• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon question

Edd

I've been there a few times but never when the tram is open. Turns out its open every day this week, I assume because this is NH vacation week. Is there any reason not to park at that lodge?

I'm skiing Wed/Thurs this week, some combo of SR and Cannon. SR is holding a snowboarding event and I'm starting to think avoiding crowds will be harder than usual.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I've been there a few times but never when the tram is open. Turns out its open every day this week, I assume because this is NH vacation week. Is there any reason not to park at that lodge?

I'm skiing Wed/Thurs this week, some combo of SR and Cannon. SR is holding a snowboarding event and I'm starting to think avoiding crowds will be harder than usual.

One reason is that the facilities on that end are minimal at best for day skiers and riders. Only restrooms, a souvenier shop, small waiting area for the tram, etc. No typical "lodge" atmosphere IIRC. The difference in distance between that area, and driving over to Peabody, is negligble. But I understand that you probably want to use the tram as much as you can.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
TB covers it well. Additionally, it is harder to get to the tram than it is to the Peabody lodge. There is no restaurant at the base, but don't forget there is one at the summit. The new GM probably figured food at both the top and bottom of the Tram was over kill. I agree. The Tram "lodge" is good only for first tracks, IMO. Other wise, I go Peabody Lodge.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I think Edd is asking just about parking.

It might be easier parking over there, don't know for certain. You can park there, grab the tram for first tracks, assuming you don't need anything from your bag during the day, come back there after last run.

snowmonster

If you park at the tram, be sure that you can get to the trambase after the lifts have closed, i.e, you're not at Peabody Base Lodge or the Brookside area at 4 pm. I don't think Cannon is one of those places that has a shuttle to take you from one lot to the other. Another good reason to park at trambase is to see the New England Ski Museum. Get a ski tie like trailboss!

If you decide to go to Sunday River despite the snowboard competition, you won't be able to park at Barker. White Cap may be a good option. If you don't mind booting up at the car, the parking lot at the Jordan may be even better!

deadheadskier

Staff member
One reason is that the facilities on that end are minimal at best for day skiers and riders.

That's saying something. I didn't head into the 'lodge' while there a few weeks ago, just rode the Tram. I thought the facilities Peabody side were completely inadequate for the number of skiers there. It was busy, but those lodges are tiny.

skibum9995

The old Peabody was insanely busy today, not a seat to be had when I went in to meet my brother at about 10 and also at about 12:30 when we stopped fro lunch. If you plan to buy lunch I would recommend eating at the summit, not many seats, but a lot less crowded.

SIKSKIER

If you already have a ticket you can also park up near the Zoomer lift.It's located on the road that runs out the north end of the tram parking lot.I used to boot up there and jump right on the Zoomer lift.The tram is a pain to me cuz only a few trails can be skied to the bottom and back to the tram without a long traverse.35 season passes in a row and I never ride that thing.Myself,I live in Mittersill and boot up at my house and park in one of the pods that are trailside at Brookside.Ski right from the car to the lift and back. Not too many places you can do that.Cannon will be very good Wed and Thurs this week.

Edd

The tram is a pain to me.

I hear you. I pretty much hate trams but I've never skied the trails at Cannon that end at the tram. I will be there tomorrow.

SR was pretty kick ass today. Sunny, windless, gobs of snow!

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's unfortunate that outside of the Tram you have to take two lifts to get to the summit at Cannon. While I liked the Cannonball and Zoomer pods for doing quick laps, sometimes it's nice to get in a full 2000 vert of skiing in one run Having to take two lifts to accomplish this is a bit of a pain.

I don't see how they could ever do it in one lift though without removing the Cannonball. Having the Cannonball, Tram and another lift go to the top would completely overwhelm their trail system up top. If there was a way that you could drop the Cannonball low enough to traverse over from the Zoomer such that you could link most of the top runs into the Zoomer runs and then be able to head back up to the top by only having to take those two lifts....that would be solid.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
It's unfortunate that outside of the Tram you have to take two lifts to get to the summit at Cannon. While I liked the Cannonball and Zoomer pods for doing quick laps, sometimes it's nice to get in a full 2000 vert of skiing in one run Having to take two lifts to accomplish this is a bit of a pain.
Personally, I think this fits Cannon and I like it just fine. A top to bottom lift at Cannon aside from the Tram would be all wrong. And it would cause "wildcat problems" which include a higher chance of lift holds that knock out too much terrain and the top of the mountain getting completely scraped down. Also, needing to take three lifts to get back from Mitt reduces the number of times skiers can go over there in a day helping preserve conditions (as well as they can be preserved, at least). The tram has a very low skier capacity and that works just fine for me. I like pod mountains better than top to bottom mountains, but that is just my opinion.