• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best and Worst East Coast base lodges?

St. Jerry

Probably been discussed before, but let's start anew.

I.M.O:

Best:
MRG (funky New England atmosphere)
Whitetail, PA (comfy couches next to the starbucks, always room upstairs next to the fireplaces)

Worst:
Gore. (like a large bomb shelter)
Bolton Valley (pretty run down)

then again, the "worst" lodges probably help keep some of the crowds away.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Basebox at MRG would not get high votes from me despite its funky appeal as it is very unfunctional. Steep stairs, crowded, two floors to go down to get to the bathroom (from upstairs where I base), not enough places to sit, etc.

Saddleback's lodge is stellar.

Jay's stateside needs a lot of work but that isn't in the cards.

Though it still has a ways to go, Magic is the most recently best improved.

I have always appreciated Wildcat's function over form.

If I had to pick one best it would probably be Saddleback's.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Best: Saddleback and I'm with River giving Wildcat a nod for functionality.

Worst: Cannon Peabody side lodges. I'm sure they suffice mid-week, but on a weekend they are a nightmare.

Geoff

Best: Crotched. Ugly but huge and sensible.

Worst: Killington aka K1 Base Lodge. Mob scene.

When was the last time you were in the KBL? Over the last two years, it's usually not that busy unless the weather sucks and people are lodge lizzards instead of skiing.

sledhaulingmedic

Saddleback, with a runner up to Dartmouth.

SR has to be amongst the worst not mentioned yet.

eatskisleep

Best: Brettonwoods or Black Mountain when it isn't crowded.

Worst: Mt. Ellen Lodge at Sugarbush. Or almost any lodge at Sunday River.

Not really a fan of Wildcat's new set-up, without the little "corner" by the stairs, it was its own separate section to the main lodge. People are always walking over you and your stuff now too. I like the old chairs of before with the back rests on them too.

Edd

I agree SRs lodges don't live up to the mountains themselves.

I think the lodges at Saddleback and Bretton Woods are of similar quality, which is interesting.

I enjoy hanging out at Wildcat's bar. A sunny, windless day at Wildcat is pretty sweet (just thought I should say that).

Sugarloaf has cool places to hang in the village, but the lodge needs work. It sucks.

Loon lodges are ok, and that Octogon bar has the best beer selection I've seen , east or west coast, by a long shot.

Cannon lodges are similar to Wildcat, but I like them better for some reason.

I haven't hit Jay's lodges in 1.5 years, but I thought they sucked before, compared to the mountain.

I could go on and on.....

4aprice

One of the best is the Base Lodge at Camelback. Large and roomy with plenty of tables and seating to be found on even the busiest days. The main lounge rocks on the weekend and the East Side Bistro is nice and includes The Pennsylvania Winter Sports and Ski Museum.

The Bubbles at Mountain Creek are horrible.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Another really subjective topic...

Cool: Shawnee Mt in PA - Feels like a lodge, not just a cafeteria
Lame: Mountain Creek, NJ - It's a 10 year old smelly tent.

AMAC2233

I love mid-mountain lodges: Bullwinkles at Sugarloaf, Peak Lodge at Sunday River, Camp 3 at Loon, Sunnyside at Waterville...there are many more I'm forgetting or haven't seen.

evantrentful

I just want to comment on the worst. The best is def subjective. But worst, honestly I think anyone can attest or admit whether they have been there or not is Mountain Creek's Vernon bubble tents. I cant think of anything anywhere that comes close at any mountain of size.
It blows my mind that they can continue with such a venue

salsgang

I have only skied mostly in Maine. But Saddleback is #1 and Black Mountain in Rumford is #2. Both great post and beam structures.

Saddleback is going to have to expand however if they keep getting the vacation weeks crowds they got this year. It was jam packed.