• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Speaking of goofy lifts

drjeff

that 2 place gondi at Sneaux (I guess what you call bubble) where you sat down like a regular chairlift and the gondola closed around you was da bomb...

Yup, then just grab the handle and open the door mid ride if you wanted ;) I will admit that there are definately days when I miss riding all the old lifts @ Mount Snow :sad:

sledhaulingmedic

Onset had a Bubble chair. (I think Gore did too?)

Burke's Poma takes a turn about 2/3's up

The summit T's at Cannon were made going up almost as exciting as skiing down.

I think Haystack's transfer lift was also chain drive.

Mount Sunapee use to have one lift cross over another.

Angel Fire has a long lift (10,000' +) that runs diagonally up the mountain.

drjeff

I think Haystack's transfer lift was also chain drive.

Haystack's transfer lift, atleast since the mid 80's, was an old Mueller double, the kind where the safety bar would swing around from the side instead of pull down from the top - like the single at Mad River

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Burke's Poma takes a turn about 2/3's up

Yep.

DSC03826.JPG

crank

Mont Sainte Anne has a high-speed detachable quad bubble chair. It's their night skiing lift and I think it would be a great way to stay warmish on a cold Canadian winter's eve. I liked the bubble char at Mt Snow too. Park City used to have a gondola with an angle station house where it turned. I think you could load there as well.

I used to like Sugarbush's gondola with all the funky painted up cars. Plus, if you ask me, the top of Lincoln skied a lot better before they changed theirr lift system.

I remember the old pomas at Okemo,. Copper has one that accesses the top that gives you a little thrill at teh start... nothing like the air you got at Okemo though. I don't think anyone rode that on their first try.

Geoff

Yup, then just grab the handle and open the door mid ride if you wanted ;) I will admit that there are definately days when I miss riding all the old lifts @ Mount Snow :sad:

Mount Snow had those rickety old lifts that ran on a track. Mixing Bowl on the bunny slope. Standard.

That Air Car that ran across the pond from the Snow Lake Lodge was also pretty funky.

sLoPeS

the roca jack and other "sling-shots" at Portillo are original. they really haul ass up hill. any sort of bump or mogul launches everyone up in the air. then when ur at the top, its crazy getting off cus everyone speaks a different language and no one drops in the correct order. fun times south of the equator...

kcyanks1

the roca jack and other "sling-shots" at Portillo are original. they really haul ass up hill. any sort of bump or mogul launches everyone up in the air. then when ur at the top, its crazy getting off cus everyone speaks a different language and no one drops in the correct order. fun times south of the equator...

Yeah, those lifts are quite crazy and a challenge to hold on to.

icedtea

Steamboat used to have a bubble chair, they still might have not been there in probably about 8 years.

Glenn

There's bubble Chairdola hanging right in front of TC's restaurant. Lots of snow on it now...but it's there.