• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is Stratton (or Hunter) worth it this Saturday?

abc

I still haven't used the "free" ticket I won on my cell phone.

It's not exactly "free" for me since I'm far enough away to requier spending a night nearby. So given the current weather pattern. What do people think the condition at Stratton will be like? Re-frozen slush or soft bumps? (I realize Stratton doesn't have many bump runs, but you know what i mean...)

Or would Hunter be better for this weekend? Further south & probably warmer (also have a pre-paid ticket I need to use)

Have to work/travel the next few weekends. So the season is running away for me...

jrmagic

Saturday is supposed to get up in the 40s in SoVT so Stratton should be skiing nicely. Figure the groomers in the morning and woods andwhatever bumps they may have in the afternoon should do you right.

tekweezle

i bet Stratton will be in excellent overall shape no matter what the weather throws at them. they do a good job of giving you a presentable "product". it could suck and then again, it could be great.

as for seeking out bumps, they are going to happen later in the day no matter what. if they are open, check out the trails on the extreme left and right of the mountain(kidderbrook area and snowbowl areas)-as these areas are less frequented than the main face and usually left to it;s own devices.. avoid the trails on the front face gondola and the 6 person chairs if they are overly crowded or scraped off.

don;t go too low into the sunbowl area-it;s flat(deadly for snowboarders) and I bet if the weather is warm, it would be a big slush puddle.

dmc

Hunter's going to sukc this weekend...

Sunny in the 40s on Sat... Too many moguls... Early corn...

ts01

Pls don't take this as Stratton boosting but IMHO spring conditions improve (and slush decreases) with altitude, and Stratton is about 600 feet higher at the peak. I'd happily ski either but if you're really freaked about the conditions altitude is your friend.

tekweezle

you are going to get slush no matter where you go this weekend. embrace it. get the crud busting wide waist skis out and wax them up.

even at stratton, you might get packed powder at the very top but that will be about half a trail.

dmc

Early corn actually sounds sweet, bump or no bump.

Would 40's make it way too slushy though?

Follow the shadows...

Start early... Get the sun baked exposures... Look for things recently exposed...

dmc

Pls don't take this as Stratton boosting but IMHO spring conditions improve (and slush decreases) with altitude, and Stratton is about 600 feet higher at the peak. I'd happily ski either but if you're really freaked about the conditions altitude is your friend.

Maybe so - maybe not...

dmc

Is DMC trying to keep people from Hunter again? Thats fine as I need to get as many runs in this weekend as possible. My son has races next weekend at Gore and races at Hunter the last weekend of the month (I be spreading salt!)

:)

for some people... spring conditions suck...