• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does anybody still not wear a helmet???

mondeo

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/18/obit.richardson/index.html

we differ in opinion and that's cool, but......for our loved ones, we all can never be too cautious. I might have to rethink my stance of going without a helmet on warm bump skiing days.
As sad as this event is, I try not to let individual events change my opinions on things. I'm probably more likely to die while wearing a helmet skiing trees or losing/catching an edge and hitting an immovable object than while not wearing a helmet at slow speeds or skiing spring bumps. Again, it comes back to risk vs. reward. Yes, the consequences impact friends and family, but at the extreme you end up never going outside.

The best any of us can do is try to account for all the risks, all consequences, and all the rewards, and make the best decision possible.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The best any of us can do is try to account for all the risks, all consequences, and all the rewards, and make the best decision possible.

True

I suppose I've just somehow arrived at a point where I view skiing with a helmet the same as wearing a seat belt while driving a car or more appropriately, wearing a helmet while on a motorcycle. There's zero justification not too. Kind of strange considering I didn't own one until late February last season...blew it off for years. But, I've got plenty of friends who ride motorcycles without helmets and it's their choice; I consider you a friend as do I anyone who I've made turns with and do respect your choice/opinion. Disagree, but respect

deadheadskier

Staff member
By the way, I also happen to talk on a cell phone while driving in downtown Boston traffic six hours a day....can't stand the blue tooth.

I'll probably be preaching against this behavior at some point in life as well. ;) There's no justification for it, I do it.

I also am a smoker :lol:

probably eat a bit too much red meat ......

drink too much sometimes .....

liked fast woman in college ..... probably still would if I wasn't happily attached

;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
i'm a former smoker. i'm amazed today when i see people lighting up. if not the health reasons, the cost!

don't you worry, I'll be the biggest anti cigarette nazi the world has ever seen when I quit for good :lol:

I've got no justification for smoking. But apparently I enjoy it much more than not wearing a helmet on a sunny day.

pretty stupid....

Trekchick

I'll take it off when it's warm. Slush is cushy enough to take the place of the helmet.

If I just skied groomers I wouldn't wear one. I can't remember the last time I fell when carving.

I find this statement totally bizarre.
I found this to be bizarre also. Most folks who sustain serious injury or death are advanced/expert skiers who get on a groomer to head back to the car at the end of the day, or do a cool down run. Some small variable on a groomer can easily send you into the trees at a high rate of speed.

However, .........I'm making an observation, not a judgement.

Preference. Just how we (choo-choo) choose to ski.

I could list a number of reasons, but then there would be a urinating contest.
I choose to wear a helmet, but I have no propensity to pass judgement on those who don't. In fact. some of those who I ski with who don't wear a helmet are among some of those who I hold in very high regard and consider some of the most intelligent folks I ski with.

Thank You...one of the points I'm going to bring up is how the ski patrollers should be required to wear helmets..it sets a good example..
IMHO this is just wrong. The patrol may lose some very good patrollers if its made mandatory.
Skiing recklessly effects others.
Not wearing a helmet effects you and your family.
Personal choice my friend.

bvibert

Staff member
I might have to rethink my stance of going without a helmet on warm bump skiing days.

I've had a few warm bump days in the last couple weeks. I was tempted to take off my helmet when the sun was shining and the temps were in the 50's and even 60's, but I left it on and I was fine so long as I took it off on the chair rides to let my head cool down. I'll take the added safety over the minor inconvenience of some head sweat. I wear a Giro G10 and have the ear flaps removed for spring action.

mondeo

90% of ski helmets will protect up to 17 mph impacts. Over 17 mph you need an expensive race rated helmet.
Protect against 17 mph impacts in what way? Dead stop head on into an immovable object? Grazing impacts? Falls?

Rambo

Protect against 17 mph impacts in what way? Dead stop head on into an immovable object? Grazing impacts? Falls?

"Helmets have been shown to protect the heads of recreational skiers traveling at a rate of 12 to 17 miles an hour, but typically not at higher speeds. Professional skiers and snowboarders, who surpass those speeds, are required to wear more sophisticated helmets."

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/18/richardsons-accident-reignites-ski-helmet-debate/?hp

mondeo

"Helmets have been shown to protect the heads of recreational skiers traveling at a rate of 12 to 17 miles an hour, but typically not at higher speeds. Professional skiers and snowboarders, who surpass those speeds, are required to wear more sophisticated helmets."

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/18/richardsons-accident-reignites-ski-helmet-debate/?hp
Still doesn't answer the question. Protects the heads of recreational skiers from what? Trees? Falling on ice? Other skiers? Lift tower padding? And what does protection entail? No damage? 50% reduction in damage?

The basic function of a helmet is to increase the amount of time it takes for the head to slow down, which reduces the acceleration/force seen by the head. Any helmet will do this no matter what the speed. My point is that a blanket statement that helmets protect skiers up to 17mph is highly incomplete, and almost useless.

Rambo

Still doesn't answer the question. Protects the heads of recreational skiers from what? Trees? Falling on ice? Other skiers? Lift tower padding? And what does protection entail? No damage? 50% reduction in damage?

The basic function of a helmet is to increase the amount of time it takes for the head to slow down, which reduces the acceleration/force seen by the head. Any helmet will do this no matter what the speed. My point is that a blanket statement that helmets protect skiers up to 17mph is highly incomplete, and almost useless.

Look. I ski 28 times a year and have never worn a helmet. But I am considering it now. I was just doing a little basic reading concerning helmets and am trying to be more informed. I take it you recommend skiers wear helmets?

ERJ-145CA

I always wear a helmet now but I didn't until 2 seasons ago when I was getting my hair cut and talking about skiing with my barber and he asked me if I wear a helmet. I told him no and he told me a story about how a helmet saved him one day, I went out and bought one soon after that. Now I like it better than a hat.

gmcunni

Having kids has made me rethink many of the habits i developed as a youth/young adult. it was an interesting conversation i had with my daughter regarding bike helmets not too long ago.

her - Daddy, why do i have to wear a bike helmet?

me - to help protect you if fall honey.

her - Why don't you wear one, don't you want to be safe too?

i had all sorts of answers for this. bottom line i now wear a bike (and ski) helmet almost all the time. My choice to do something that *might* help prevent an injury or something worse. It is for the benefit of my family more so than me. Same reason i go to the DR for (somewhat) regular check ups, people i love depend on me.

Having kids has made me rethink many of the habits i developed as a youth/young adult. it was an interesting conversation i had with my daughter regarding bike helmets not too long ago.

her - Daddy, why do i have to wear a bike helmet?

me - to help protect you if fall honey.

her - Why don't you wear one, don't you want to be safe too?

i had all sorts of answers for this. bottom line i now wear a bike (and ski) helmet almost all the time. My choice to do something that *might* help prevent an injury or something worse. It is for the benefit of my family more so than me. Same reason i go to the DR for (somewhat) regular check ups, people i love depend on me.

You should also want to be healthy and safe for yourself!!!!!