• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Auction: 173 cm K2 Cabrawler mogul skis w/ Look PX12s

Greg

Staff member
Thanks for keeping my ad at the top guys! ;)

jack97

Part of me wishes they'd do competitions without the standard airs like most of the amateur ones in the 80's were like. The first couple bumps and bamboo comps at Okemo didn't have airs and you just had to take air wherever you could. As impressive as the arrials are that the competitors do today, I'm always equally as impressed by some one who goes big just right in the the middle of the field and lands without missing a beat.

This may make me a outcast but there are times I think Mosely did more harm to the sport. Pushing the envelop in the air, he had the best stuff but that made the rest of the pack focus on that also. That put less emphasis in the turns, even PA Rousseau was saying that the mogul courses are easy.

deadheadskier

Staff member
This may make me a outcast but there are times I think Mosely did more harm to the sport. Pushing the envelop in the air, he had the best stuff but that made the rest of the pack focus on that also. That put less emphasis in the turns, even PA Rousseau was saying that the mogul courses are easy.

If there was more variety in the airs, I'd say he was great for the sport. It just seems to me that everyone does an iron cross back at the top and a corked flip (not sure what it's called) at the bottom.

I wouldn't mind seeing a daffy, twister, spread from time to time or a big back scratcher to cosack.

There's an idea, make one of the jumps aerial free.

Greg

Staff member
I wouldn't mind seeing a daffy, twister, spread from time to time or a big back scratcher to cosack.

As impressive as today's aeriels are, I still say the triple and quad twisters rule it. Moseley at 0:46:

Following up with the dinner roll was rad though. Notice the "No More Twisters" sign and chant. Ha! :lol:

mondeo

I don't know that I'd call the increased focus on airs harming the sport in itself. I think the real harm Moseley did was open the eyes of people to what skiers were capable of in the air. The migration of skiers to the park started between the 1998 and 2002 Olympics, and part of that was Moseley. Plus, he was really the first big name to jump ship from bumps to big air/slopestyle.

One of the interesting things is everyone crying foul over his 4th place finish at Salt Lake. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find video of Mayer's run (or Janne's or Gay's,) but I know Moseley was slower, and his turns weren't all that clean. Fantastic skier for sure, but sort of caught in the transition between deflection turns and the current A&E heavy carved turns.

jack97

If there was more variety in the airs, I'd say he was great for the sport. It just seems to me that everyone does an iron cross back at the top and a corked flip (not sure what it's called) at the bottom.

The dinner roll eventually pushed the sport into allowing more variety and then inverts. Previous to this the standard air was the daffy, twister and kossacks. If you see some of the old footage of Janne Lahtela freestyle champ during Mosely's era, he had some of the highest verticals. Right now that's consider second rate, even the kids in Sunapees freestyle team are nailing the inverts.

mondeo

The dinner roll eventually pushed the sport into allowing more variety and then inverts. Previous to this the standard air was the daffy, twister and kossacks. If you see some of the old footage of Janne Lahtela freestyle champ during Mosely's era, he had some of the highest verticals. Right now that's consider second rate, even the kids in Sunapees freestyle team are nailing the inverts.
I think it was Cabral that hit a Quint Twister. Nasty.

jack97

I don't know that I'd call the increased focus on airs harming the sport in itself.

Some have said that the moguls courses are getting to easy and its getting harder to discriminate between good technical skiers and excellent technical skiers b/c the courses are dumbed down.

One of the interesting things is everyone crying foul over his 4th place finish at Salt Lake. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find video of Mayer's run (or Janne's or Gay's,) but I know Moseley was slower, and his turns weren't all that clean. Fantastic skier for sure, but sort of caught in the transition between deflection turns and the current A&E heavy carved turns.

There's footage of those runs... some say Mayer should have gotten the gold. To be fair, the points given for the air do go thru a standard formula, the dinner roll was never broken down in terms of deg of difficulty, deductions and so on.

gmcunni

There's footage of those runs... some say Mayer should have gotten the gold. To be fair, the points given for the air do go thru a standard formula, the dinner roll was never broken down in terms of deg of difficulty, deductions and so on.

sorry, don't follow this sport as closely as you guys, are you saying he lost points for doing the dinner role?

Greg

Staff member
sorry, don't follow this sport as closely as you guys, are you saying he lost points for doing the dinner role?

This is a great video that explains it all:

jack97

not losing points, but not knowing how to score or rate it. During that time, inverts were not allowed and the dinner role was unique in that it was not an invert but damn close to it.

Presently, the FIS judges handbook has guidelines on the point system for each aerial.

deadheadskier

Staff member
This is a great video that explains it all:

kind of interesting. He talks about how stagnant things were and he was just trying to push things and do something different.

Now I watch things and it seems everything has gotten monotonous again with everyone doing the same tricks.

Maybe it would be more interesting if they had a few different formats. An 'old school' with no built jumps, an oldish school with no aerials and a new school with aerials. I'd imagine the competitors would be against it though.

jack97

kind of interesting. He talks about how stagnant things were and he was just trying to push things and do something different.

Now I watch things and it seems everything has gotten monotonous again with everyone doing the same tricks.

That's what I mean, the push has been toward more invert tricks. Less of it is toward technical skiing. The person preserving the turns has been Dale Begg Smith, the guy is awesome but he has been tailing off... maybe due to age or drive.

deadheadskier

Staff member
what's the book say for a NO-SSACK

what really needs to happen is one of you sundown rippers need to man up and throw the 'Temptor Quad'......2 O'clock Twister > No Sacks > Dumper Air > Pole Daffy

the FIS degree of difficulty on that one would have to be at least triple the dinner roll

Greg

Staff member
what really needs to happen is one of you sundown rippers need to man up and throw the 'Temptor Quad'......2 O'clock Twister > No Sacks > Dumper Air > Pole Daffy

That's almost impossible. And anything less than finishing off the quad with a dumper air is just lame.