• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kasmir/Gulmarg India - 16/02/2009

dmc

So, what's with the guns? Avalanche control ;) ?
How did the locals ski, skill-wise? Skis or Boards?
What's it cost?

Disputed territory... Joked that Avalanche control is done by Pakistan...

Our guide was on the Indian Olympic team - Family sold the farm to send him to Nagano..
Visa was declined by Japan at the last minute.. They lost everything.. :(
My friend is going to try and get him a job at Ski Dubai...
He was a solid skier but was lacking in AVI skillz... We taught him a bunch..

Out "tail guide" was not as good but we gave him some tips and he took to them.. He could ski anything.. But in the back seat...

Locals ski on old skis.. We left a few pairs there for them.. Also left jackets and stuff too...

$750 us for five days(lift,lodging,transfers,food)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Thanks dmc, that's insightful.
Now that begs the question, how did you have stuff to "leave behind"? Did you guys plan to do this? If not, weren't you dropping some pretty expensive stuff with them? Did you come back naked (figuratively speaking)?

dmc

Thanks dmc, that's insightful.
Now that begs the question, how did you have stuff to "leave behind"? Did you guys plan to do this? If not, weren't you dropping some pretty expensive stuff with them? Did you come back naked (figuratively speaking)?

Well... We had some extra stuff - we all make good coin...

I left a jacket, googles, over mittens, inclinometer and snowboard bindings(Actually a little broken)... We gave them to our guides.. Whom we now consider friends.. Got a text message from one of them last week...

Others (volli ski patrollers at Hunter) left skis... Good thing too.. Cause was able to fit a rug and a tabla drum bought in India in a ski bag...

Contrary to my public persona.. I'm a nice and giving person... :)

dmc

Headed back in Feb.. Anyone interested?

wa-loaf

Puck It and DMC on a trip together. Can't wait to read that trip report!

dmc

Puck It and DMC on a trip together. Can't wait to read that trip report!

Never happen... Dude would be surrounded by Muslims for a week. I handpick who goes based upon their views of the world.

dmc

Oh and it comes out to around $1500 for air and about $600 for the skiing/food/guides/lodging.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Oh and it comes out to around $1500 for air and about $600 for the skiing/food/guides/lodging.

that sounds like an awesome value. How large of a group do you need to put together to get those rates?

I actually recently read in a skiing rag that the Powder skiing in Kashmir would make an Alta pass holder jealous or something to that affect.

It would be a great experience, though I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend that much time on a plane for it.

dmc

It's a long flight.. and travel..

Once you get to Delhi - it's a couple hour flight to Kashmir and another 1 hour maybe more to the ski area.