• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Congrats SherpaK!

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Today, on the summit of Sandwich Dome, under a clear blue sky with wind chills approaching zero, a cast of many paid witness as SherpaKroto tagged his 100th summit of the New England Hundred Highest.

We popped bubbly, shared a wonderful cake (thanks for hiking that up!), and squeezed in some photos between wind gusts (I don't have any, we'll have to rely on others' cameras). A good time was had by all on a great hiking day, and huge congratulations to SherpaK on his achievement!
:beer:

Greg

Staff member
Congratulations SherpaKroto! Nice job. I'll be lucky just to tag all 48 NH's 4K's some day.

Mike P.

I don't think Sherpa post here but he is a regular contributor on the AMC's boards if you want an anwer to your question on how long it took.

He has hiked for decades but for much of that time did his favorites. he grew up in Berlin, NH but lives in Mass now. I've hiked with him a few times, in fact the joke seems to be he has hiked with or will hike with everyone on the AMC & VFTT board. He'll hike with anyone.

Greg, maybe you can run a hike with Sherpa K contest, better hurry though or everyone will have done it already.

Greg

Staff member
Mike P. said:
I don't think Sherpa post here but he is a regular contributor on the AMC's boards if you want an anwer to your question on how long it took.

He has hiked for decades but for much of that time did his favorites. he grew up in Berlin, NH but lives in Mass now. I've hiked with him a few times, in fact the joke seems to be he has hiked with or will hike with everyone on the AMC & VFTT board. He'll hike with anyone.

Greg, maybe you can run a hike with Sherpa K contest, better hurry though or everyone will have done it already.
Ha.

He does post here from time to time Just not in a while:

SherpaKroto's Profile

Send him on over! We'll hike with him too... ;)

Mike P.

Mea Culpa...

Silent Cal, in that case, use the fuction available & drop him an Email (in fact I sent him one a few minutes ago.) I'll be surprised if he does not answer it. He is one of the friendliest hikers I know & overall they are a friendly group.

S

SherpaKroto

13,258 days!!!

Well! Thanks all! Anyway, to answer SilentCal's question (we've met, but have never hiked together), it took 13,258 days from the first to the last! I first climbed Mt Washington on 7/23/1967 with my uncle Eddie. As Mike says, I kept climbing the Northern Presis, Mahoosucs, and Carter's for years before branching out. I again climbed Old Speck (actually my first 4K, but I didn't remember the date, sometime in 1966) in 1999, and figured it was time to get back on the list, never thinking I'd seriously try the NE67, never mind the NE100. I seriously refocused on the list starting on 7/3/2000 with Moriah and finished the last 81 since then, a span of 1224 days.

What's next? I'm working on the Winter 67 (who knows - maybe the 100), ADK46 (and Northeast 111). Hopefully, I'll get out west to do Shasta (ok, attempt!) this June/July, and I've got my sights set for Rainieir for my 50th Birthday in 2005. I also got dragged on a little section hike on the LT with Michelle (thruhiker) and Post'rBoy (AT New England thruhiker, and then some!), which was one of the best trips I've ever done. I love it all out there!

So, like others have said, I love to hike with new people, and have hiked with probably 50-60 folks from the various boards. I guess, you can never have enough friends! So, drop me a line if you fell like a hike. I hike rain, snow or shine!

SilentCal

Had the pleasure of meeting SherpaK at the Flags get-together two years ago and we chatted about hikes that we had done. Hats off to you for your acheivement :p

Frodo

I am also one of the many who have had the pleasure with hiking with Sherpa K (We climbed Washington in winter 2 years ago). I like the patch idea, but I can also visualize the "I've hiked with Sherpa K" bumper stickers...