• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon 26Feb09

Edd

Date(s) Skied: 26Feb09

Resort or Ski Area: Cannon

Conditions: All over the place

I pulled in the lot 30 min before the lifts opened and there were more people than I expected that early, including a school bus (never a good sight). It was crowded for a weekday due to vacation week, but I've seen much worse. I was unaware of it but it was going to be a very interesting day.

I got on the slopes and visibility was poor on the lower slopes and really quite bad on the upper. Surface conditions varied from loose windblown powder from recent dumps to glare ice. I lapped the Peabody and summit lift a couple of times and then found a ton of powder on the trails around the Zoomer triple. The snow tapers off. Visibility on the lower slopes improved off/on. There were signs at the lifts saying stay away from the tram until after 10am. I headed over to the tram lodge maybe at 11, sat in the lodge and had a snack, staring out the window at the tram line and the Kinsman Glade.

This guy comes in and gears up. We start chatting about places we've skied; he's a Cannon regular. I tell him I'm gonna try the Kinsman Glade because I've never skied it. He asks to tag along. I'll call him the Guide.

We load on the tram and I run into a dude I shared a chair with earlier. We had discussed how we have the exact same skis (Legend 8000). He tells us he just skied Kinsman and offers to tag along also. We get off the tram and visibility is scary bad. The trees sound safer.

Skiing down Vista Way there's sweet powdery bumps. Problem is you couldn't see them. I do a couple of unintentional airs and eat it hard. Smooth move dipshit. I got up quick and Same Skis Guy leads us into the Kinsman.

Same Skis is a freakin great skier. Comparing notes earlier on the chairlift, we discovered I ski like 10x more than he does. So much for that. This trail starts N-A-R-R-O-W, with trees, and it's steep. I ski glades regularly. I'm no rock star but I'm typically competent. This trail owned me fully. To my surprise, Same Skis shoots off trail, and down he goes. The Guide and I yell asking if he's ok. He says yes but he's 20ft away behind foliage and we can't see him. Turns out he's up to his chest in snow. He embarks on a 10 minute struggle to get back on trail. I've never seen that happen to someone on the east coast.
We press on. Throughout the run our skis take regular stump/rock strikes. Mine alone took over 20, like a seasons worth. Someone without solid bump skills is sort of screwed on this trail. Some sections have no room for wide turns. We run into another guy who seems in rough shape and the Guide asks him if he's skiing alone. He says "Yeah, like an idiot." He comes with us. I continue skiing like a chopper; a couple falls but nothing bad, and we reach the tram base. It was easily the toughest glade I've skied. I need a bump lesson and that's final.

Same Skis is done for now. The Guide and I go back up the tram and take a run on Upper Cannon. He keeps dropping hints about skiing Mittersill. At this point it's past beer-thirty for me but I don't get chances to ski through a little BC with someone who knows what they are doing every day so I agree. Unbelievably, the sun comes out. Another ride to the summit, ski Taft and start hiking up.

We start on a narrow bumpy trail with a mild pitch and good snow. Fun as hell. He shows me the entrance to the Tucker Brook trail. Some folks are about to enter. The solo "idiot" guy from Kinsman shows up behind us interested in doing Tucker Brook. Those folks tell him they have a car parked and are glad to give him a ride so he goes with them. That was cool.

We keep skiing and check out the old Mittersill top lift station. It's hot and sunny and the snow is slushing up. We press on down through more bumps and run into a pretty cute chick on snowshoes, wearing jeans with no equipment at all. She tells the Guide she's a reporter from the Monitor doing a story on the possible re-opening of the Mittersill area. She's got a pen and paper. This is turning into the weirdest frickin ski day I've had in awhile....

I welcome the break but her questions go on a bit long for me. I wanted to take her picture because I've never run into a reporter wearing snowshoes while skiing BC but I didn't want to creep her out. She continues her hike up and the Guide takes me to Candyland, an area which was a mix of wide and narrow steep and shallow terrain with glades mixed in. Super deep slushy snow. If that snow was on piste I would have hauled ass but I was timid about what was around every bend so I started chopping again. Just before emerging into Cannon proper we meet a guy on tele skis heading up with an old dog. He plans to camp for the night up on Mittersill. His pack sure looked light but what do I know?

From the beginner area we take 3 lift rides to the summit and ski Upper Ravine. It's about 2:30 and I decide I should quit while I'm ahead. I say so long and head back to Peabody. Conditions have turned really sweet with soft snow everywhere. Taking off my skis I find bark wedged into the now dented caps on the tips of my skis. Good lord, what a humbling day.

