• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The curse of Ramen Pride

2knees

so my wife is making some funky ass salad for a baby shower tomorrow. recipe calls for a bunch of weird things including 2 packages of Ramen pride oriental noodles. sends me to the grocery store last night to buy them.

I havent so much as laid eyes on this stuff since college. you know, the 3:00 a.m. hot pot concoction that you burp and puke up the next day? I swear i had bouts of nasuea just looking at them in the grocery store. I dont think there is anyway in hell i could ever eat that stuff again without vomiting immediately.

wa-loaf

I've never puked up Ramen. They make a good salty snack if you need one. I don't know about putting it in a salad. That's kinda wack.

drjeff

so my wife is making some funky ass salad for a baby shower tomorrow. recipe calls for a bunch of weird things including 2 packages of Ramen pride oriental noodles. sends me to the grocery store last night to buy them.

I havent so much as laid eyes on this stuff since college. you know, the 3:00 a.m. hot pot concoction that you burp and puke up the next day? I swear i had bouts of nasuea just looking at them in the grocery store. I dont think there is anyway in hell i could ever eat that stuff again without vomiting immediately.

Atleast she didn't ask you to get some Spam to go with the Ramen infused salad!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
No, I totally get that. I had a room mate in college who used to eat it raw. At first I was pretty shocked the first time he did that, but after a few dozen beers, it's actually not bad.

The seaweed he used to eat after drinking was another thing...:puke:

Geoff

In an Asian cole slaw, you can substitute crumbled up ramen noodles for chow mein noodles. Works just fine.

2knees

I don't know about putting it in a salad. That's kinda wack.

i have no idea what she is making but i'm not eating it. The other things i had to purchase for this so called salad were Broccoli Slaw (wtf is that???), Shaved Almonds, Roasted Sunflowers and 1 bunch of Scallions.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Haven't touched the stuff since living in Colorado the summer between my Junior and Senior years of high school when I was so broke I lived off the stuff and getting hammered on Everclear and Koolaide.

Geoff

i have no idea what she is making but i'm not eating it. The other things i had to purchase for this so called salad were Broccoli Slaw (wtf is that???), Shaved Almonds, Roasted Sunflowers and 1 bunch of Scallions.

That sounds like an asian cole slaw recipe.

Broccoli slaw is just broccoli stalks chopped up in a food processor.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Atleast she didn't ask you to get some Spam to go with the Ramen infused salad!
There was a time in my life, when I didn't know any better, that I loved Spam. My father would grill that up and make a sandwich on toast...YUM. Then one day, I noticed the gelatinous goo in the can. I haven't touched the stuff since. :puke:

That sounds like an asian cole slaw recipe.

Broccoli slaw is just broccoli stalks chopped up in a food processor.
+1 I'm guess it might be lower fat to use the Ramen noodles over the chow mein noodles, but I could be wrong. Broccoli slaw isn't bad. I won't eat cole slaw, however.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Good stuff for backpacking. Light as a feather. Easy to boil up as soup or just seasoned noodles. Throw in some hard cheese, or maybe one of those foil packs of tuna, and it's a fine meal.

Just don't ever make me eat the stuff if I'm *not* on the trail. :D

Geoff

There was a time in my life, when I didn't know any better, that I loved Spam. My father would grill that up and make a sandwich on toast...YUM. Then one day, I noticed the gelatinous goo in the can. I haven't touched the stuff since. :puke:

+1 I'm guess it might be lower fat to use the Ramen noodles over the chow mein noodles, but I could be wrong. Broccoli slaw isn't bad. I won't eat cole slaw, however.

I don't care for regular cole slaw but the asian stuff is pretty good. I've made it a few times this winter. Half a head of cabbage in the food processor. Fresh ginger in the food processor. Shredded carrot. Some chopped up broccoli where you toss the remnant stalks in the food processor. Peanuts. Whole almonds. Toasted sesame seeds. Sliced water chestnuts. The offending crumbled ramen noodles. The dressing is rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, mirin, and a little vegetable oil. I'd toss some in a zip lock bag and bring it up to the hill for lunch.

Spam and other flavors of canned pressed ham are just fine as emergency food.

madman

Like you when my wife first made this concoction I thought GAG! But it is real good- kinda sweet ,little sour, let it sit overnite its even BETTER!

ctenidae

Good stuff for backpacking. Light as a feather. Easy to boil up as soup or just seasoned noodles. Throw in some hard cheese, or maybe one of those foil packs of tuna, and it's a fine meal.

Just don't ever make me eat the stuff if I'm *not* on the trail. :D

It is amazing the things we eat on the trail.

skibum9995

I love both Ramen and Spam. I estimate that I ate about 250 packets of Ramen while on the AT. If you cook some Spam on a fire and put it on a tortilla its amazing, although I don't recommend eating 5 packets for one meal. I spent a lot of time in the privy that night.