• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does anybody still not wear a helmet???

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
pretty much always for me, my friend who's been skiing 20+ years says his helmet slows him down...
At least he is accepting the additional wind-drag caused by snowpants/jackets....
Please don't take this the wrong way, but that's gotta be the stupidest reason I've ever heard not to wear a helmet.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Even this guy is wearing a helmet :blink::eek:

IMG_0384.jpg

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
:confused:I've never worn a helmet and actually hadn't paid attention to how prevelent they have become. I felt like odd man out. I dunno why, I mountain bike all the time and wouldn't dare ride my bike without a helmet, but for some reason I feel like it's just more dangerous, I could hit a rock or something, whereas for the most part skiing is just snow. Although there are the icy patches and rocks and glades and other skiiers and lift poles and and and.

I've always thought people who didn't wear helmets on a bicycle had a death wish, while it's totally cool to ski without one. :confused:

gmcunni

:confused:I've never worn a helmet and actually hadn't paid attention to how prevelent they have become. I felt like odd man out. I dunno why, I mountain bike all the time and wouldn't dare ride my bike without a helmet, but for some reason I feel like it's just more dangerous, I could hit a rock or something, whereas for the most part skiing is just snow. Although there are the icy patches and rocks and glades and other skiiers and lift poles and and and.

I've always thought people who didn't wear helmets on a bicycle had a death wish, while it's totally cool to ski without one. :confused:

my helmet took a lot of hits in the woods this past weekend.

wa-loaf

Wayne probably would not have recovered from his concussion on Friday to ski the weekend without his helmet. As it was he still can't remember a whole run.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Wayne probably would not have recovered from his concussion on Friday to ski the weekend without his helmet. As it was he still can't remember a whole run.

Seriously? I hadn't even heard of that, and I talked to him on Saturday. At least I'm pretty sure it was him. I'm still learning everyone's names!

Edd

Is this Wjenness? Saw that mentioned somewhere. What happened?

bvibert

Staff member

Seems kinda silly when you think about it that way, doesn't it? Just get a helmet. You won't even notice it's there, and your head will stay warmer. Plus you'll have somewhere to stick an AZ sticker (the next time someone makes some more..). It's a win-win.

wa-loaf

Is this Wjenness? Saw that mentioned somewhere. What happened?

Had a bad landing on a drop at Saddleback and hit his head hard. I guess he was out for a sec and then really out of it. He can't remember the rest of the run after that. Helmet lining was cracked in half. I'm sure there are more details he or someone who was there could fill in.

Morwax

I wear a helmet all the time, sometimes right through lunch. On another note more people get hurt in skiing/riding accidents who wear helmets statistically.

wa-loaf

I wear a helmet all the time, sometimes right through lunch. On another note more people get hurt in skiing/riding accidents who wear helmets statistically.

Statistically people like to say "statistically" to support their opinion without actually pointing to any facts. How about pointing out one of these studies? What's the sample group and how do you compare when the majority of people wear helmets these days? How about the severity of the injuries with and without a helmet?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com

The first time you hit your head hard, and you're not using a helmet you start to think to your self..."so that's why so many people are wearing helmets now!"

my helmet took a lot of hits in the woods this past weekend.
excellent :beer:

Morwax

Statistically people like to say "statistically" to support their opinion without actually pointing to any facts. How about pointing out one of these studies? What's the sample group and how do you compare when the majority of people wear helmets these days? How about the severity of the injuries with and without a helmet?
What opinion? I stated I wear a helmet. Ill have to go look it up. But yes they believe people are more likely to take risks wearing a helmet but there are too many factors.
The head injury people advocate wearing a brain bucket.

deadheadskier

Staff member
What opinion? I stated I wear a helmet. Ill have to go look it up. But yes they believe people are more likely to take risks wearing a helmet but there are too many factors.
The head injury people advocate wearing a brain bucket.

I can believe the opinion that people wearing helmet take more risks in regards to inexperienced skiers.

I started wearing a helmet about 4 seasons ago. I didn't start skiing faster or taking more risks because of it. I'd say most of the folks I know wearing them would say the same thing.

gmcunni

I started wearing a helmet about 4 seasons ago. I didn't start skiing faster or taking more risks because of it. I'd say most of the folks I know wearing them would say the same thing.

me too, same rough time frame. i ski a little better now than i did then. It is the result of my skiing ability improvement that i find myself in situations where the helmet is beneficial.