• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Not another run-in with ski patrol...Blue 3/8...hero snow..empty

2knees

the only reason i chimed in at all is that there are definately two sides to the specific chain of events in this thread and as far as i'm concerned gss and ajeff deserve what ever they got coming to them for their actions on the mountain. i don't consider people that act the way they did to a patroller friend in front of my kids "buddies"...

unless i missed something, GSS didnt fill us in on this part. care to elaborate?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
naahh, on any given day i'd totally agree that some of the ski patrol at blue are outta hand with the keystone kopppers routine regarding slow skiing trails. like any other area most BMSP are good guys with a few exceptions that are multiplied by the whole truTV crap - brings out the worst in people.

the only reason i chimed in at all is that there are definately two sides to the specific chain of events in this thread and as far as i'm concerned gss and ajeff deserve what ever they got coming to them for their actions on the mountain. i don't consider people that act the way they did to a patroller friend in front of my kids "buddies"... done - no flame war here. root sorta got caught in the crossfire - sorry, hope to get some more runs with ya man

:beer: We'll see what happens... if it doesn't work out, there's always biking season trying to creep it's way in

edit: you still owe me a beer

Last edited:

Madroch

Seems like a very weird culture at Blue.. perused the picture tour in another thread and the place has tons of signage basically identifying easy ways down and slow zones, they appear to either have chosen their clientele/culture (as nurturing to the novices) or realize that speed control is the cost of doing business at what appears to be a quite crowded mountain. The fact that speed control may be subject to discretionary, and possibly over-zealous or even ludicrous, enforcement (on black diamonds even), is not a surprise. In any event, any energy devoted to fighting City Hall would appear better expended at management, not the SP. Arguing with a SP seems like a waste of time and energy, and probably only exacerbates the situation. Take it to management-- you are a patron, you want to ski there, they want your money (unless you are arguing with patrollers)-- work that angle. They will either change the SP culture (because they want to and care about your money) or they won't (because they truly do want to control speed everywhere- including double diamonds). If the latter is the case-- despite the lack of signage on those trails-- find a new mountain if you like to ski fast. Bottom line-- their mountain, thier business interests to protect, thier freedom to act in any manner they see fit... if they permit unreasonable SP action, they will fix it or suffer (maybe not, if 90% of their business is novices/intermediates ...which might explain the policy to begin with).

Also, if that SP is dealing with patrons who routinely argue or simply ignore them and ski away, their task is not a fun one, overzealous or not. Generation gap here-- but anyone who skis away or barks at a patroller should have lift privileges lifted-- it is private property--better to politely face the music and take it up later with management, than to run away or argue and give them legitimate casue to ban you.

My .02 cents, probly worth less.

gmcunni

just a thought, could GSS really be so out of control that he actually deserves the attention he's getting from BMSP?

Madroch

If he was really doing 60-- he better be... a simple cross of a tip brings an instant trip into the woods or a tower gun--sayanora amigo.

Madroch

I got all wrapped up in the subsequent posts and forgot that fact... there is the additional line of thought that they have every right to prohibit unduly dangerous behavior, which doing 60 might easily qualify for, regardless of your skill level... while a little overprotective, it is a PITA to cart someone away by lifestar...and does not set a great vibe for the other paying customers...

mondeo

If he was really doing 60-- he better be... a simple cross of a tip brings an instant trip into the woods or a tower gun--sayanora amigo.

I doubt he was doing 60, especially in soft snow. I've straightlined Gunbarrel and probably didn't break 40.

danny p

the same can be said about many skiing activities (bumps, terrain park, glades)....should SP ban all those?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
AtomicSkier via PASR said:
Doug talked for 45 minutes with Dennis Krell. We're meeting with him and the head of patrol this weekend. Apparently Dennis was appalled to hear how we're being treated.

Doug's pass did work
smile.gif
http://www.paskiandride.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=13678&view=findpost&p=230351

Seems promising

Madroch

the same can be said about many skiing activities (bumps, terrain park, glades)....should SP ban all those?

Its not a question of "should" from my end, but do they have legitimate right to do so if they so please... absolutely yes. Back in my youth, SP flattened or bambooed every little bump to keep air to a minimum. Times have changed, and the levels of risk deemed acceptable have grown dramatically. Not sure how with liability factors, but they have. Still, bouondries must be drawn, 60 mph would not appear to be an unreasonable one from my end.

Madroch

And to follow up-- doing 60 increases the risk to others exponentially more than skiing glades, and probably a good bit more than skiing the parks and bumps. One thing to be a danger to yourself, another to be a danger to others.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com

60+ mph is actually rather hard to achieve without an aerodynamic tuck and low drag clothing. I know what 60 feels like (radar speed trap race) and I know that I don't often hit those speeds unless conditions are perfect for it. Note: I like to ski fast.

Unless GSS is virtually straight lining these trails, I highly doubt he is actually hitting 60+ mph.

In my estimation my typical "fast carving" is likely closer to 40-45 mph.

On a low pitch Green trail getting over 30 mph is hard.

vcunning

I doubt he was doing 60, especially in soft snow. I've straightlined Gunbarrel and probably didn't break 40.

Maybe it's KPH? Those folks in PA are pretty worldly!:smile: (ok, I was born and raised there)

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Its not a question of "should" from my end, but do they have legitimate right to do so if they so please... absolutely yes. Back in my youth, SP flattened or bambooed every little bump to keep air to a minimum. Times have changed, and the levels of risk deemed acceptable have grown dramatically. Not sure how with liability factors, but they have. Still, bouondries must be drawn, 60 mph would not appear to be an unreasonable one from my end.

Ski/binding/boot technology has also come a long way allowing catching air and higher speeds to be safer (edit: assuming you know how to keep under control).
That said, slowing down from 60 mph takes a lot of room no matter what you are wearing on your feet.

mondeo

In my estimation my typical "fast carving" is likely closer to 40-45 mph.
Based on my completely scientific comparison of wind noise when I'm going fast on skis and on a bike, I was figuring 40 mph is around the speed I top out at. There's a possibility I've hit 50 once or twice, but I kinda doubt it.

Baggy ski clothing is draggy as hell. Definitely feel the aerodynamic drag more on skis than a bike.