Not another run-in with ski patrol...Blue 3/8...hero snow..empty - Page 9

AlpineZone

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgonzola View Post
    the only reason i chimed in at all is that there are definately two sides to the specific chain of events in this thread and as far as i'm concerned gss and ajeff deserve what ever they got coming to them for their actions on the mountain. i don't consider people that act the way they did to a patroller friend in front of my kids "buddies"...
    unless i missed something, GSS didnt fill us in on this part. care to elaborate?

no i'll leave that up to them
    "that feeling: hovering in a weightless space with honey on the tip of your tongue and pure red blood gorging your heart, soaring on a current of angelic music cutting clear mountain air." -norman ollestad, crazy for the storm

Quote Originally Posted by gorgonzola View Post
    naahh, on any given day i'd totally agree that some of the ski patrol at blue are outta hand with the keystone kopppers routine regarding slow skiing trails. like any other area most BMSP are good guys with a few exceptions that are multiplied by the whole truTV crap - brings out the worst in people.

the only reason i chimed in at all is that there are definately two sides to the specific chain of events in this thread and as far as i'm concerned gss and ajeff deserve what ever they got coming to them for their actions on the mountain. i don't consider people that act the way they did to a patroller friend in front of my kids "buddies"... done - no flame war here. root sorta got caught in the crossfire - sorry, hope to get some more runs with ya man
    We'll see what happens... if it doesn't work out, there's always biking season trying to creep it's way in

edit: you still owe me a beer
    Last edited by RootDKJ; Mar 9, 2009 at 3:55 PM. Reason: he still owes me a beer

Seems like a very weird culture at Blue.. perused the picture tour in another thread and the place has tons of signage basically identifying easy ways down and slow zones, they appear to either have chosen their clientele/culture (as nurturing to the novices) or realize that speed control is the cost of doing business at what appears to be a quite crowded mountain. The fact that speed control may be subject to discretionary, and possibly over-zealous or even ludicrous, enforcement (on black diamonds even), is not a surprise. In any event, any energy devoted to fighting City Hall would appear better expended at management, not the SP. Arguing with a SP seems like a waste of time and energy, and probably only exacerbates the situation. Take it to management-- you are a patron, you want to ski there, they want your money (unless you are arguing with patrollers)-- work that angle. They will either change the SP culture (because they want to and care about your money) or they won't (because they truly do want to control speed everywhere- including double diamonds). If the latter is the case-- despite the lack of signage on those trails-- find a new mountain if you like to ski fast. Bottom line-- their mountain, thier business interests to protect, thier freedom to act in any manner they see fit... if they permit unreasonable SP action, they will fix it or suffer (maybe not, if 90% of their business is novices/intermediates ...which might explain the policy to begin with).

Also, if that SP is dealing with patrons who routinely argue or simply ignore them and ski away, their task is not a fun one, overzealous or not. Generation gap here-- but anyone who skis away or barks at a patroller should have lift privileges lifted-- it is private property--better to politely face the music and take it up later with management, than to run away or argue and give them legitimate casue to ban you.

My .02 cents, probly worth less.

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
    edit: you still owe me a beer
    absolutley! and why? i'm glad you weren't a little kid in a wedge, nufff said......

oh and madroch you and your dos pesos pretty much nailed it....
    Last edited by gorgonzola; Mar 9, 2009 at 4:10 PM.
    "that feeling: hovering in a weightless space with honey on the tip of your tongue and pure red blood gorging your heart, soaring on a current of angelic music cutting clear mountain air." -norman ollestad, crazy for the storm

just a thought, could GSS really be so out of control that he actually deserves the attention he's getting from BMSP?
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2018/19
    Breck - 12/2 12/22 12/23 1/5 1/6 2/9 3/10
    Taos - 1/26
    Keystone - 2/24
    Crested Butte - 3/25 3/26 3/27

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    just a thought, could GSS really be so out of control that he actually deserves the attention he's getting from BMSP?
    GSS is a pretty darn good skier. On blacks and blues, I have a hard time keeping up with him.

If he was really doing 60-- he better be... a simple cross of a tip brings an instant trip into the woods or a tower gun--sayanora amigo.

Quote Originally Posted by Madroch View Post
    If he was really doing 60-- he better be... a simple cross of a tip brings an instant trip into the woods or a tower gun--sayanora amigo.
    apparently that is what SP was trying to tell him . . .
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2018/19
    Breck - 12/2 12/22 12/23 1/5 1/6 2/9 3/10
    Taos - 1/26
    Keystone - 2/24
    Crested Butte - 3/25 3/26 3/27

I got all wrapped up in the subsequent posts and forgot that fact... there is the additional line of thought that they have every right to prohibit unduly dangerous behavior, which doing 60 might easily qualify for, regardless of your skill level... while a little overprotective, it is a PITA to cart someone away by lifestar...and does not set a great vibe for the other paying customers...

Thread Information