• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any Black Toes

tjf67

Left big toe has been bruised off and on throughout the season. I'm sure if I were to ski a bit more frequently, I'd probably damage it to the point of losing it.

For those that have lost a toe nail during the season, did the discomfort keep you from getting out? If so, for how long?

Has never kept me grom getting out. Has gotten me out of some household chores.

Hey Cheesey didn't you go to the hospital to get your black toe punctured?

Has never kept me grom getting out. Has gotten me out of some household chores.

Hey Cheesey didn't you go to the hospital to get your black toe punctured?

Dude..I wouldn't go to the hospital if I had a minor gunshot wound..lol..

Greg

Staff member
I skied last Sunday with unclipped nails. My right foot is a bit bigger and right up there in the boot. Long toenail plus too much back seat = bruised toe. :lol: Under the nail is bruised, but I'm not sure if it's bad enough to lose it or not.

It's taken three months, but this sucker is about to pop off. Gonna have gnar toe this summer. Sweet!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I never experience toenails falling off before... it was lots of fun when I lost them last month. :lol: They look fine now, though.

Geoff

I get black toe in the summer when I screw up and do the combination of uncut toenails and forgetting to tighen my hiking shoes.

With ski boots, I use custom liners and shells that are long enough that I don't reach the front of the boot. I haven't lost a toenail skiing since I crossed over from Langes with stock liners in 2000.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
This thread is worthless without pictures..
Toe-Deformities.jpg

Zand

No black toes, but my left big toenail is about to fall off. A couple years ago I knocked my right one off during ski season, then that summer my perfectly fine left one randomly came off too.

Hawkshot99

Couple years ago I slammed my big tow into something on the floor walking in the dark. Ended up losing the nail right before ski season. Didn't feel great, but was doable.

Also crushed my finger in a Rossi Axial binding when mounting it. It clamped on and I could not get it off, as the blood squirted out. 2 years later the nail finally looks normal.

jerryg

I typically lose my left big toe nail in mid December. This year I lost that one in December and the right big toe nail in March. Got frostbite in both big toes, but that's kind been going on for a long time. I will say that when you've lost a nail and you ski in sub freezing temps, your toe has no protection - obviously. The right one has almost grown all the way back, but the right got infected somewhat and for a while I thought I was in for a podiatrist visit this summer, but home surgery can be quite effective, albeit stupid.

The boots I'm in now are the right size, but the problem began after skiing in boots that were actually too big for me. I want to thank the shop that sold me those several years back... :puke:

The boots I'm in now are the right size, but the problem began after skiing in boots that were actually too big for me. I want to thank the shop that sold me those several years back... :puke:

It's pretty common for ski shops to sell people boots that are too large..It's rare for them to even instruct customers to first take the liner out when fitting..at least in my experiences. My left big toenail which fell off back in November is just about fully grown back and I didn't have any pain from it and never went to a foot Dr. If I had a minor gunshot wound I'd avoid going to the Dr.

Greg

Staff member
It's taken three months, but this sucker is about to pop off. Gonna have gnar toe this summer. Sweet!

This thing is taking its time. It still looks "healthy" on the right side, but the left side lifts away from the nail bed. It'll hurt like a bitch if I snag it on anything... :blink:

bigbog

Usually a bad Liner...

Have new boots. Had bad form at the beginning of the season. ;)
A condition of which I've just forgotten the name of....longer 2nd toe quite prevalent(have it myself)....just have liner cut/resewn to elongate slightly, or do it yourself Carrie. Situation is NOT comfortable... If it's also a shell issue...just have a bootfitter make more room...punching out takes more time/heat in the toebox, but not a problem.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
A condition of which I've just forgotten the name of....longer 2nd toe quite prevalent(have it myself)....just have liner cut/resewn to elongate slightly, or do it yourself Carrie. Situation is NOT comfortable... If it's also a shell issue...just have a bootfitter make more room...punching out takes more time/heat in the toebox, but not a problem.
You mean there's a technical name other than bitch toe? ;)

It ended up being okay, just was a problem at the beginning of the season that I paid for with my toenails. Boots are broken in now and fine. But I will have to have work like that done on Trekchick's boots that she gave me. Those are going to be like race-fit boots, I swear. ;)

Mildcat

This thing is taking its time. It still looks "healthy" on the right side, but the left side lifts away from the nail bed. It'll hurt like a bitch if I snag it on anything... :blink:

I ripped mine off last week cause it kept getting snagged. It was only a small part of the corner that was still attached.