• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dubai UAE 14/02/2009

dmc

Date(s) Skied: 14/02/2009 or (02/14/2009)

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Dubai

Conditions: Machine Made

Trip Report:

Roled into Dubai after a 14 hour flight and pretty much pulled our stuff out of our ski bags and went to the done... Called a few taxis from my buddies apartments and headed over the few kilometers to the Dubai Mall. The mall is first class.... lots of tourist and rich Arabs in traditional garb.. Including burkas... Nobody really batted an eye at 8 freaks from Hunter walking through a luxury mall with skis and boards...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9FduxkFo_8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWC0VT3dzXk
Kashmir_DougDomeMall.jpg

One of the first things you see is a big restaurant that looks out over the snow through huge glass windows.... it's setup to look alpine.. Big fireplaces with flat panel TVs playing a recording of a fire...

We get to the Dome a buy tickets... The price was 100 dirhams( 25 US)..
Immediately ran into the guys from Iron Maiden who performed the night before... Thought that was cool.
We buy the tickets and head to the lockers.. My Splitboard was causing quite the stir and I laughed at the irony of bring a split 170 into a ski dome.. Lots of irony this whole trip.. But this was the first good one...
KashmirDomeChanging.jpg

After changing we went through the turn styles into the dome... You walk through a glass door into the dome and it's a blast of cold wet air... the temp is about -1c .... It's pretty warm.. And humid...
The lift is right outside the door... Walked through another turn style activated by proximity of the ticket... Kinda cool... They had a few rails... A aerial bag... and a 1/4pipe at the top that was being fixed....
The lift is a quad with a middle station... The middle station had a cafe..... No booze so we didn't stop... :)
KashmirDomeMiddleStation.jpg

(Middle Station)
KashmirDomeAvalanceCafe.jpg

(AVI Cafe')
KashmirDomeBag.jpg

(Bag)

Just after the middle station the chair makes a left turn to finish the ride...

The snow was typical man made.... No ice...
KashmirETDome.jpg

Kashmir_DougBobDome.jpg

We did a few runs and left for an afternoon on the beach... Body surfing in the Arabian sea, smoking shisha(only flavored tobacco) and drinking beer...
KashmirDubaiDougShishaII.jpg

KashmirETsApt.jpg

Dubai was amazing...

Next stop.... The Himalayas! KASHMIR!!!!!! Curry POW!!!
teaser_Nick.jpg

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
Pretty rad. They need to seed a bump run. ;)

dmc

Pretty rad. They need to seed a bump run. ;)

I hear they've done that before in Ski Dubai... It would've been nice to have some bumps... :) anything to make it interesting...

It was cool to go to... But we only skied a few runs..

bvibert

Staff member
Cool TR, must be a really interesting trip. The dome sounds and looks to be really well run.

nice..you guys look like you blended right in..lol..nice pictures and video..I hope Kashmir was half as sick as Dubai...

Dubai is on my list of places I want to visit. I saw an hour long program on the travel channel about Dubai and it seems really cool..and I'm glad it was only Tobacco you were smoking..UAE has strict laws..on everything..

Did they chill down the air sufficiently for effect?
Bizarre seeing you in a mall with your board.
Most unnatural experience, by far?

Apparently Xanadu is only half the vert of Ski Dubai...I do enjoy going from Sandals to ski boots..JEA!!!!! Did the mall have a Spencers Gifts???

dmc

Did they chill down the air sufficiently for effect?
Bizarre seeing you in a mall with your board.
Most unnatural experience, by far?

Like I said... the air was humid with a temp JUST under freezing...

It was wild being in luxury of Dubai - skiing inside - in a luxury mall..
Then in remote Kashmir living in cabins with woods stoves and power fading in and out at the base of a huge 14,000' ridge...

dmc

nice..you guys look like you blended right in..lol..nice pictures and video..I hope Kashmir was half as sick as Dubai...

Dubai is on my list of places I want to visit. I saw an hour long program on the travel channel about Dubai and it seems really cool..and I'm glad it was only Tobacco you were smoking..UAE has strict laws..on everything..

We would've blended in better if we wore Speedos.. but nobody needs to see that.. Saw lot's of thongs... :)

You don't F around in Dubai... they let you get away with a lot of stuff... But some things you don't F with...

Kashmir was incredibly different but still SICK!

You go from this
KashmirDubaiTheCrew.jpg

to this
Kashmir_213.jpg

dmc

Cool video from the plane...
Coming into Dubai over the Persian Gulf...