Does anybody still not wear a helmet??? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I'm with you in that I can't remember the last time I fell while carving, but I think the risk of sustaining a serious head injury while skiing fast on groomers is far greater than when I'm skiing bumps or trees.
    Risk = Probability x Consequence. I agree the consequences are greater, but the probability is so much lower that it outweighs the consequences. The point is moot, though.

2009-2010:
    Killington: 11/7, 11/21, 12/5, 12/6, 12/10, 12/12, 12/13, 12/22, 12/23, 1/1, 1/2, 1/9, 1/10, 1/23, 1/24 (15)

Ski Sundown: 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/24, 12/30, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, 1/7, 1/8, 1/11 - 1/22, 1/26-1/30 (27)
    EH XC: 12/21 (1)
    WNY XC/NELSAP BC: 12/29 (1)

Total: 44

i'm wearing mine as i type this.....

Quote Originally Posted by mondeo View Post
    Risk = Probability x Consequence. I agree the consequences are greater, but the probability is so much lower that it outweighs the consequences. The point is moot, though.
    I guess I just come at my stance from A. Personal experience in that the only time I've hurt my head badly was while skiing groomers and B. Most ski related deaths you read about in the east involve head trauma from a crash while someone was skiing at a high rate of speed on groomed terrain .

I put the consequences of badly injuring your head skiing bumps (unless it''s a freak thing like Jay) at near zero. If you hit your head in a crash going 40+ on a groomer the consequences are so much greater.

To each their own, but I find your logic flawed.

In math terms like you're using my feeling is this

Groomers
    Risk (100) = Probability (4) x Consequences (25)

Bumps
    Risk (50) = Probability (25) x Consequences (2)

I'm protecting my dome where the risk is double.

Quote Originally Posted by mondeo View Post
    ITo each their own, but I find your logic flawed.

Groomers

Bumps

If you hit your head in a crash going 40+ on a groomer the consequences are so much greater.
    I thought that even having a helmet wouldn't help at this speed...

I don't ski fast, but fast enough...and I've seen my kids get into crashes where, if they didn't have their helmet on, they would have ended up in the hospital with a serious head injury.

That said, it's a personal choice. I feel safer with a helmet on so I always wear one when skiing, but I'm not critical of those that choose not to.

Quote Originally Posted by 2knees View Post
    probably a smart move on your part wearing your helmet even while on the computer. My guess is you get smacked in the head pretty often

I guess I just come at my stance from A. Personal experience in that the only time I've hurt my head badly was while skiing groomers and B. Most ski related deaths you read about in the east involve head trauma from a crash while someone was skiing at a high rate of speed on groomed terrain .

I put the consequences of badly injuring your head skiing bumps (unless it''s a freak thing like Jay) at near zero. If you hit your head in a crash going 40+ on a groomer the consequences are so much greater.

To each their own, but I find your logic flawed.

Groomers

Bumps

We're both just guessing at the numbers anyways.

But it's actually not the bumps that are the reason I wear a helmet. It's skiing lines next to the woods, exposed rocks, terrain park, and flats drills. Get kicked out of a line and end up in the woods, I want a helmet. Skiing a natural snow bump run and fall on a rock, helmet. Launch a 20 ft booter backseat, want a helmet. Drilling flats, let my speed up too much, then catch an edge trying to do the same quick turns, I want a helmet. Middle of a well covered bump run or groomer while carving are both low risk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 2knees View Post
    Freaky. I just referenced that joke at lunch.
    2009-2010:
    Killington: 11/7, 11/21, 12/5, 12/6, 12/10, 12/12, 12/13, 12/22, 12/23, 1/1, 1/2, 1/9, 1/10, 1/23, 1/24 (15)

Ski Sundown: 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/24, 12/30, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, 1/7, 1/8, 1/11 - 1/22, 1/26-1/30 (27)
    EH XC: 12/21 (1)
    WNY XC/NELSAP BC: 12/29 (1)

Total: 44

Feb vacation, just lapping bumps with my daughter, I got hit twice from behind. First was going to the lift line, kid must have wanted to speed ahead of me and thought he had the clearance. Second was going down a green trail on our last run for the day. The last one spun me around big time and I fell on the back of my head. I got up, wasn't mad but was annoyed and had some choice words for the kid.

I've seen it dozens of times at wawa where out control skiers hit unsuspecting skiers/rider, never thought it would happen to me tho. I think i would be hurting big time if I wasn't wearing my helmet that day.
    Last edited by jack97; Mar 13, 2009 at 2:02 PM.
    I rather be @ss noodling

Geez. I need a helmet just to protect myself when I throw my head through the freakin' computer monitor...
    I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Geez. I need a helmet just to protect myself when I throw my head through the freakin' computer monitor...
    Why, did you think that Pi = 4?
    Brian

Thread Information