• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Non skier significant other

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
What do you do about it? By this time of year my wife starts to complain about me and my daughter "leaving her alone all weekend". (we have a home at Hunter and go every weekend) Any suggestions (she will NOT ski), what about good places out west for non-skiers, I already saw the ones for here in the east.

Thank You

ZYDECORICH

What do you do about it? By this time of year my wife starts to complain about me and my daughter "leaving her alone all weekend". (we have a home at Hunter and go every weekend) Any suggestions (she will NOT ski), what about good places out west for non-skiers, I already saw the ones for here in the east.

Thank You

if you have a house at hunter,why not get her some spa stuff at the kaatskill hotel at hunter. pampering while you and your daughter are on the slopes may just work. it might be a little expensive, but what the hay if that would work for her. if that doesn't work maybe you guys should try a snowmobile together, they rent them in the area. maybe she'll get really into it and show up on UNIVERSAL HD someday!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I strike a balance and typically devote one day per weekend to the lady and one to skiing with a few weekends smattered in throughout the season that are completely devoted to skiing. If our eventual kids like the sport as much as I do, all bets are off. :lol:

I'll be damned of I'm not doing something athletic at least one day every weekend. I'd kill someone if I spent my weekends being lazy around the house or shopping.

I've skied 64 days so far this season....but I'm all alone..except for the random booty call or match.com breezy..lol..so no advice to give..

I strike a balance and typically devote one day per weekend to the lady and one to skiing with a few weekends smattered in throughout the season that are completely devoted to skiing. If our eventual kids like the sport as much as I do, all bets are off. :lol:

I'll be damned of I'm not doing something athletic at least one day every weekend. I'd kill someone if I spent my weekends being lazy around the house or shopping.

Bed Bath and Beyond is over-rated!!!!...when it's not ski season, I need to play golf or go hiking or go to the beach or Philly or something..an entire weekend spent in my town can lead to depression..yes I'm living here in Allentown..

gladerider

which one in the east? have you ever taken her to Tremblant?

RichH

My wife never liked skiing, but she's taken to snowboarding.

It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing!

ERJ-145CA

If our eventual kids like the sport as much as I do, all bets are off. :lol:

You have to spend quality time with your kids.:wink: That's why my wife never complains when I take my son on a weekend. She also gets, uh got, some alone time (we now have a newborn girl). Of course she snowboards so she enjoys snowsports too, but this season with the pregnancy she didn't go out. She's not quite as obsessed as me though and by mid-march she's asking me if I'm done yet.

frozencorn

It's tough, but my wife is understanding....She can get a bit ornery when it's late April and there are chores to get done around the house and I'm still hitting the slopes, but she also knows it's my passion and she has to respect it. Next year, late season, we're hoping to get the boy on skis and I think she sees that as the sign that he and I will have that winter bond for a few months. So, she encourages getting out there even if it means more on her watch. I also save a lot of carryovers and comp days to use midweek in March and April so that she isn't on child duty every single weekend. She's the best when it comes to all this.

But again, check back in late April and I may have a different sense.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

Thank You

Seriously, what I'm doing more and more is skiing midweek and hanging around locally on the weekends. I rationalize it that I get more quality skiing in on a weekday than on two weekend days. Yes, it burns up some vacation days, but I'm around for the family on the weekends.

You'll find that anytime you can raise the family flag, it trumps all. Family flag = family day trip, going with one child, that sort of stuff.

Can you group up with another couple or family? Your wife could be the designated table mom!

Sparky

Does she have any girl friends that ski, or maybe a women’s only program. In these programs she can learn to ski from a professional in the company of other women. Some of them even have breakfast or lunch breaks. I’m kind of surprised that she doesn’t want to ski with her daughter, being with a kid is often a great motivator for non-skiers.

SKIQUATTRO

luckily my wife is about as nuts about skiing as i am (now we have our 6yr old and 3yr old brainwashed as well) Our main issue is WHERE and WHEN to go ski!!!

As I ask my single buddy who seems to always have a new girl around his arm..."does she ski??" and the ones who dont, dont last very long...this new one is a keeper as she skis...takes alot of stress out of the relationship..........

SKIQUATTRO

Alot of the women's clinics start with a yoga class in the morning, a nice breakfast, some skiing, a heathly lunch, a spa in the afternoon....that might be up her ally