• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski of choice

gmcunni

prisnah

Hmm....tough question.

I think it'd be a 179 ObSETHed. Although Lhasa Pows would be great, and I wouldn't mind 182 VCTs, or a pair of s6 Koopmans...

But gotta go with the ObSETHeds here. With Dukes on em.

Ouch. Sounds like a return to the Atua with the turned up tail. I like the flat tip rather than the V shape. Bummer. I'll be searching for either an 08 or 09 Watea 94 when I need to replace my Atua.

its not a full twin like the Atua...just a slightly longer tail...and compared to the 0809 watea 94, the 09/10 has a squared off tail...so the edge length is effectively increased when the ski is laid over on hard snow...but it doesn't impact the way the ski skids or slides because the tail is turned up...check it out when you can, if you like the current 94 you'll probably find even more to like in next years...I have anyway.

Geoff

I've demoed a lot of skis this winter. I've concluded that I prefer a beefy wood core mid-fat that's ~85mm underfoot and around a 20 meter natural turn radius. I ski on the Salomon Fury. I'm equally happy on a Volkl AC50 or a K2 Apache Xplorer. Anything wider than that is a burden in the bumps and doesn't have much grip. Anything narrower doesn't have the float. If I skied in Utah instead of Vermont, I'd have a different opinion.

Damato

I just spent 3-days on 08-09 Watea 94's I picked up on Tramdock (1 @ Jay - hard and fast Friday; 2 @ Wildcat) and these ski's rock! Surprised at how easy they are to turn and hold on hardpack. They are a blast!

Rambo

Getting pretty interested in the Dynastar Sultan 85. Might try to demo if I (fingers crossed) make it to Tahoe next month.

Demoed the Dynastar Sultan 85 in a 172 length. Totally awesome ski. Will go anywhere and do everything. 126-85-110 with a quick 16 m turning radius. Wide enough to float in the soft stuff and carves great on the ice. Soft flexing ski, even though it has metal in it. Will cruise very fast and stable and will finish off turns easily to ski slow also. Turns are almost effortless.

Dynastar hit a home run with this ski.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Mondeo has it and not the twisters. Fischer Watea 94 with Marker Barons.

Actually couldn't be happier than my High Society Free Rides with Dukes. Really dig them.

As of right now, a 175 Fischer Progressor 9+ would be what I'd want. My quiver is pretty awesome as it right now. The only thing missing is a real rocket carving machine.

Alas, other priorities will probably keep me from adding such a ski for a couple of years.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I just spent 3-days on 08-09 Watea 94's I picked up on Tramdock (1 @ Jay - hard and fast Friday; 2 @ Wildcat) and these ski's rock! Surprised at how easy they are to turn and hold on hardpack. They are a blast!
Interesting. I was saving mine for pow. Now I'm gonna take them out tommorow and see what the day brings.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Do you have the 94's too? Seem to be becoming the AZ ski of choice.
Yes they are. Aftere a long discussion with Steve, I became convinced that was a good "east coast glades-powder ski. I just never thought about putting them on hardpacked. I'm going to take a backup pair with me tomorrow, in case the 94s don't work out!

wa-loaf

Yes they are. Aftere a long discussion with Steve, I became convinced that was a good "east coast glades-powder ski. I just never thought about putting them on hardpacked. I'm going to take a backup pair with me tomorrow, in case the 94s don't work out!

Not a substitute for a carving ski, but definitely competent on the hardpack.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think plenty skis nowadays in the 90-100 range are competent on packed powder. Hell, I skied my 110 Axiom every day the winter of 2000-2001 in Stowe. Granted that was a huge winter, but there were plenty of hardpack days as well that they worked for me. I dig my High Society's on groomers; very fast. On ice.......not so much

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Yes they are. Aftere a long discussion with Steve, I became convinced that was a good "east coast glades-powder ski. I just never thought about putting them on hardpacked.
Don't bother. They arc really nice big GS turns on packed powder. Truly an epic fail on hard pack conditions, though.

Philpug

Updated my decision...

Kastle MX88 in a 178

If I could go in they wayback machine...

K2 EIS (Extreme Ice Ski) from 1993

Don't bother. They arc really nice big GS turns on packed powder. Truly an epic fail on hard pack conditions, though.

maybe on boilerplate, bullet proof, old school east coast ice...but this weekend's conditions at the river were firm but grippy...watea 94 would have ripped quite nicely.