• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does anybody still not wear a helmet???

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
me too, same rough time frame. i ski a little better now than i did then. It is the result of my skiing ability improvement that i find myself in situations where the helmet is beneficial.
same here, plus I'm using way better equipment now, so it's a little easier to get my self into those situtations

Cannonball

I wear a helmet all the time, sometimes right through lunch. On another note more people get hurt in skiing/riding accidents who wear helmets statistically.

That's because the people not wearing helmets end up on the "dead" stats sheet instead of the "hurt" stats sheet.

I'm just making this up of course, but then so are you. Let's see the reference for your statistics before we bother debating this one.

Morwax

That's because the people not wearing helmets end up on the "dead" stats sheet instead of the "hurt" stats sheet.

I'm just making this up of course, but then so are you. Let's see the reference for your statistics before we bother debating this one.

Read it again.. wouldnt the statistics favor the majority? It was kind of meant as a joke. But in all seriousness the death rate has remained constant.
http://www.skihelmets.org/2010/12/study-finds-ski-helmets-reduce-injury-but-not-death/

wa-loaf

I wear a helmet all the time, sometimes right through lunch. On another note more people get hurt in skiing/riding accidents who wear helmets statistically.

A study of ski helmet use in North America by the country’s National Ski Area’s Association (NSAA) has found that growing helmet use over the past decade has reduced injuries, but not deaths.

Read what I said "before" very carefully as it is also true.

Um, sounds like the exact opposite.:dunce:

Morwax

Its a sobering fact for example that more than half of the people involved in fatal accidents in 2008/09 at ski areas in the USA were wearing helmets at the time of the incident (Source - NSAA). As Shealy states "Even though the prevalence of helmet utilization is rising by 4 to 5 percent per year in the U.S., there has been no statistically significant observable effect on the incident of fatality."

wa-loaf

But more people wear helmets now..so statistically more people who wear helmets get hurt right?

You are jumping to a conclusion. It doesn't specify how much they are down. All you can take from it is More Helmets = Fewer Injuries; More Helmets = Same amount of Deaths.

wa-loaf

Its a sobering fact for example that more than half of the people involved in fatal accidents in 2008/09 at ski areas in the USA were wearing helmets at the time of the incident (Source - NSAA). As Shealy states "Even though the prevalence of helmet utilization is rising by 4 to 5 percent per year in the U.S., there has been no statistically significant observable effect on the incident of fatality."

You are mixing up injuries and fatalities now. Your original statement was about injuries, not fatalities (Which you would be wrong about anyway since they have remained level) So to repeat injuries are down, deaths remain the same. So the injuries where you wack a branch or fall down and hit your head are down. If you are going mach whatever and hit a tree, nothing will help you.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I dunno. I like to push it fairly hard when I go skiing, explore my limits. I can't think of a day I've ever gone skiing where I didn't yard sale it at least once. Binding issues aside, I came out of my ski's at least 7 or 8 times at Sugarloaf between Saturday and Sunday. Probably 1/2 of those times were unexpected, binding issues, (e.g. doing the mogels and the skis stayed put when I hit one particularly hard, but I kept going)
but the other 1/2 were probably good releases from just not hitting my landings right on jumps (primarily) or losing it downhill. Most were low-speed, but still.

gmcunni

I dunno. I like to push it fairly hard when I go skiing, explore my limits. I can't think of a day I've ever gone skiing where I didn't yard sale it at least once. Binding issues aside, I came out of my ski's at least 7 or 8 times at Sugarloaf between Saturday and Sunday. Probably 1/2 of those times were unexpected, binding issues, (e.g. doing the mogels and the skis stayed put when I hit one particularly hard, but I kept going)
but the other 1/2 were probably good releases from just not hitting my landings right on jumps (primarily) or losing it downhill. Most were low-speed, but still.

do yourself a favor, get a helmet and get a white one so you can be like BVIBERT!

Morwax

Crank those bindings down:daffy:

Dr Skimeister

The only rationale I need is that I never want to be in a situation where I would say, "Damn, I wish I had been wearing a helmet". The helmets I've had over the years have been lightweight and don't hinder hearing or vision.

It's a "no brainer".

gmcunni

The only rationale I need is that I never want to be in a situation where I would say, "Damn, I wish I had been wearing a helmet". The helmets I've had over the years have been lightweight and don't hinder hearing or vision.

It's a "no brainer".

well, i can't agree 100% with the hearing comment but it isn't as bad as i imaged it would be.

campgottagopee

I've never worn a helmet for skiing.....simply because when I grew up nobody wore them, NOBODY...never

That said, it makes sense and I'll have one for next year for sure...can't afford anymore dain bramage than I already have :spin:

wa-loaf

I've never worn a helmet for skiing.....simply because when I grew up nobody wore them, NOBODY...never

That said, it makes sense and I'll have one for next year for sure...can't afford anymore dain bramage than I already have :spin:

What happened to Wayne is exactly the kind of thing you want a helmet for. I'm sure he would have spend the weekend in the hospital instead of ripping it up with us in the woods.

But it's a personal choice and I don't want to make any have to wear them except maybe kids.

vdk03

I dont wear a helmet, but the more i look around the more I see people wearing them. I was looking through the superquad line at sugarloaf (which was packed) and it seemed 95% of people were wearing one. The benefits of a helmet are clear, but i like being able to put up my hood when the winds are whipping and the snow is dumping.

buellski

I started wearing one when we had kids. That was 11 years ago. Now I think I'll always wear one. In my opinion, they're warmer than hats, plus mine has headphones built into the ear flaps :flame:

They can definitely get a bit uncomfortable on warm days, but I can open up all the vents and remove the ear flaps which helps. Of course, then I have to use ear-buds to listen to music :p