• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What do you do with your poles when you get on the chair?

dbking

My buddy dropped his poles yesterday while fumbling around with his gloves or something. He said that he hates to sit on them. I guess he would rather ski without them for a run. I'm used to sitting on mine and I haven't dropped them in years. And if you sit on them, do you go under the leg or crack of your ass? Does the way you sit on your poles say something about you?

Glenn

Under my leg...and I make sure I'm sitting on the ski pole, not the grip.

bvibert

Staff member
I sit on mine 95% of the time. Sometimes I don't if it's a fully loaded chair. To be honest I'm not sure where exactly they are under me since I don't even notice that they're there. I guess they go under a cheek.

gmcunni

i sit on mine. i wait until i'm seated on the chair and then i lift a leg and stick the poles (handles first) under my leg at a slight angle. I don't like the pole up my crack LOL

Geoff

I hold both poles by the shaft just below the grip in one hand. I don't recall ever dropping a pole. My gloves & mittens are all tethered to my glove liners. I have no issues operating one handed. I routinely do things like open a beer, make a cell phone call (hands-free voice dialing is a wonderful feature), fiddle with my iPod, pull out my Motorola Talkabout, de-ice my goggles.... When I'm skiing with my day pack, my left hand is looped through the pack strap and then grips my ski poles so I still have my other hand free. What's the big deal?

I've seen lots of people drop their poles fishing them out in a panic at the last second when they're sitting on them. I think it's really annoying when they end up in the net and the lift stops for several minutes while the lift op tries to fish it out. Killington has some "do not sit on your ski poles" signs at the bottom of a few of the lifts. From what I've seen over the years, it's a reasonable request.

sLoPeS

99.9% of the time i sit on them. why would u want to hold poles? when i am about to sit down they are already between my legs and pointed in the correct direction. cant stand it when someone points them the wrong way when the chair has foot rests and the poles end up hitting it.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I just started sitting on them halfway through this season. It's a lot more comfortable, especially on cold days, so you don't have to hold onto cold metal.

My wife snapped her poles in half at a mid-station this year. When she gets her new poles, I wonder if she'll start sitting on them as well?

wa-loaf

I just hold them. I used to sit on them, but it's too much of a hassle for me. I've never dropped anything either.

I think the skiers at Okemo are especially uncoordinated. I counted 10 gloves on the way up the Northstar Express.

Greg

Staff member
99.9% of the time i sit on them. why would u want to hold poles? when i am about to sit down they are already between my legs and pointed in the correct direction.

+1

jaywbigred

I almost always hold them by the plastic/rubber grip. On cold days, the metal is much colder than the plastic/rubber handles/grips, by which I've been gripping them for the entire run prior. To me, it doesn't make sense to bring the cold metal into contact with any part of your body (hands or ass) if you don't have to. If I need to use my hands, I let them dangle (I always use my wrist straps) in between my legs (ha!).

Once in awhile, if I have to do something complicated with my hands, I will sit on them. But this only serves to remind me that doing so is in not very comfortable. I think its kind of like having a big Costanza wallet in one pocket. You think its comfortable because you're so used to it that you don't notice it. But if you give it up for awhile, and then try to go back to it, you will realize its not really comfortable to sit on something like that at all. Imo. It can be utilitarian though, I guess.

WoodCore

If your riding the Outpost chair at Pico you can hang them from the provided hooks.

drjeff

Mine just hang off my wrists via the straps 98% of the time, the other 2% they're under my leg