• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does anybody still not wear a helmet???

Rossi Smash

A proper tuque is my headgear of choice till temps reach about 40 degrees, then nothing.
I don't care what you wear so don't preach to me either....

Philpug

I'll take it off when it's warm. Slush is cushy enough to take the place of the helmet.

If I just skied groomers I wouldn't wear one. I can't remember the last time I fell when carving.

As mentioned you are much more at risk on the open groomers than the woods.

I recall reading that MRG is one of the few areas that have zero skier deaths, I guess that it caters to a higher quality skier and you tend not to get the high rate of speed that you get on a well manecured blue/black groomer.

I won't go into the details on why I wear a helmet, but I started about 4 years ago and have been happy with the choice. Since I got the helmet, I have skied 1 day without it.

With the advancements in helmets, weight is no longer a reasonable excuse. visability is no longer a reasonable excuse, ventilation is no longer a reasonable excuse. There are probaly 20 reasons to wear a helmet nut less than 5 not to..So "other than personal choice", why wouldn't you wear one?

Geoff

it was warm today, i didn't wear a helmet.

+1

I put mine on in my condo at 8:20 and drove to the hill. After I pulled chairs, folding table, and grill out of the SUV, I opted for sunscreen, sunglasses, and a wool hat. In the spring, I only wear a helmet on goggle days.

Philpug

+1

I put mine on in my condo at 8:20 and drove to the hill. After I pulled chairs, folding table, and grill out of the SUV, I opted for sunscreen, sunglasses, and a wool hat. In the spring, I only wear a helmet on goggle days.

Out of curiosity... Do you not where your seatbelt unless you are going on the highway?

Geoff

Out of curiosity... Do you not where your seatbelt unless you are going on the highway?

There's a seatbelt law. I always wear my seatbelt.

The reason I wear a helmet is for tree skiing. If I never skied the woods, I probably wouldn't wear a helmet.

Philpug

There's a seatbelt law. I always wear my seatbelt.

The reason I wear a helmet is for tree skiing. If I never skied the woods, I probably wouldn't wear a helmet.

Well, good luck with that. :roll:

Geoff

Good luck with being an asshole!!!

Yeah, I have a big problem with the smug "I wear a helmet" attitude. My observation is that it gives people a very false sense of security. An awful lot of people put on a helmet and ski outside their control envelope. I guess when you're buzzing around the boring groomed flats at Okemo in your speed suit, everybody wears a helmet. If you're on ungroomed spring mush bumps at a mountain with more pitch where you have to dial back the speed, there's not a heck of a lot of risk.

Philpug

Yeah, I have a big problem with the smug "I wear a helmet" attitude.
Along with the "I'm cooler than you, I don't wear one".

My observation is that it gives people a very false sense of security.
Like driving a SUV?

An awful lot of people put on a helmet and ski outside their control envelope.
One of the reasons I wear a helmet, if I get hit by one of these people, it is just more protection I have.

I guess when you're buzzing around the boring groomed flats at Okemo in your speed suit, everybody wears a helmet.
I happen to ski Okemo among other areas, but do not where a speed suit, so who are you talking about?

If you're on ungroomed spring mush bumps at a mountain with more pitch where you have to dial back the speed, there's not a heck of a lot of risk.
This is one area, I agree with you on. But Ms. Richardson was on a beginner green trail in the similar type spring conditions, the same argument could be said for that terrain.

But if you have an issue with anyone, talk to GS, he started the thread questioning people who don't.

gmcunni

it was warm today but i worm my helmet anyway. good thing too, many falls today, one of which my helmet took the brunt of the force. i still got a headache though.