Kasmir/Gulmarg India - 16/02/2009 - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

xcllnt!

So, what's with the guns? Avalanche control ?
    How did the locals ski, skill-wise? Skis or Boards?
    What's it cost?

Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

Quote Originally Posted by billski View Post
    So, what's with the guns? Avalanche control ?
    How did the locals ski, skill-wise? Skis or Boards?
    What's it cost?
    Disputed territory... Joked that Avalanche control is done by Pakistan...

Our guide was on the Indian Olympic team - Family sold the farm to send him to Nagano..
    Visa was declined by Japan at the last minute.. They lost everything..
    My friend is going to try and get him a job at Ski Dubai...
    He was a solid skier but was lacking in AVI skillz... We taught him a bunch..

Out "tail guide" was not as good but we gave him some tips and he took to them.. He could ski anything.. But in the back seat...

Locals ski on old skis.. We left a few pairs there for them.. Also left jackets and stuff too...

$750 us for five days(lift,lodging,transfers,food)
    "Sometimes the rock n roll life is not all rainbows & fairy dust..." - Fake Jerry

Thanks dmc, that's insightful.
    Now that begs the question, how did you have stuff to "leave behind"? Did you guys plan to do this? If not, weren't you dropping some pretty expensive stuff with them? Did you come back naked (figuratively speaking)?
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

Quote Originally Posted by billski View Post
    Thanks dmc, that's insightful.
    Now that begs the question, how did you have stuff to "leave behind"? Did you guys plan to do this? If not, weren't you dropping some pretty expensive stuff with them? Did you come back naked (figuratively speaking)?
    Well... We had some extra stuff - we all make good coin...

I left a jacket, googles, over mittens, inclinometer and snowboard bindings(Actually a little broken)... We gave them to our guides.. Whom we now consider friends.. Got a text message from one of them last week...

Others (volli ski patrollers at Hunter) left skis... Good thing too.. Cause was able to fit a rug and a tabla drum bought in India in a ski bag...

Contrary to my public persona.. I'm a nice and giving person...
    "Sometimes the rock n roll life is not all rainbows & fairy dust..." - Fake Jerry

Headed back in Feb.. Anyone interested?

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Headed back in Feb.. Anyone interested?

What would the cost break down be? Flight, lodging or lift ticket if you ski at the resort. Kinda curious.
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Puck It and DMC on a trip together. Can't wait to read that trip report!
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by wa-loaf View Post
    Puck It and DMC on a trip together. Can't wait to read that trip report!
    Never happen... Dude would be surrounded by Muslims for a week. I handpick who goes based upon their views of the world.

Oh and it comes out to around $1500 for air and about $600 for the skiing/food/guides/lodging.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Oh and it comes out to around $1500 for air and about $600 for the skiing/food/guides/lodging.

I'm in. BTW. I do not have a problem with Muslims. Just extremists and arrogant people!!!
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Thread Information