There are a few pictures. I'd like to embed them in the thread but I haven't figured out how. I'll work on that tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
slush already?
sounds like the weather is bringing out all sorts of stuff from the closets. Did the reporter take your pic? Well, it keeps things interesting. also sounds like one of the better Cannon days in a while. Look forward to the pics.

mikestaple

Just a odd and strange day of skiing. It wasn't an epic trip as say - Dubai and Kashmir - which is totally cool on a whole different level. But just a collection of very cool runs, odd ski mountain characters, and a decent story - all without pictures.

Or maybe it's the old Michelob light I'm sucking down.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Hey, don't argue with the man!
No argument Edd, just an honest question from up north. There have been many excellent TR's over the years, and I missed why he thought it was tops. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so it's always worth learning why others appreciate what I cannot (I don't appreciate Picasso for sure!) For me, TR's are about something else, but that takes us in another direction.

BLESS

for some reason I never read the tr's without pics. yet, I found myself readin this one and liking it. good job.

powers

I think I passed you guys...

I was there with my wife and a friend on tele skis and I think I saw you getting grilled by the reporter. Sounds like you got some of the goods. You didn't miss anything on Tuckerbrook. While it was totally filled in and untracked for the day, it had about an inch of high humidity fresh snow that felt like sand paper! We had to straight line everything just to keep going. Kinsman glade is a perfect example of people that don't know anything about cutting glades, cutting glades. I dropped in last week on it after not skiing it for a few years and it sucks as bad now as it did then. The saving grace is staying left and catching the stream bed early.
Anyways it looks like your finding your way around just fine. Maybe I'll run into up there some day.

Edd

Kinsman uphill

SR_Cannon_25_26Feb09_015.JPG
[/IMG]

Crap, this didn't work.

Cool! This is Kinsman looking uphill.

SR_Cannon_25_26Feb09_015.JPG

Edd

Kinsman downhill

SR_Cannon_25_26Feb09_013.JPG

Viewing Cannon from Mittersill

SR_Cannon_25_26Feb09_016.JPG

Narrow Mittersill trail I'm about to head down

SR_Cannon_25_26Feb09_017.JPG

Edd

From the Mittersill lift station

SR_Cannon_25_26Feb09_019.JPG

This guy parked right next to me. I just thought it was funny he chose to go skiing instead of getting a new window.

SR_Cannon_25_26Feb09_020.JPG

Edd

This reply is just to post that camera icon. That is all.

Oof, that didn't work the way I wanted.

awf170

Kinsman glade is a perfect example of people that don't know anything about cutting glades, cutting glades. I dropped in last week on it after not skiing it for a few years and it sucks as bad now as it did then.

Why? Besides needing to be cleaned up some I think it is a very nice glade. It was actually my run of the day yesterday.

This trail starts N-A-R-R-O-W, with trees, and it's steep. I ski glades regularly. I'm no rock star but I'm typically competent. This trail owned me fully. To my surprise, Same Skis shoots off trail, and down he goes. The Guide and I yell asking if he's ok. He says yes but he's 20ft away behind foliage and we can't see him. Turns out he's up to his chest in snow. He embarks on a 10 minute struggle to get back on trail. I've never seen that happen to someone on the east coast.
We press on. Throughout the run our skis take regular stump/rock strikes. Mine alone took over 20, like a seasons worth. Someone without solid bump skills is sort of screwed on this trail. Some sections have no room for wide turns. We run into another guy who seems in rough shape and the Guide asks him if he's skiing alone. He says "Yeah, like an idiot." He comes with us. I continue skiing like a chopper; a couple falls but nothing bad, and we reach the tram base. It was easily the toughest glade I've skied. I need a bump lesson and that's final.

This shows how low my standards for coverage are. I thought the coverage in Kinsman was great yesterday. Most of the stuff I ski has worse coverage then that. Now Tramline on the other hand had thin coverage. It was still wicked fun though I wish my legs weren't so tired by the time I did it.

BTW, nice TR. It was the first one I read all the way through in like forever.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
This reply is just to post that camera icon. That is all.
Oof, that didn't work the way I wanted.

I fixed it for you. For future reference, go back to the first message in the post, edit it, click "go advanced" and then pick the camera icon there.

I've gotta find someone to guide me over on the Mittersill side next time I'm at Cannon post-dump. Sweet pics!