'll have to plan a dual day with some turns in the AM and some golf in the PM one day, it's really quite a fun day when you can pull it off :)
I don't see myself going for that. Touring takes too much out of me. And I usually ski weekends but almost exclusively golf mid-week for the cheaper rates and uncrowded courses.

drjeff

I don't see myself going for that. Touring takes too much out of me. And I usually ski weekends but almost exclusively golf mid-week for the cheaper rates and uncrowded courses.

Don't write it off yet, maybe score some mid/late May Tucks turns and then take advantage of the well after 7PM sunset for a late afternoon twilight rate 9!

I've done the double about a dozen times over the years and it's almost a surreal thing when you're making morning turns and thinking that you'll be swinging the clubs in a few hours and then when your on the course you're thinking how cool it was that you were making turns a few hours ago! :)

wow..way better results than being out for 2 months...good for you!!!

Don't write it off yet, maybe score some mid/late May Tucks turns and then take advantage of the well after 7PM sunset for a late afternoon twilight rate 9!

I've done the double about a dozen times over the years and it's almost a surreal thing when you're making morning turns and thinking that you'll be swinging the clubs in a few hours and then when your on the course you're thinking how cool it was that you were making turns a few hours ago! :)

A couple seasons ago I skied 20 runs at Blue mountain then played 18 holes at Riverview..I was DFT afterwards..Dead Effing Tired..I'm glad my trunk is large enough for my ski and golf gear on the same day..

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Steve, you're not supposed to go and hurt yourself during the deepest snow of the year :-(

I know how much messing up the ligaments in the thumb hurts. My first year skiing I was at Jay in December and trying launching out of the last waterbar on Lower UN. I got shot straight up in the air and came down on my right thumb. It was incredibly tender the rest of the day. To this day, my thumb still clicks and pops if I move it around in a circle. It is probably not going to be a pretty sight when I'm 70 :roll:.

Hopefully the repairs to you thumb are successful and we can get together for some rockpile turns this spring.