• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic status?

Beetlenut

did talisman have bumps on it?

i never think of bump skiing at magic but with redline, master, and a few others bare, it would be a nice alternative.

Talisman had nice big powder bumps down the left side of it. The Black Line ledges were down to rock and ice in the afternoon when I hit them, but there were still ways around them. I was suprised that Sorcerer was closed as it had good snow down skiers left.

roark

Talisman had nice big powder bumps down the left side of it. The Black Line ledges were down to rock and ice in the afternoon when I hit them, but there were still ways around them. I was suprised that Sorcerer was closed as it had good snow down skiers left.
I should have checked out sorcerer... In terms of coverage, goniffs was the best all day, but of course getting to it witch was closed. Which was really a shame since it needed some more traffic to break up the crust a bit. Black had substantially better coverage than last week I thought.

Ropes at magic often seem to be more of a 'when we get around to it' thing. But shouldn't just be ignored...

Beetlenut

I should have checked out sorcerer... In terms of coverage, goniffs was the best all day, but of course getting to it witch was closed. Which was really a shame since it needed some more traffic to break up the crust a bit. Black had substantially better coverage than last week I thought.

Ropes at magic often seem to be more of a 'when we get around to it' thing. But shouldn't just be ignored...

We saw a couple of guys get asked to leave by Ski Patrol when they tried to go back up the red lift. Could only assume they were caught ducking ropes. A lot more ropes should have dropped on Saturday afternoon!

roark

We saw a couple of guys get asked to leave by Ski Patrol when they tried to go back up the red lift. Could only assume they were caught ducking ropes. A lot more ropes should have dropped on Saturday afternoon!

Not me. Still not used to that kind of enforcement. Tom from Austria must've had them on edge...

jrmagic

I'd be surprised if they got asked to leave for that. There was a guy who claimed he "fell" off the lift by the top of redline on Saturday. That is a reason you would get asked to leave. Actually that was pretty funny listening to Cameron and Jim trying to figure out how to get the guy off the rock he was clinging to. The other possibility is that they had no ticket in the first place.

Beetlenut

I'd be surprised if they got asked to leave for that. There was a guy who claimed he "fell" off the lift by the top of redline on Saturday. That is a reason you would get asked to leave. Actually that was pretty funny listening to Cameron and Jim trying to figure out how to get the guy off the rock he was clinging to. The other possibility is that they had no ticket in the first place.

I think I saw the aftermath of that by that orange Sobe banner. One guy looked like he messed up his face pretty good. I think the SP who was asking (telling) those guys to leave, was about 5' 7" and had a beard. One thing that bugged me on Saturday, was even though they stayed open till 5 pm, they closed the skiers left of the mountain at 4 pm. My friend and I were the last ones to get over there before they put the rope up.

ts01

If we're talking about the same incident -- my kids were on the chairlift watching this unfold -- they didn't see the alleged "fall" off the lift but reported that the kid who "fell" was a moron for either (a) jumping intentionally to ski closed parts of redline, or (b) not putting down the safety bar. Either way he ended up on terrain that was way over his newschool, baggy-pantsed head -- back to Mt Snow please, or Hunter -- and my girls got a good laugh out of it. Down by the racks at the end of the day we overhead Ski Patrol giving the kid a SERIOUS verbal beatdown. All good fun, but I had to explain the concept of "rollback" to the wife and kids, not a good subject to consider.

The skiing was superb, Black Line and Talisman were fun, though I was hoping they'd open a bit more -- wondered why Goniff Glades was not open, it looked great from the bottom and I try not to duck ropes when kids are in tow.

roark

One thing that bugged me on Saturday, was even though they stayed open till 5 pm, they closed the skiers left of the mountain at 4 pm. My friend and I were the last ones to get over there before they put the rope up.

Agreed, I wasn't expecting that. It's not like there's that many trails to sweep over there and patrol seemed to be adequately staffed.

The skiing was superb, Black Line and Talisman were fun, though I was hoping they'd open a bit more -- wondered why Goniff Glades was not open, it looked great from the bottom and I try not to duck ropes when kids are in tow.

Like I said earlier, Goniffs was very good - the best natural coverage on the hill. The only nasty part was right at the bottom.

Angus

skied there today and think they will have a hard time making it to next weekend if it warms up considerably on wed, thurs, friday. essentially two trails from the top (plus a glade run which was a joke) and with a smattering of trails on the bottom. I can see the appeal of the mountain with good snow but the days are numbered this season.

jrmagic

I had to leave there earl today and couldnt ski but one of the main workers there was fully expecting to be laid off effective today. I think we can stick a fork in magic:cry: I had a blat this year there jsut wish it would have lasted another couple of weeks.

Angus

well, I was wrong...

from the magic web site this am

This is Matt with your Monday, March 23 morning snow report.

Today we will be skiing and riding on 13 trails serviced by the Red Lift and Beginner Handle Tow from 9am to 4pm. Conditions will be loose and frozen granular under mostly sunny skies, temps around 30 and a light to moderate wind.