• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Improvements

Sparky

I know we have stopped doing the Challange thing, but is there any way to some sort of consolidated input on planned improvements, expansions, etc.?

deadheadskier

Staff member
My guess is it would take industry cooperation and right now with an uncertain economic outlook for the 2009-2010 season most major projects are probably on the shelf.

Sparky

My guess is it would take industry cooperation and right now with an uncertain economic outlook for the 2009-2010 season most major projects are probably on the shelf.

I doesn't have to be a major project, just somethnig that would be of interest to the semi fanatic. ie: more trails light of night skiing, widening trails etc.

drjeff

Mount Snow is likely to have lights + Music on the beginner Grommet Terrain Park next to the Carinthia Base lodge with likely extra running of the lift and some under the lights sessions there next year. Plus some likely minor trail regrading in a few locations.

Hopefully they'll be receiving their ACT 250 permit approval in the coming months for their West Lake water expansion project leading to start of the project hopefully next winter for operation in the '10/'11 season(*fingers crossed*)

ripcordracing24

Hey guys.

I'm new to the thread but have been reading the posts for quite some time. Drjeff, you are an avid mt snow skier and pass-holder are you not? I couldn't make it to the meeting but was wondering if you were there and had any insight into improvements for next year. You mentioned some stuff w/ the parks and regrading. Have the snowmaking and lift upgrades been put on hold? Any additional info about the pass-holder's meeting (if you were there) would be great.

arik

I think this is a great time for Northeast ski resorts to invest in improvements. Buisness has been good for 2 years(in terms of skiing in the Northeast), interest rates are low, and labor is available.
If projects are shelved they will cost much more later.

Geoff

I think this is a great time for Northeast ski resorts to invest in improvements. Buisness has been good for 2 years(in terms of skiing in the Northeast), interest rates are low, and labor is available.

With all the uncertainty about the economy, I doubt much will be happening. We've had back to back good snow years. A lean snow year in the face of a very weak economy would be a financial disaster.

deadheadskier

Staff member
With all the uncertainty about the economy, I doubt much will be happening. We've had back to back good snow years. A lean snow year in the face of a very weak economy would be a financial disaster.

I think we dodged a bullet this winter too with the cheapest gas prices in years. If gas was $4 in an economy like we currently have, I'd imagine that would drop skier visits by 10% or more even in a good snow year.

drjeff

Hey guys.

I'm new to the thread but have been reading the posts for quite some time. Drjeff, you are an avid mt snow skier and pass-holder are you not? I couldn't make it to the meeting but was wondering if you were there and had any insight into improvements for next year. You mentioned some stuff w/ the parks and regrading. Have the snowmaking and lift upgrades been put on hold? Any additional info about the pass-holder's meeting (if you were there) would be great.

Check your PM's

drjeff

Gotta agree with Geoff on this one. I bet that we'll end up seeing a majority of Eastern Resorts up solidily attendance wise over last year, BUT with the economic uncertainty of the coming months, and the difficulty in actually obtaining the credit for a LARGE capital improvement(low interest rate are great *if* you can actually find a lender willing TO lend, Id bet that most CEO's/CFO's/GM's will be looking to sit on a larger percentage than usual of the profits. Just in case next year is a financial disaster

Telemechanic

Loon's Plans

Loon's mountain crew has begun clearing another trail on South Peak. Yesterday brush fires were visible in the woods along Boom Run just downhill from the junction with Ripsaw. Right now the plan for 2009 only includes clearing the trees, no grading or snow-making. The new trail route parallels Ripsaw on skiers right and I believe it'll be named "Twitcher".

It's looking like Blue mountain is going to open up the nightmare trail..possibly widen lower Paradise and they are purchasing a winch cat..They had a record season in terms of attendence due to our cold and snowy winter.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm most interested in seeing what Saddleback does this summer. Of all the areas in the Northeast, they have the most ambitious expansion plans.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Sugarbush plans to start work in the spring on Phase II of Lincoln Peak Village, which will construct a group of buildings in the present "interim" village, effectively replacing the Rental shop in the trailer, the sprung building, ticket office, etc. The plans and renderings are displayed on the Gate House stairway. The infamous "parking lot to slope side" stairs will be removed as well.

Last edited:

drjeff

there is an article in todays "Deerfield Valley News" about a change and progress in the Mount Snow West Lake water project

http://www.dvalnews.com/features.php?features/features3.html

Nice. I do find it a bit comical though that when commenting about the changes that they(Mount Snow) made to satisfy the ANR's concerns in the latest proposal, that the attorney says basically, we'll let the ANR review this latest proposal and see see WHAT issues the ANR has with it, not IF they have any issues with it :rolleyes: